• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 1 day, 8 hours ago

F1 discussion

Current F1 driver ‘is chain smoker’, says Rosberg

This topic contains 55 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of andae23 andae23 2 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dot_com
    dot_com
    Participant

I could see Kimi as a casual smoker, a couple here and there when he’s out with friends. Chain-smoker? Nah. My guess for the chain-smoker would be either Pastor or Pedro – with no evidence at all to back it up. Pure speculation, like everyone else :)

@wdf2 – great call!!

Profile photo of dot_com
    dot_com
    Participant

…and of course there was that Williams pit fire in Barcelona, which was rumored to be caused by a cigarette….

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Funny how noone’s said a French driver yet, given the stereotype

Or a Russian, for that matter.

But I don’t think it’s Petrov. When he was at Renault, he was put on a strict exercise regimen because he is the tallest driver on the grid, and is therefore naturally the heaviest. They wanted him to shed whatever weight he could so that he wouldn’t be at a disadvantage.

Profile photo of Adam Blocker
    Adam Blocker
    Participant

Its probably Maldonado, and based on where he comes from there might also be some heavier drugs involved! (have you seen his driving this season?)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@blockwall2

based on where he comes from there might also be some heavier drugs involved! (have you seen his driving this season?)

Well to be honest… Venezuela is not a big “pot” producer…. Their main export is Cocaine…. so he might not be smoking it. he might be snorting!

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

Just curious but would smoking actually be a hindrance for a F1 driver?

I can see Schumacher smoking, don’t ask me why:-) If it helps keep the person away from performance-enhancing and recreational drugs, then it’s not something that I would not view negatively for someone who undergoes such stress on a daily basis.

Off topic, I am 400% against smoking in general and I’d prefer that no one lights a cigarette within a radius of 5,000 miles from my family or wear perfume or do anything else that may trigger an asthmatic reaction.

Profile photo of katederby
    katederby
    Participant

I don’t think smoking would do much for a driver’s fitness, something most drivers are very serious about. Have you seen Alonso’s training schedules he posts on Twitter?!

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

@katederby No doubt it would hurt their fitness especially compared to them not smoking, but at the same time they are not sprinting where smoking would obviously prevent them from competing.

Plus we’ve seen a lot of F1 drivers do well with smoking.

According to
    this article
    from howstuffworks, nicotine’s short-term effects are actually not necessarily negative and could actually have positive effects depending on the person and situation which I imagine would be more true of F1 drivers.

Profile photo of katederby
    katederby
    Participant

That article seems to be about the benefits of nicotine but cigarettes contain much more, like tar and other carcinogens. So maybe drivers should wear nicotine patches!

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

@katederby great point;-) nicotine patches would be preferable and would avoid all the other negative effects!

I wonder if drivers have actually raced with and without nicotine to see if they perform better.

Profile photo of andae23
    andae23
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.