F1

Could Audi be coming back to Formula 1?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Roald
    Participant

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/89171/audi-to-join-f1-in-2016

Just saw this posted on Reddit. I know it’s a rumour, but still, one can hope…

Anonymous
    Inactive

What total nonsense. VW Group has never shown the slightest interest in F1. And suddenly they are going to enter in less than 1.5 years? Auto Express should know better.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Part of me hopes that it happens.. That would be such a boost for F1, for Audi to come in, and re-ignite the battle of the 30’s Grand Prix era with Mercedes-Benz! Porsche then can compete at Le Mans with Toyota, Peugeot, Nissan etc.

Think about it.. if Audi buy Toro Rosso and install Domenicali as head, then we could have in F1:

Mercedes – from pre-war and 50s success
    Red Bull – dominant most recently
    Ferrari – representing Italian success
    McLaren – trying to become a manufacturer
    Williams – dominant in the 90s
    Audi – former Auto Union of 30s success
    Lotus – UK success, or Renault when manufacturers bought in
    Sauber – Swiss privateer, former BMW squad
    Force India – former Jordan, ‘the ultimate privateer’ – up for grabs, pushing BRICs, maybe Telmex buys in
    Marussia – ‘the new privateer’, Virgin, using any name that enables them to compete
    Haas – F1 tries to crack America
    Forza Rossa – the eternally possible Ferrari B-team, but needs cash to go anywhere

The alternative is for Red Bull to exit and Audi to step in, retaining a Red Bull sponsorship, like in DTM – Red Bull Audi. This might suit both parties best, giving instant success for Audi, and an exit strategy for Red Bull. If so, then Ferrari should snap up Toro Rosso at the same time and rename it Alfa Romeo/Maserati/Lamborghini etc. and use it as a base for its young drivers (and young engineers/team members etc.).

With the 4 cylinder initial proposal (obviously for VW/Audi), they must have considered it before backing out. They could then have moved Porsche in, so why compete against themselves at Le Mans? But Porsche fits better there, so now Audi can pivot back to F1. Unless they are just waiting for Bernie to kick the bucket/F1 to refresh its image first. Red Bull could even ‘move upstairs’ at that point and just buy F1 outright/F1 title sponsorship.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t see how Audi could possibly benefit from coming into F1. It’s a great name in road cars already, their image doesn’t need a boost. Instead it opens itself up for failure, dramatic costs and backbiting politics. Toyota and Jaguar hardly had their images enhanced by being in F1.

And where does this ‘Red Bull pulling out’ idea come from?

Sri Harsha
    Participant

I dont think RBR will pull out for Audi in many ways they have more or less same financial resources and they shown that they are strong enough to run 2 teams with out any problems , If Audi can come they may choose Some other team like sauber or etc
    but i honestly doubt Audi to come to F1 as they never had interest at all. May be at Next Rule change of Engines from V6 to V4. Until then its Yearly rumors since the V6 rules announced

MazdaChris
    Participant

Audi have confirmed on their twitter feed that it’s all baseless rumours and they fully intend to proceed with their DTM and Le Mans programmes.

Roald
    Participant

Still, there’s some valid points. Audi fighting Porsche in WEC is pretty useless because they’re both brands belonging to the Volkswagen Group. Besides, what does Audi have left to prove in endurance racing? They’ve already won Le Mans numerous times. It would be a disasted for DTM though…

I know it’s just speculation and rumours…

MazdaChris
    Participant

<p>#Audi Sport is committed to the @FIAWEC , @DTM and GT racing. In 2015 we will add the Audi Sport TT Cup to our program #welcomechallenges</p>— Audi Sport (@Audi__Sport) October 25, 2014

<script async src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Nick
    Participant

I do think Audi and WEC might not go on much longer (Porsche stands to benefit a lot more from WEC and Le Mans than Audi does at this point), I don’t think entering F1 as a works team is going to happen. I do think the Volkswagen-Audi Group could benefit from F1 involvement as an engine supplier, I don’t think any manufacturer or high-end cars is looking at Mercedes in awe right now.

Let’s not forget the rumors of 2012 and early 2013 that basically had us wondering if Mercedes would spend a lot more time in F1 as a works team. Daimler made it rather clear that their 2010-2012 performances were not adequate. The VAG right now doesn’t have the opportunity to buy into an entry as strong as BrawnGP/Honda was for Mercedes in 2009. None of the VAG brands have recent F1 experience in any capacity, none of the ailing F1 teams seem like a safe bet (or would gladly step into a situation like McLaren’s with Mercedes right now with their engine partners) for them to join up with a VAG brand..

I think any VAG brand would have to take the long road, like Mercedes did. But frankly, I think only Volkswagen, Skoda or Seat would have anything to gain from entering F1 and they’re all in other series already.

George
    Participant

@npf1 Lamborghini?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.