F1

Could the DTM exhibition format work in F1?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

As some of you probably already know, this weekend the DTM are running a unique format for a non-championship race at the Munich Olympic Stadium. Two cars start in opposing lanes and race one another for several laps (which includes a pit stop). In a knockout format, the winning driver advances to the next round and the loser is elimated. It’s similar to the Race of Champions, except that the circuit does not cross over.

I’m wondering if such a format could be used in Formula 1. It would have to be a non-championship race of course, and if the sport could find a stadium that could support it (what’s London planning on doing with their stadium after the 2012 Olympics?), but I think it would be an interesting concept. Especially if it were a pre-season exhibition race.

On a similar note, I’ve often thought a rally-style super-special stage would be a good idea for Formula 1, but rather than having cars go head to head, it would be like a conventional racing circuit: two rings of three kilometres each, to allow for maximum spectator viewing.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Nah. It’s a nice idea in theory, but F1 cars wouldn’t be nearly as well suited to a tight narrow stadium circuit as touring and rally cars are.

Perhaps a nice compromise would be to have all 24 drivers take part in the Race of Champions as a kind of end of season finale. That way they’d be driving for fun in cars better suited to the circuit they’re using, and we’d be spared the random filler drivers the RoC usually provides. They could even move the championship award ceremony there from Monaco. None of this will ever happen, of course

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The circuit wouldn’t necessairly have to remain in the stadium. It could easily exit and re-enter.

Calum
    Participant

We’re probably going to get that PM – remember this ;)

http://www.blabla.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Cape-Town-F1-Circuit-w800_thumb.jpg

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyidMDBUqrU

I saw this video this morning of the DTM race in Munich. What I really like about it is the way you can’t really tell who is ahead until they reach the main straight. I still reckon it would be possible if you used a stadium, or even the infield of an oval circuit (which would give you more space). If Formula 1 cars can do demo runs down Pall Mall, they can do this.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.