F1

Could Vettel leave RBR sooner than later?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    The Radical
    Participant

Certainly it would be unsurprising to see Mark Webber depart Milton Keynes at the end of the season, but what of Sebastian Vettel?

If SV keeps up his insubordination, i.e. setting unnecessary fastest laps, petulant outbursts on the radio, and of course the obvious, his charm offensive will eventually run dry with Horner and co.

Another factor to consider is that after three, maybe four or five titles at Milton Keynes, surely the time will have come to move on, not least to keep things fresh from the perspective of both parties.

We saw it with Michael Schumacher, he was cast aside by Ferrari two years after his fifth consecutive title, the relationship had simply reached a point where everything had been achieved.

It is entirely feasible that Vettel could leave Red Bull at the end of 2014, for an outfit such as Mercedes.

There’s no chance he’ll be at Ferrari as long as Alonso is there, but in the interim, if he keeps up his behaviour from Sunday afternoon, Vettel may eventually force Red Bull’s hand in looking towards another direction…

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

It is entirely possible that he could leave, but I don’t see Red Bull getting rid of him whilst he continues to give them success. The only way I see him leaving, is either because he has reached a point in which he feels a new team would re-motivate him, or that another team has emerged as the team to beat post-2014.

I could definitely see Mercedes employing his services if the latter were the case, and either getting rid of Hamilton or Rosberg (The one who did the best stays obviously).

There is also the chance that he may go to McLaren. It would seem a little odd right about now, considering how they have shown how much they can really screw things up, but a lot of the greats have gone there in the past, and that might be something that appeals to him. Plus, if Perez doesn’t impress, then I could see McLaren chasing after his services, as they seem to be the only team which are keen to employ two great drivers.

Then perhaps going to Ferrari after that…just because.

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

If SV keeps up his insubordination, i.e. setting unnecessary fastest laps, petulant outbursts on the radio, and of course the obvious, his charm offensive will eventually run dry with Horner and co.

No it won’t. Vettel’s with Red Bull for the long run here. There’s only three ways he will leave Milton Keynes:
    1. If he decides to do so, but since Red Bull are offering him one title after the next, just there for the taking, I doubt he’ll make such an irrational decision.
    2. If Newey leaves Red Bull, I have a feeling wherever they will go, they will go together.
    3. If Red Bull get caught massively on the wrong foot come 2014 and they suddenly turn into a midfielder.

I don’t see Vettel leaving RBR for another team sooner than 2016 maybe, and when he does (IF he ever does) it will be for Ferrari.

Webber however is calling it quits after this season, that’s becoming quite clear.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

f he keeps up his behaviour from Sunday afternoon, Vettel may eventually force Red Bull’s hand in looking towards another direction

And the only possible direction he could look would be somewhere outside Formula 1. If the team that brought him into the sport and worked with him towards three world titles drops him because of his behavious, who in their right mind would pick up him? The best-case scenario would be Damon Hill circa 1997 – forced into an uncompetitive team because they are the only ones who will take him (and his number, if he earns it).

mnmracer
    Participant

Webber kept up his behavior of Silverstone ’11, and I don’t see him being forced out. The double standards are in high demand again today.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Webber kept up his behavior of Silverstone ’11, and I don’t see him being forced out.

Webber ignored the order to back off and let Vettel retain his position, but he never caught and passed Vettel. Hence, the team probably wasn’t too bothered by it. If Vettel had challenged Webber in Malaysia last night, but Webber had gone on to win, then the team probably wouldn’t be upset with him.

You can claim that there are double standards all you like, but the reaction to the team to Webber’s actions at Silverstone in 2011 and to Vettel’s actions last night prove that there are no double standards here.

mnmracer
    Participant

So if you try to rob a bank but fail to, you get to walk free?
    And if you try to rob a bank three times (as Webber has disobeyed teamorders three times), but fail all three times, you still get to walk free?

I think you should look up what double standard means.
    The fact that they react differently to the exact same problem (driver disobeying teamorders) is EXACTLY what double standards are.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Vettel has no reason to leve RB, he has got everything he needs to win, he is as ’bout as good as Max Chilton, but he has the fastest car and a team that pampers to his every need.

For some reason I think Vettel will win every single WDC whilst we have breath in our bodies.He might get 7 WDC’s, but a MSC he ain’t.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

There is a big difference between Schumacher’s situation and Vettel’s now, in that Michael was 37 years old and Ferrari (wrongly as it turned out) thought that Raikkonen was a better option for the future. Schumacher had also been there for over a decade and even if they had offered him a new contract they were only delaying the inevitable in that eventually they would have to replace him, so they decided to be proactive and get one of the other top drivers on the grid.

Vettel is in his mid twenties, and the question Red Bull will have to ask is who is as good or a better racing driver than him. Right now you would probably say Hamilton or Alonso, both of whom are on long term contracts at other teams. Unless someone else comes through in the next 2 or 3 seasons that is clearly a massive talent (i.e. Vettel himself in 2008) they will have to take a punt on someone.

Vettel clearly disappointed Christian Horner, and even Helmut Marko yesterday but in the end I think the fact is if he continues to win races and world titles for Red Bull Racing then that is the only thing that will really matter.

@prisoner-monkeys If Vettel does decide to leave Red Bull he could go anywhere, with the probable exception of a team which already employs Fernando Alonso. Are you really suggesting a triple world champion, a proven winner, would be struggling to get a drive in Formula One? Damon Hill, again was 37 when he went to Arrows and his prospective employers would have been asking is he as good or better than what I already have, particularly in light of the salary a reigning champion would expect. And with all due respect to Damon Vettel is a far superior driver with potentially over a decade left in the sport. Plenty of drivers have been high maintenance, but teams put up with them because they are the best. Although I agree there may well be a tipping point I don’t think he is anywhere near that at present.

The only way Vettel would be struggling for a drive is if what happens at Mclaren in 2007 happens at Red Bull i.e. a big fallout late in the season when other big teams have already confirmed their driver line up.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

“clearly massive talent”

I assume you are talking about Vettel’s 2008 Monza win, when he was driving a fast Red Bull (e.g. the only way he can win).

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

“The fact that they react differently to the exact same problem (driver disobeying teamorders) is EXACTLY what double standards are.”

Except that it’s not. The orders were disobeyed to a different extent, hence the different reaction. If you want to generalise and say that both Webber and Vettel ignored orders, then you have to further generalise and say that the team had a reaction to it. If the degree to which the drivers ignored orders is disregarded, then so too must the degree to which the team reacted be disregarded. You can’t have it both ways, because that is a double standard itself.

mnmracer
    Participant

The only difference was the outcome, that Webber was unable to overtake Vettel. They disobeyed orders just as much.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

@full-throttle-f1 Look I’m not Vettel’s biggest fan either, but if you are really going to bring up the same tired old arguments that have been done to death hundreds of times on this and many other websites then I’m not going to humour you with a reply. I know (hope) you were joking when you compared him to Max Chilton, but whether you acknowledge it or not Vettel is one of the most talented drivers in Formula One today.

katederby
    Participant

As Silverstone ’11 Webber caught Vettel, ran level with him but then backed off. Yesterday Vettel caught Webber after he’d turned down the engine, got level, challenged at least once or twice… made mulitiple attempts to overtake until finally Webber went off the racing line at turn 4 to avoid running into Vettel or running him off the track.
    The two incidents are not the same.
    No double standards here.

DavidTyrrellF1
    Participant

Vettel may leave RBR if this season doesn’t go his way, and yesterday showed he will do anything to win. However, will there be any repercussions from his team or will the golden child be let off? He won’t be a truely great driver until he wins races at another team.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.