F1

DRS in pits?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Enigma
    Participant

In races where DRS zone is on the pit straight, are drivers allowed to use DRS in the pits? First of all it can be helpful at the exit, in Barcelona there’s a long run from the pit exit towards turn one. And there’s the drive through the pits – would drivers save some fuel by driving with the wing open? Surely it wouldn’t be a lot, but would they manage to save a minor amount of fuel by that?

Canada for instance – a driver is within one second at the detection zone, he opens his wing and pits, can he have the wing open all the way towards turn 2, as the pit exit goes there?

DavidS
    Participant

It would all depend on the placement of the activation zone. If they are discussing the possibility of two DRS zones, instead of one big with with a chicane in the middle, than my guess is that they’ll have another detection point somewhere along the penultimate straight, and have the activation zone just after the final chicane.

If a driver pits, they won’t cross the DRS activation line and won’t be able to use DRS in the pits.

That’s a guess though.

Enigma
    Participant

There will only be one activation zone at the ‘2 DRS zones’ tracks. You’re right, they wouldn’t be allowed to do that if they didn’t cross the activation line, but that happens at some tracks – maybe in Monza or Interlagos the activation line will be before the pits. There it could happen. And in Monza the drivers could use DRS under pit exit I suppose.

Icthyes
    Participant

The activation point is just at the pit entrance in Catalunya, I think.

I don’t see why not. I’d like to see some more clever use of the DRS like that.

Enigma
    Participant

It’s on the finish line, so going into the pits you technically don’t cross it.

BasCB
    Participant

And even if you would cross that activation line, it would not make much sense with the pitlane speed limit and all making you want to slow down quite early.

Icthyes
    Participant

Not the activation point, the detection point sorry.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.