• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 1 day, 19 hours ago

F1 discussion

Driver weight loss becoming too much?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Iestyn Davies Iestyn Davies 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

Even if Hulk is heavier than his team mate (this year: Perez), could it be that they’d modify his chassis to be slightly lighter? With some drawbacks, obviously.
    Look at the incident where Bottas hit the wall in Melbourne but didn’t damage the suspension resulting in someone from Williams saying that’s due to how aggressive Maldonado was with the Williams prior to this year. So in this example, weight could be trimmed in this area with the warning of being more gentle on the car. It’s conceivable.

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@me4me I think we can both agree on that point. I just assume all the drivers are trying to emulate that kind of fitness – but we know that Kimi and Bianchi both smoke! I think it’s more a case of those with that natural talent to be there not trying as hard as those that really have to max out (see what I did there) their talent to be on the grid and compete. For Webber, this allowed him to compete with Vettel, someone who could veery well go down as one of the top 5-10 drivers ever in F1, while people who beat Mark in junior levels haven’t really gotten that far (sometimes from a lack of funding) or are stuck in Australia, perhaps in V8s.

It sounds like Hulk has been conscious of his weight and kept himself in shape, so any ballast he may get will help him balance the car. I’ve met Sutil and he seems like a normal guy really, so I’d bet he’s probably trying to get in really lean shape now, as the Sauber is really overweight with him in it. On the fainting.. what about Rosberg? He’s trim, yet losing weight.. and I noticed his performance tailed off from Q2 onwards. Exhaustion?

Indeed Williams beefed up their car’s resilience to handle whatever Pastor could throw at it… I don’t know about making cars more fragile, but if anyone could handle it I would bet it would be the Hulk.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

On the FIA.. well they always seem to be focussed on the wrong thing. Not on the big picture (V6s aside), but on the little rule changes that are always behind schedule!

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@gfreeman It looks like Sauber are going to try and shed 20kg from their car ASAP. This will definitely put Gutierrez under the limit and with ballast to place, while hopefully Sutil would be under the limit (692kg) as well. In raw pace it should give them 6 tenths back, so they are clear of Marussia/Caterham and fighting again with Toro Rosso 45 seconds infront of the 2 smaller teams.

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

@fastiesty Where did you hear about that? That is a significant saving for the chassis!

I watched that BBC segment about MW and his race preparation, really dedicated. I like how before the last race of 2013 he just stopped training – he earned it to be honest.

Profile photo of DavidS
    DavidS
    Participant

I think they should introduce an 80kg minimum on driver + equipment + driver ballast.
    Driver ballast would be stored in an FIA mandated area, so that lighter drivers do not benefit from having their ballast placed lower in the car.
    Most drivers will not reach that limit on body weight alone, so it gives everybody enough freedom to be in a healthy weight range for their height.

Profile photo of Royal-Spark
    Royal-Spark
    Participant

Personally I want to see a set BMI for all drivers put into effect so drivers that are probably over 1.80m don’t have to go to extreme lengths to cut down their weight because their engineers are so finicky about ballast.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@gfreeman Autosport! I hope it’s not an April Fools…

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.