• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 27 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Current F1 driver ‘is chain smoker’, says Rosberg

This topic contains 55 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of andae23 andae23 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    ic3man
    Participant

Button and Webber are definitely not in the running for this accolade. And what would Maldonado (Al Capone reincarnation) be without a cigarette (cigar) in his mouth?

Gwannel Sandiego
    Participant
    mma_brij

Maldonado would be a good suspect for the chain-smoking. Does anyone know an F1 journo who would’ve smelled it on clothes during interviews? Or is this sort of thing covered under the Code Of Secrecy among journos and F1 drivers?

What difference does it make?

Troy Longstaff
    Participant

Alonso takes me as a smoker. But then again, I wouldn’t be surprised if rosberg was talking about kimi! Anyway, what difference does it make whether they smoke or not? I don’t think we should burn whoever it is at the stake if they come out and say “I’m a chain smoker”!

wdf2

I remember reading that Alessandro Nannini consumed an unbelievable amount of espresso (40 cups a day?) and smoked something like 60 cigarettes.

ic3man
    Participant

smoking doesn’t really matter as long as the driver continues to perform at his optimal level, or as long as fuel is not spilled in a crash.

hopkinsonf1
    Participant

D’Ambrosio would suit a cigarette hanging out of the corner of his mouth. Classical European good looks, designer stubble, Italian-French (well, Franco-Belgian), John Player Special-liveried car.

Not to mention that I always thought Jerome had a passing resemblance to Cevert, and Francois didn’t shy away from the occasional Gauloise: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2033/2489548345_13a0b836f5.jpg?v=0

MazdaChris
    Participant

@ic3man No, I’m not saying all smokers are childish. I’m saying that Raikkonen is though, and smoking lots of cigarettes strikes me as one of the things he’d do to try and prove to the world how cool he is, like saying swearwords on the telly and wearing hats which are too big for him. I could be wrong, it’s just speculation after all.

I was a smoker for over 15 years and I can say categorically that when I started it was because I thought smoking had a cool image attached to it. At some point during my smoking ‘career’ I realised I’d been duped, and that smoking wasn’t cool, nor was it something I needed to do. So eventually I stopped. But like any addiction, it gets into your mind and through an act of doublethink, you can simultaneously know that it’s all a con and you’re just addicted to a chemical, while genuinely believing that you smoke because you enjoy it and that smoking makes you look like a cross between James Dean and the Marlboro Man..

GeeMac
    Participant

The last time I checked smoking cigarettes was legal…so I’m not sure what the fuss is about. The drivers are all professional athletes and I’m sure they know the risks associated with smoking. So if they want to have a cigarette or two that’s up to them. Rosberg comes across and the posterchild of this clean cut, ultra PC, PR savvy, clean living sgeneration of racing driver, so it doesn’t surprise me at all that he’d have an issue with someone smoking.

ic3man
    Participant

@MazdaChris We are all speculating here so either one of us could be right or wrong but I just feel its unfair to label smokers as childish.

Moreover, from what I have read about Kimi’s personality, he is the sort of guy who doesn’t give a crap about what other people think of him (he has said this himself several times). So, smoking to “look cool” is definitely out of the question for him simply because it contradicts everything that we have read and heard about Kimi.

kosmic164
    Participant

I dont think anyone is saying there is anything wrong with drivers smoking, i think it just comes as a surprise.

matt90
    Participant

@mazdachris I am sure that the last thing Kimi cares about is his public image. If he smokes and swears on TV, it’s because he acts like he would anywhere (although maybe a little more awkwardly). I don’t think there was anything forced about Kimi swearing on TV- I’m not saying he shouldn’t be more careful not to, but the notion that he went out of his way to appear cool is quite strange.

Toro Stevo
    Participant

Obviously a Williams driver…

If I had to put money on it though, one of Kimi (possibly who Rosberg was referring to), Maldonado or Petrov. Not sure why Petrov, I might just be applying an unfair stereotype given his nationality.

MazdaChris
    Participant

Actually, Pedro De La Rosa wouldn’t be a bad shout either.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.