F1

Do away with buttons!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89138

Though the front wings are now no longer adjustable, I think there should be a general trend towards reducing the number of buttons available to the driver.

Brake bias, for instance. I believe the drivers are more than capable of managing their tyres without the aid of the differential. If, in managing them, they sacrifice lap times, so be it. Technological aid should be kept to a minimum.

VettelS

Disagree. The difference between F1 and say, Nascar, is the technology. There’s more to F1 than just flying round a track and seeing who wins. Formula One is about the technology and the precision engineering. I’m just as interested in who wins the WDC as the car and infrastructure that made it possible.

DavidS
    Participant

What about letting the pits adjust settings on the car, but make it so that it only refreshes at the start of the lap. If a driver needs an adjustment, they have to radio the pits, and if the strategists need to go into fuel saving mode, they need the OK of the driver. It should open the options for strategy, while letting everybody clearly see what’s going on.

Having it refresh once per lap stops teams running brake bias and diff settings specific to each corner.

Would it be good if we could hear quite obviously when a driver is struggling with the car…or when a driver wants to desperately get past someone and begs the pit wall for a more powerful engine mapping. Then you would know that a battle is definitely on.

Icthyes
    Participant

How about they just get on with the challenge at hand. If it’s so bad for them it will be bad for everyone.

Funkyf1
    Participant

I think I’m on par with Icthyes on this one. What ever happened to the challenge of setting up a car, isnt that what practice is for? In the champions of champions so much respect is shown for drivers like Prost, who could do so much more than turn a wheel. I’m not undermining today’s drivers but the aids given to them has blown out of control. If teams and drivers are forced to focus on race set- ups rather than constant variables, true talent will prevail.

Mack41
    Participant

How about one button with one other option and thats it. No dials, no crazy readouts; if you look at the ferrari steering wheel its got as much buttons and dials as my dads grill. unnecessary.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

I see the need for the driver to cope with so many buttons the same challene as driving the car as a whole. F1 has always been about the latest in technology and developing that technology as seasons progress. You can argue that being able to change brake bias on the move is a driver aid but it’s as much a hindrance if you’re having to actually think about it, thus adding to the spectacle of watching these guys fling the cars round the track as fast as they do. It all goes into the mix.

Eggry
    Participant

I agree that what makes F1 so special is technology(and top-end drivers). but on the other hands F1 usually does not accept new concept easily. so they decided that driver should control all of those stuff. I think FIA should allow teams to use more computer-based control.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

People will say get rid of the buttons, gearboxes, driver aids etc and take it back to the days of having a clutch pedal and a gearstick in the cockpit and that’s it.

Thing is, the same people will deride the authorities for making rule changes which stymie the technical progress of the cars.

It’s not that all the tech makes cars easier or harder to drive, it just means that a different skill set is required for the changes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.