F1

F1 drivers we've all forgotten!

This topic contains 62 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  Harry Verolme 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author

toiago
    Participant

Stefan Bellof as well!

Simon
    Participant

I’ll go for 3 times race winner Thierry Boutsen

sbewers
    Participant

Chistijan Albers – raced in 2005/06/07 for Minardi, Midland and Spyker. Last seen briefly in 2014 as Caterham’s Team Principal.

He was the man who outperformed Tiago Monteiro as team-mates in 2006 after the latter had impressed in the 2005 Jordan; only to be dropped himself half way through the 2007 season due to a lack of sponsor money (which of course made room for Markus Winkelhock’s 15 minutes of fame at the Nurburgring and Sakon Yamamoto’s 2nd of 3 forgettable spells).

Tedious link – all of the above named have been mentioned at various points in this thread, linked by this man.

BenH
    Participant

Would second Tora Takagi (I actually had a signed picture from when he was at Tyrrell – no idea where that is now. Probably the same place as my Alain Prost signed Prost GP picture)
    Diniz was a quite competent driver. Think I mainly remember him from being in the other Arrows in 1997 though (he did compare moderately well with Damon though and was a fairly good qualifier from what I remember).
    Tiff Needell is another that I think people forget had a stint in F1, although most UK people know the name well.
    Johnny Dumfries is another one I like to remember (many remember him from winning Le Mans in the Silk Cut Jag). He went to the same school as me (albeit before my time, but I did know some of the other members of his family from when I was there) so have a mini connection to him.

@HoHum
    Participant

Yes, you know, what’s’isname. damn, I’ve forgotten.

Scalextric
    Participant

Mauricio Gugelmin. 80 grands prix. One fastest lap. Ivan Capelli’s team mate at March/Leyton House. And the most fun name to pronounce in F1 history. Slightly ahead of Teo Fabi.
    Alessandro Nannini also trips off the tongue. So to speak.

Ralf Schumacher. No, Ralf.

hunocsi
    Participant

Can’t believe nobody mentioned the amazing Hungarian hero Zsolt Baumgartner.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

I did mention good old Zsolt way back when this discussion started. In the second post. Clearly he is so forgettable that he has actually been forgotten even during this discussion itself lol

MazdaChris
    Participant

Thing that gets me is how quickly you can forget about really recent drivers. People like Alex Wurz, Robert Kubica, even Nick Heidfeld. I suspect if you asked someone to name F1 drivers from the past ten years, quite a few would miss those guys off.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

I agree, its strange. Jarno Trulli’s comments about Alonso in the roundup just brought him back into my thinking, he raced in over 200 GP’s and was in F1 as recently as 2011 but again, out of sight, out of mind.

MazdaChris
    Participant

Hey sometimes I forget about racers who haven’t even retired yet, like Felipe Massa!

Mehtab Ahmed
    Participant

Who remembers Ricardo Zonta? The most famous driver being lapped!

Edit: Just saw someone mentioned him already so I’m sorry!

But who remembers Heinz-Harald Frentzen? he almost won the 1999 Championship, but afterwards he never had the car but regularly showed that he was a good driver like in Spa 2001 when he qualified on 4th with the Prost.

Anonymous

Sorry another contribution! Andrea Montermini and Jean-Marc Guonon … didn’t they drive for Simtek, or Pacific, or was it Forti? I get a bit confused, they seem to have been around at the same time, driven the same teams, and made an equally (non-existent) impact! Although I think one, or other, managed to injure themselves.

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

Off the top of my head I’m going to say Luca Badoer (even though I remember him as being a test driver for Ferrari, I’ve completely forgotten he actually raced), Norberto Fontana (acted as a replacement for Sauber in 1997), and Luciano Burti.

From recent years I always tend to forget Vitantonio Liuzzi was out there for quite a while. The only memory I have of him is his Monza shunt in 2011. Nothing from his Torro Rosso and Force India stints.

BenH
    Participant

I think sometimes the only reason people remember Mark Blundell is because his name bears a striking resemblance to Martin Brundle, who obviously is still well involved in the sport (although can imagine some only thinking of Brundle as a commentator and not an ex-F1 driver)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.