F1

Which F1 cars have you got close to?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Calum
    Participant

Which cars have you seen on display (or maybe you’ve been lucky enough to be in a garage or factory!) and where did you see them?

1. Steward-Ford SF02 (1999) – At the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. The #19 car which was driven by Jan Magnussen and Jos Verstapen during that season. Incidentally, this museum is where Dolly the cloned sheep is displayed.

2. Renault R28 (2008) – At the Scottish Motor Show at Knockhill Circuit a few years back. Think it may have been an older model or a display model painted in Alonso’s 2008 livery.

3. Ferrari F2005 (2005) – The one which sits in the Ferrari Store on Oxford Road, London.

4. Mclaren-Mercedes MP4-14 (1999) – At the London Science Museum. It was part of a display on safety showing the strength of carbon fibre. The car is a reconstruction built using damaged pieces from the car which had a high speed crash with Mika Hakkinen at the wheel during the 1999 German GP.

AMR
    Participant

When I was in Hamburg in 2010, they had an event kind of like an ‘all you can see’ where you could purchase a single entry ticket to see all participating museums in town. Think it was called ‘Nacht der Museum’ (Night of the Museum). Anyhow, an autosport and motoring museum called Prototyp had Schumacher’s 1991 Jordan F1 car, and you could get close enough to touch it and even look inside the cockpit. It had no engine by the looks, but getting up close and checking every detail of the car was an awesome experience!

Ciaran
    Participant

I have only ever been up close to an F1 car in my life and that was when I was nine at a local car fair. Disappointingly it wasn’t the McLaren MP4/4 of the Ferrarii F2002.

No it was the Footwork FA12 from 1991, which was an absolute crapbox in every sense. It often failed to qualify and was the only ever Arrows car not to score a point throughout a whole season, something that wasn’t mentioned.

InSilico_
    Participant

This thread has immediately sparked a memory which I completely forgot about. Back when I was maybe 12-13 (and had no interest in F1 at the time), I went to a museum in London. I can’t remember exactly what museum (or even if it was a museum), but I remember they had Ralf Schumacher’s Toyota from when he crashed at Indianapolis. It was half destroyed obviously but still on display. It must have been the original one? If so, that’s the only F1 car I’ve ever been near. Has anyone else heard of this or seen the car there themselves? I’m certain that this isn’t a figment of my imagination, but googling it has brought up no results.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The E20 or 21, I think I saw one last year (or this?) at Renault’s spot in the Indonesian Auto Show.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

I saw the Jordan EJ11 this year in Ipswich. It’s amazing how simplistic the wings looked back then, although that may have been because it was the Monza-spec car.

I also saw a McLaren MP4-22(?) at Silverstone in 2009 but didn’t get a lot of time to look at it.

PhilEReid
    Participant

2010 I went to Friday practice and they had the 2008 McLaren sitting out and about for people to take pictures of around one of the general admission areas. That’s definitely the closest I’ve been.

Force Maikel
    Participant

3 cars so far

2007/2008: School trip to Brussels and in a shopping mall on one of the bussiest streets I found a Sauber F1.06 on display, I believe it was because they were selling Certina watches.

2010: Went to spa for the Racing days by Renault and got up and close to the Renault R29 but then painted in the 2010 livery.

2014: Same event, diffrent car and team, this time the Championship winning Red Bull RB8 with 2014 livery

Hope to add more to the list when I visist the German Grand Prix next year

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Pretty sure that the first one I can remember seeing was the ’99 Sauber, or something of that ilk. It was on display in Sepang Airport around the time that the Malaysian GP started, as it had prominent Petronas branding. Probably seen a few here. I remember how they didn’t look real, quite big (or smaller than you’d expect), very ‘plastic’ etc.

More recently, I got the same feeling when at a Vodafone McLaren event in Manchester, however I think that was because they cut + pasted various recent McLarens together! But sitting in the cockpit and driving a simulation lap was very interesting, using the real steering wheel, feeling the ‘hydraulic’ brake, and seeing how held still your thighs are etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was a few inches from Alexander Wurz’ and Jacques Villeneuve’s crashed cars being brought back on a transporter after the Australian Grand Prix in 1999; after the race the crowd go straight onto the track and the rescue vehicles have to bring the retired cars back through the crowd!

Dan
    Participant

For me my first time i was up close to F1 cars would be at the donnigton grand prix collection, lots of varity through the years and teams. Or driven in action would be at the 2003 British grand prix at Silverstone.

However my best experience would have to be recently when i won a VIP access tour behind the scenes at the Mercedes factory the week after the Brazilian grand prix. I can honestly say i will probbably never ever be allowed that close again unless i become a team boss or become a team sponser both of which are highly unlikely

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone going to Autosport International this weekend at the Birmingham NEC? Should be plenty of chances to get up close to F1 cars there.

thetobs
    Participant

1. The crashed McLaren MP4-14 at the London Science Museum.

2. Lewis Hamilton’s championship winning McLaren also in the London Science Museum. (I don’t think it’s there anymore).

3. Tyrell 006 (Jackie Stewart’s 1973 championship winning car) at the National Museum of Scotland.

4. Stewart-Ford SF02 also at the National Museum of Scotland.

5. I don’t know if this counts but I saw a McLaren (I think it was an MP4-4) in a showroom on a bus in London.

Nick
    Participant

I’ve sat in a Sauber C12 (1994 car, but with 1995 livery) at a chance event in 1998 at the Famila Park in Leer, Germany. I was just getting into F1 and my parents had no idea that there were several F1 cars on display, though I only really remember the C12 and perhaps a Ferrari 312T of some kind, but there was a security line around the car.

I’ve seen several F1 cars in the museum at the Nurburgring in 1999, though I only have a picture of me with a McLaren MP4/12.

At Zandvoort I’ve probably seen several F1 cars up close, but I only remember Verstappen demo-ing a A21 and A22 and seeing the car in the pitbox. The EuroBOSS class is a great series to have paddock tickets for, as you end up being nearly run over by a repainted Benetton B197 and getting to see people work on a Coloni C4 up close.

Master firelee
    Participant

1: At Wilton House car show 1990 Benetton Ford B190 (Warning: Headphone users beware!)

2: At GoodWood:FOS I’ve seen many F1 cars, too much to list.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.