F1

Engines

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Enigma
    Participant

We’ve discussed this many a time but I still don’t understand.

When Ricciardo replaced Karthikeyan, the engine usage obviously transfered from one to the other, so the engines Karthikeyan had used up were Ricciardo’s. Easy enough.

But with Karthikeyan now replacing Liuzzi for this round, he gets Liuzzi’s engines – therefore one driver could use all the 16? in one season in that way?

Could anyone make it clear once and for all? :)

Zadak

The engines are allocated to each car I think

There are 8 for car 22 and 8 for car 23

That’s how I understand it anyway, I may be wrong

Enigma
    Participant

@Zadak That’s how I understand it as well. But I’m sure you’re not allowed to switch drivers so that one has 16 engines over the season.

paulgilb
    Participant

I believe Karthikeyan returned to his original car (#22), with Ricciardo moving to car 23 (Liuzzi’s car). I’ve no idea if Ricciardo would be able to use more than 8 engines in the season, though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Engines follow he driver driver not the car.

b) If a driver is replaced at any time during the Championship season his replacement will be deemed to
    be the original driver for the purposes of assessing engine usage.

Silverstone:
    Ricciardo takes over Karthikeyan’s useage.
    Liuzzi keeps his.

India:
    Karthikeyan takes over Liuzzi’s useage.
    Ricciardo keeps the useage that was originally Karthikeyan’s until Silverstone.

Simple! LOL

Anonymous
    Inactive

According to those rules, there’s the possibility of 1 driver using a potential 16 engines (within 1 team) over the course of a season.

Alianora La Canta
    Participant

One driver could only use 16 engines in a season if the others used none.

Car 1 has 8 engines (for the purposes of assessing engine usage, replacements are treated as if no replacement occurred)
    Car 2 has 8 engines (for the purposes of assessing engine usage, replacements are treated as if no replacement occurred)

Whoever happens to be in the car for the 9th engine gets the penalty.

GeeMac
    Participant

I think the interpretation of @Zadak and @Thomas Beggs is correct.

I don’t think a driver could necessarily get 16 engines a year by switching seats, simply because if a driver kept switching and taking fresh engines it would quickly be protested by rival teams on the basis that it isn’t in the “spirit of the regulations”.

Baron
    Participant

VW will supply engines to Torro Rosso in 2012. Discuss… :)

GeeMac
    Participant

@baron Source? Not doubting it’s truth I just want to read more! ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m doubting it’s truth seen as though VW have either designed and created engines without anyone realising or there just not. Secrets are hard to keep but if this turns out to be true then wow, secret well kept.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Not doubting it’s truth I just want to read more!

It’s not true. VW have said they might enter as an engine supplier in 2013, with a view to becoming a full works effort when the 2014 regulations come in. If they do that, then they would possibly take over Toro Rosso, or another team.

They will not be supplying Toro Rosso in 2012, though.

ob1kenobi.23
    Participant

Why would anybody create an engine to the current 2.4 litre normally aspirated spec when the 1.6 turbos will be in in 2 years. With the lead time required to design , build & develop an engine of this calibre they would need to be starting now to be ready for 2014.

The engine rules quoted by previous posters, do these also apply to gearboxes.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Why would anybody create an engine to the current 2.4 litre normally aspirated spec when the 1.6 turbos will be in in 2 years.

They wouldn’t, but they could rebrand an existing engine, like the Cosworth. But the Toro Rosso STR7 is designed around the Ferrari 056 engine, not the Cosworth CA-2012. Switching engines would require a total design overhaul, and there is only a week until the Toro Rosso STR7 is unveiled and winter testing begins. Bottom line – it’s not going to happen, so I have no idea what @Baron was talking about when he said VW would supply Toro Rosso this year.

Asanator
    Participant

The noise is about VW entering with the 1.6Turbos as they are more in tune with the current VW philosophy of lower capacity turbo charged engines, VW’s head of motor sport or whatever has pitched his vision of VW groups Motorsport future and that has rumoured to include F1. Whether that is as an engine manufacturer (most likely) or as a constructor no-one is sure, but if it is as a constructor the most likely path would be to acquire an existing team (hence the Torro Rosso rumours).

Personally I think it is the usual rubbish we get from VW flirting with the idea but never committing. Beside the CEO is said to be a little anti F1.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.