F1

Can you tie a championship?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Sean
    Participant

The article the other day where keith discussed no one winning a championship without winning at lease one race got me wondering, Is it at all possible to tie the championships (either of them)? What happens if there is a tie? I would love to see a 1 vs 1 race as a tie break :D.

raymondu999
    Participant

If you’re tied on points, the title goes to the one who has more victories. If equal on that, to the one with more 2nd places. If equal on 1sts and 2nds, then it goes to who has more 3rds. If they’re equal on all counts up to equal number of 24th positions they have… well… then it goes to whoever is closer to Bernie :P

Sean
    Participant

Thanks for awnsering :) i think i would preffer “extra-time” or “sudden death”

raymondu999
    Participant

I think @keithcollantine should be better placed to answer the question of what happens after a countback tie and a points tie. Should be noted though that a points AND countback tie together, are not possible if you have an odd number of races on the calendar.

Journeyer
    Participant

Should be noted though that a points AND countback tie together, are not possible if you have an odd number of races on the calendar.

Why not? It’s still possible if you had the exact same results, albeit in a different order.

raymondu999
    Participant

@Journeyer Picture a 19-race calendar. We have 2 drivers who’ve each got 9 wins and 9 second places. Even if both DNF the last race, they finish in a different order of classification. a countback tie means you have to have enough to have the same result.

Nic Morley
    Participant

What we have 18 races. In each race driver 1 and driver 2 finish 1st and 2nd in all of them. 6 of them it id driver 1 who is the higher placed; the other 6 driver 2 is the higher placed?

Who wins?

raymondu999
    Participant

@RoboCAT

What we have 18 races. In each race driver 1 and driver 2 finish 1st and 2nd in all of them. 6 of them it id driver 1 who is the higher placed; the other 6 driver 2 is the higher placed?

Who wins?

Ummm… that depends on who gets the other 6? Lol. Read my post above. It explains the whole situation except for the ultimate situation of a countback and points tie.

Journeyer
    Participant

@raymondu999 Theoretically, you can have a situation where the two leading drivers have 5 wins, 5 seconds, 5 thirds, and 4 fourths – except that they did it in a different order to each other. The remaining 9 races could be spread out among the other drivers.

Nic Morley
    Participant

I meant the first 6 races Alonso wins, and the next 6 races Kartikeyan wins. Kartikeyan finsihed 2nd in the first 6 races. Alonso finsihed 2nd in the final 6 races.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@RoboCAT – HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Alonso winning 6 races and finishing second 6 times :’)
    Classic Joke

Nic Morley
    Participant

Lo, just realised I mucked up my post. I meant 8 times win and 8 times 2nd.

Sean
    Participant

So:
    If webber gets nothing but 4th all season and ties to win with say button who has some wins some 2nds , 3rds ect… their place will be determined in the championship as button ahead of webber because if has won a race?

matt90
    Participant

Yes.

matt90
    Participant

@robocat Are you sure you didn’t mean 9 wins and 2nds?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.