F1

Civilian Killed In F1 Protest

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Ben Sweeney
    Participant

A man has died in Bahrain following an F1 protest in the unsettled kingdom. 22-year-old Ahmed Ismael Abdulsamad was shot in the right thigh on Saturday as he filmed a protest in the Shia village of Salmabad that plainclothes security forces tried to break up with tear gas and rubber bullets.

Opposition groups blamed “militiamen” accompanying security forces, saying they fired live bullets at the protesters from a civilian car, hitting Abdulsamad. Police fired tear gas to disperse the small gatherings and made some arrests, according to footage taken by protesters..

Activists have intensified their campaign to push Formula One to cancel the Bahrain round of the world championship, slated for April 20-22 at the Sakhir circuit, southwest of Manama.

Last years Bahrain Grand Prix was cancelled due to the unrest that gripped the Shiite-majority state after a mid-March brutal crackdown on protests demanding democratic reforms that would challenge the power of the Sunni Al-Khalifa ruling dynasty. This year, on Twitter, a whole campaign has been launched against the return of the Grand Prix to Bahrain.

“Stop, my blood is flowing” and “race over blood,” were two slogans posted by activists on Twitter, where hashtags like BloodyF1 and NoF1 generate scores of tweets.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has insisted that the outbreak of fresh violence will not affect this year’s grand prix.

Defending champion Sebastian Vettel and seven-time winner Michael Schumacher lately supported the return to Bahrain.

If you follow me on twitter, you will know that I am strongly opposed to the race going ahead, given the circumstances in the kingdom, especially the way the police forces are treating civilian protesters, and this further shows that the kingdom is not stable and not yet ready to stage a race.

The race is scheduled to take place on April 22nd.

xbx-117
    Participant

Looking forward to the race.

Ben Sweeney
    Participant

It shouldn’t go ahead.

Todfod
    Participant

Bernie has no conscience. That man is as evil as he is greedy

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@bensweeneysf1blog, @todfod – Glad to see you’ve done your bit for Bahrain. I bet you shared the KONY 2012 video on Facebook, and left it at that, too.

Todfod
    Participant

Thanks @Prisoner Monkeys. Unfortunately, I do not have the ability or time to be a constant loudmouth and comment on every issue. I’m sure that posting my opinion on absolutely everything would definitely improve the situation in Bahrain.

We appreciate all that you’ve done so far for that country.. keep up the good work.

Funkyf1
    Participant

So much compassion @Prisoner Monkeys I don’t recall you supporting the Australian GP? what gives you the right to belittle people on their opinions regarding other countries.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It’s a question of doing something useful with your moral outrage. Tell me, what does posting an opinion on an internet forum do for Bahrain? Nobody associated with the organising of the event is going to see it, much less act on it. It’s fairly obvious that some people here feel that the race should not go ahead, but how are you actually achieving anything constructive? What you are essentially doing is yelling into an empty room and expecting someone to hear it. There are other, more appropriate ways of addressing the issue.

Todfod
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys. All of us here are just posting thoughts. If you were looking for people taking action for saving the world from oppression, injustice, poverty, etc. , you have definitely come to the wrong place. I suggest you visit civilianheroes.co.uk to find people who can justifiably went their rage against all kinds of issues.

In the meantime, get off that high horse and cut down on the condescending attitude. It doesn’t sit well with a lot of people.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Really? Because I find a group of people sitting around and sharing a collective moral outrage without actually doing anything about it and with no regard for the reality of the situation – that they are doing it in an improper medium – to be the height of condescending behaviour.

Enigma
    Participant

Todfod
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys . I do not see the point in arguing with you, as even god would have to concede defeat to your moral fortitude.

Considering you are the person who sits around commenting on these situations more than anyone else… and I do not see you in Bahrain helping the situation, or helping on more ‘appropriate mediums’. Nor do I think you have any clue of how to judge people’s ‘regard for the reality of the situation’.

I really do not know what you’re on about, and I would advise you to think about your own actions before commenting on others’ . It’s a little something we call hypocrisy

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I really do not know what you’re on about

It’s like this: you’re sitting around an internet forum decrying the situation in Bahrain and calling for the race to be cancelled. But since you’re not appealing to the policy-makers – the people who can actuall cancel the race – what have you achieved? Nothing. And then to make matters worse, let’s assume that you somehow got the Bahrain Grand Prix cancelled. What happens next? Do you have any idea what to do about Bahrain once that happens? Or are you just going to assume that the government will admit they were wrong and something something something democracy?

What you’re doing is essentially what the internet did with the KONY 2012 video. Everyone saw it and everyone was very moved by it, but they had no intention of doing anything about it, so they went looking for ways of discrediting it, and then patted themselves on the back for a job well done. So when I see posts like yours, the first thing I think of is not someone who is actually interested in resolving the situation in Bahrain, but someone who is more concerned about Formula 1’s image, and someone who feels guilty about the situation, so they feel the need to say something on a relatively obscure internet forum so that they can claim to have done their part.

Take a piece of your own advice, and think about you present yourself. It might not be your intention to come across that way, but hey, that’s how I interpreted it, so you’ve clearly done something differently to what you originally intended.

Estesark
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys

This is a forum where people are welcome to express their opinion. It is not for you or for any of us to judge how much they have done to affect the situation they are expressing an opinion about. People do not come here to change the world, they come here to talk.

If you were having a dinner party and someone said that it was too cold outside, I doubt you would say to them: “Well, what have you done about it? Sitting at this table and complaining isn’t going to change anything. Get out there and contribute to global warming!”. Or at least if you did, you wouldn’t be having any more dinner parties.

Now can we get back on topic, please?

matt90
    Participant

How dare people take issue with something and then not actively campaign to change it. Did you vote in the general election? Well you clearly liked one candidate more than another, and if you took issue with some of the other candidates why didn’t you go door to door in support of yours? Or at least help carry your candidate’s briefcase or something. Did you ever voice any opinion on any global issue whatsoever? Hypocrite! How dare you do such a thing, when planes are just right there, waiting for you to hop on and go do your bit in person. Shame!

DISCLAIMER: ^heavy on sarcasm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.