Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 25 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Could Vettel leave RBR sooner than later?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Calum Calum 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AdrianMorse
    AdrianMorse
    Participant

@debaser91, regarding Helmut Marko, there was still a hint of a smile on Marko’s face when he said Vettel’s disobedience was wrong. Of course, he cannot say it’s Ok to flout team orders in front of the camera, but I think he was secretly pleased with the outcome of yesterday’s race.

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

@katederby In Silverstone 2011 WEB tried to pass VET but he was unable to do it, and he was given more direct orders about it, Horner four or five times over the radio told him to “Mantain the gap”
    In the ens, they tried to do the same thing only WEB couldn’t pass so nobody cared

Profile photo of mnmracer
    mnmracer
    Participant

@davidtyrrell
    I take it you think Jim Clark is also not a great driver?

Profile photo of katederby
    katederby
    Participant

@Sheila How do you know that Webber couldn’t overtake or just took it as far as he felt necessary (or safe given what happened in Turkey the year before). We can’t know either way.
    And at Silverstone Vettel had not turned down his engine. Another difference; in Malaysia it was the team’s order to not race while at Silverstone Vettel had asked for Mark to be held back.

Profile photo of fangio85
    fangio85
    Participant

I find it funny to see people still entertaining rumours that vettel may move to ferrari at some point. Ferrari don’t get drivers who don’t respect the team aspect of the sport, they always say their drivers drive for ferrari, not for themselves. Plus vettel will stay at red bull as long as newey is designing such excellent cars, so by the time he makes a switch, ferrari would see him as no longer in his prime and therefore not worth risking having a driver who will likely not have the teams interests at heart. Alonso will retire when his current contract expires, and I think ferrari will be searching frantically for great young talent to groom for his seat, and they will sign a hulkenberg or similar decent (but not amazing) driver to fill the number two seat.

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

A quick shout to the team orders yesterday;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYPCS3VXxGY

Vettel called for the Silverstone 2011 team orders too.

“Be smart, be smart”

Practically, either when he’s ahead and slower, or behind and quicker, he’s constantly the one asking for team orders.

Profile photo of Journeyer
    Journeyer
    Participant

@fangio85 Ferrari and Vettel are too interested with each other for this not to happen, believe me. Italian media has been whispering about it for more than a year now. Yes, it’s true drivers will always drive for the team. Drivers must drive in the team’s best interests. But the team’s best interests will always boil down to winning titles. And if Vettel is Ferrari’s best chance at winning titles, Vettel’s teammate will be positioned to drive in Vettel’s best interests.

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

Vettel had a problem with KERS in Silverstone 2011 that’s why he was slower

Profile photo of mnmracer
    mnmracer
    Participant

Not to mention he lost 10-ish (?) seconds in a botched pitstop.

Profile photo of fangio85
    fangio85
    Participant

But why would vettel leave red bull? Unless Byrne manages to build a newey beater, in which case he will still have to wait for Alonso to retire. I don’t mind either way, but my point was vettel will need to do some growing up over the next few seasons, because if his attitude doesn’t improve, he may be overlooked in favour of another young yet proven talent. Won’t hamiltons merc contract run out around the same time as alonsos? I think he would be a better fit, but vettel could still mature in the meantime so ill just wait and see

Profile photo of Calum
    Calum
    Participant

Go back to 2010, Silverstone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anAFOXDdkZw

Vettel won’t have to leave RedBull. Webber will be out of contract at the end of the season, the team have no obligation to re-sign him.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.