• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 6 hours, 35 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Dutch fans: Your views on Sport1

This topic contains 49 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nick Nick 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

@AdrianMorse Van Dam is the first speaker, the second Tom Coronel. Canal+ never really had great commentary, a lot of F1 fans I knew around that time tried it out, but preferred Mol.

@Meander I’ve only heard about him being confirmed, but to be honest I’d almost prefer a good team of pit and track reporters than an ex-F1 driver. Verstappen is managing his son and likely to return to racing once Max is in open wheelers, so that rules him out. Christiaan ‘Meksimum Uhttek’ Albers would be a nightmare, though. If you google ‘Formule 1 cafe’ or kroeg, you get a few hits, so there are some pubs around the country.

Profile photo of Roald
    Roald
    Participant

So Van Dam will do race commentary, Olav Mol will be live at the circuits and joining Van Dam every now and then in the commentary booth will be Verstappen, Albers and Doornbos. Interesting!

Profile photo of mnmracer
    mnmracer
    Participant

Anything on an F1 subscription or pay-per-race rates yet?

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

With Olav at least being at the circuits I’ll consider going for Pay per View when the BBC isn’t on. But I’ll trial one race before I’d even consider a subscription, since I still don’t like Van Dam, nor am I too fond of Albers and Doornbos and while Jos is one of my favorite drivers, he has a very candid personality, which either means he’ll end up walking away before there’s a contract signed, or he’ll provide James Hunt-like commentary.

I can’t find anything on F1 subscriptions, but they are having a discount, 3 months for 5 euros each, with a tagline stating “formule 1 zie je bij sport1″, so I’m starting to doubt they’ll make F1 only subscriptions.

As far as pay per view goes, if your provider allows it, it should be possible. I myself have Telfort, which is part of KPN and I am able to order soccer matches as described on the following page, so I think I should be able to watch F1.. http://info.sport1.nl/?page=Abonnementen+en+prijzen&cat=Pay+Per+View

Profile photo of Matthijs
    Matthijs
    Participant

I have KPN Glasvezel and I signed up for the 3 months for 5 euros each subscription two days ago. I was able to view Sport1 the next day.

Profile photo of Roald
    Roald
    Participant

Got the “3 maanden voor 5 euro” deal as well. Took a day or two before we were able to view Sport1, provided by UPC.

Honestly, I can’t wait! I read their race preview begins live at 6:15 on sunday morning, I was hoping for a longer race preview to be honest. I mean, there should be plenty to tell before the first race of the season, so 45 minutes is a bit short, especially when we’re paying for it now. Doornbos will be turning up in the commentating booth for the Australian GP, so that’s a good start. And @nick I wouldn’t mind James Hunt-like commentary from Verstappen, I like his personality.

We should be happy with the amount of money we have to pay. The seasons spans from march until november, that’s 3 times 5 euro and 6 times 15 euro, 105 euro in total. Especially because of the big advantage of being able to cancel your subscription whenever you like. It’s not free but still affordable! Just look at @keithcollantine ‘s latest article about Sky, now THAT’s expensive…

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

And @nick I wouldn’t mind James Hunt-like commentary from Verstappen, I like his personality.

I didn’t mean my post negatively as far as Jos was concerned, I love him, but he can be hard to deal with. If anything, James Hunt cracks me up on those old BBC races, I’m sure Jos would be just as frank.

With the season coming up, my provider not getting back to me on pay per view races, I just decided to subscribe to sport1. Mainly because of curiosity and simplicity though, I tried watching a German court TV show today and got lost many, many times. Time for a refreshing course this summer..

Profile photo of Roald
    Roald
    Participant

So has anyone else decided to subscribe to Sport1? According to a spokesman of Sport1 their ‘3 months for 5 euro’ deal has attracted a lot of people to their channel and while they do not have numbers yet it’s looking good for them. Source: http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/autosport/21377278/__Andere_rol_voor_Olav_Mol__.html

Profile photo of Journeyer
    Journeyer
    Participant

Makes you wonder if Sport1 has hit the sweet spot in pricing. If it’s effective, it should be something Sky take a look at.

mnmracer
    Participant

Of course the 3 months for 5 euro each is a good deal (that’s what I got as well), but the question is, how many people will be left after those 3 months? They really have to impress to get 15 euros a month out of me.

Profile photo of Journeyer
    Journeyer
    Participant

@mnmracer As long as there’s not too many commercials, I think they’ll retain a lot of those people (if only because of the picture quality). Then you can just stream a Sky or BBC commentary feed.

Profile photo of Roald
    Roald
    Participant

@mnmracer Who the hell pays to watch 6 races and then quits their subscription? Can’t imagine I’ll be happy to skip the remaining 13 races and wait until next year to watch the first 6.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

I’ve been trying to sign up, but Telfort isn’t getting back at me and their website is down right now..

Shouldn’t Bernie’s rules regarding advertisement during races impact Sport1 the same way they did SBS6? I know RTL Germany has commercials as well, but if I remember correctly, they are also part of the RTL concern in Luxembourg, which was also why RTL Netherlands had commercials.

mnmracer
    Participant

There’s alternatives to paying 15 euro’s a month for 1 or 2 races; some Veronica/some BBC/all RTL Germany.

Profile photo of Roald
    Roald
    Participant

@mnmracer Veronica airs 3 races, BBC 9. And I live in Kerkdriel (nearby ‘s-Hertogenbosch) and can’t receive RTL Germany with UPC. So not much of a choice for me.

@Nick what rules regarding advertisement?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.