F1

Do Renault 3.5 cars look better than F1 did for decades?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pH
    Participant

The Monza race link tickled my curiosity and I was surprised how well the cars look. The main design features that appeal to me are:
    – rather low noses;
    – simple front wings that do not crowd the front so much (I’d prefer them a bit narrower, though);
    – wide rear wing;
    – rear wheels markedly larger than the fronts, a sure sign of a powerful car (but the 1970’s F1 was even better).

One would have to go back to Senna days to see F1 cars with similar features; first they raised the noses, then the grooved tires abomination, then even higher noses with snowplows. However, the mid-90’s cars were rather “boxy”. I feel that the Renault 3.5 Dallara design is the best of both worlds: old time design features combined with the smooth, nicely flowing bodywork of the 21st century. What do you think?

andae23
    Participant

Agreed, they look better than every single F1 car since… probably 1998.

Nick
    Participant

I like the general look of the cars a lot (more than post 2009 F1, anyway), but the fat noses look really inefficient to me. The think I liked about 2003-2008 F1 cars was how insanely efficient and aerodynamic they looked, even if they did provide some of the most boring races I’ve ever walked way from.

It looks a lot better than the current (and previous) GP2 chassis’ that’s for sure.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

FR3.5 definitely looks more ‘racy’ than GP2. Frankly I’m amazed that the GP2 are so fast, they look slow on screen and as a car, also when driven (without power steering).

Fer no.65
    Participant

They look like 2003 F1 racers. Love them.

I think they’re smashing cars from an aesthetic point of view. Some great liveries too which helps.

Bullfrog
    Participant

They look like a race car should – low, wide and purposeful, with no awkward or overdone aero bits. Saw them at Silverstone a couple of years ago, and they sound great too. Gave me a new appreciation of the Red Bull colours, which really jump out at you when watching live.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.