F1

Caterham's crowdfunding

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What do you guys think of Caterham’s efforts in turning to fans to fund their entry to the Abu Dhabi race https://www.crowdcube.com/caterham/

Has anyone here donated to it?

I have to admire the team for this. In spite of Bernie’s mocking, this is a team so determined to race it’s doing everything possible to do so. They have already raised £1m, but I wonder if they can raise another £1.5m in just 2 weeks. I’m going to do it; I mean £10 for a Caterham drawer-string bag isn’t a bad deal!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would donate if I had assurance they would have Rubens Barrichello as driver. What? I never claimed I am not selfish.

In the end, I agree with you. I like their passion and the prominent (i.e. relevant) people who have complained about this thing are the ones who made it necessary to begin with. I hope they can do it or at least get close enough to make a rudimentary appearance to grab some extra dollars for a possible entry in 2015.

Nick
    Participant

The thing is, it’s not exactly the team doing this. It’s a bunch of random administrators who also work for the crowdfunding website. Imagine if HSBC took control of Marussia and asked for crowdfunding; people would be outraged. Frankly, I’m surprised not more people are at the Caterham situation.

If it were a bunch of employees who started it, I would have donated. But the link between the administrators and crowdfunding website, as well as the completely anonymous feeling I get from the campaign leave a foul taste in my mouth.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

I admire them for trying to get back onto the grid, however I fear this is the administrators way of securing them 10th (and the money that comes with it) and therefore just reducing the debt.

I do hope I’m wrong though and it genuinely works and they’re back in 2015.

As it stands though, I can’t see it happening. They have 3 days left, and are only 50% there.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks @npf1 and @bradley13 this was something I didn’t know – I assumed it was the team doing this. It changes a lot for me now, and whether I take part in it.

Todd
    Participant

@bradey13 – That’s my feelings as well on the issue. It seems more scam than anything else. The administrators are trying to use F1 Fans to pay their way onto the Abu Dhabi grid, so they can claim 10th place and the $30-40 Million (IIRC) that comes with it, without having to put any money at all into it. There’s absolutely no way they’re going to be around in 2015.

the_donz
    Participant

I bought a wheel but for £75

And its used!

If Marussia don’t show up do they lose 9th?

Sauber then gets 9th and Caterham 10th

Unless caterham scores points.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This announcement from the crowdcube website. Looks like they’re going!

Caterham F1 Team to race in Abu Dhabi thanks to the fans

The Caterham F1 Team is delighted to announce that it will be racing at the final Formula 1 Grand Prix of the season in Abu Dhabi on 23rd November thanks to the support of the fans, who have helped the team raise enough money. But you can still support the team and get involved. The deadline has been extended to midnight (GMT) Sunday 23rd November.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.