F1

Is F1 entering its final years?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    credible58
    Participant

I noticed the FIA announcement regarding changing the engine spec again for the 2021 season; less technology, less emphasis on economy and more noise. The problem is that I can’t see a future for a formula based on ICE technology. Even the most ardent Clarkson follower must surely agree that electric is winning the battle for the future of highway driving. How will F1 to convince engine manufacturers to pour hundreds of millions of Euros into a technology that will no longer translate to mass production vehicles?

On the other hand, although Formula E racing is quite exciting it’s just not the same without the noise, and I speak as a PEV driver.

Best regards…Paul

Mehtab Ahmed
    Participant

Interesting Point!

In my opinion, WEC is pioneering technology, which can be adapted to other forms of racing, so first they brought hybrid engines, which F1 implemented in 2014. There are rumours that the WEC may open its regulation to fuel cells.
    So in my opinion F1 should be a hybrid formula in the longer term, maybe with spec parts to get or keep costs down, and when fuel cells are ‘ready’, f1 can implement them into their power-unit-formula. But I think this is a process which can last decades maybe?

I cannot see a sprint or endurance series which is based purely on batteries as an energy storage, unless research grants a small battery with a decent capacity which can be swapped quickly at a pit-stop for example.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not sure that electric will dominate all future driving. Unless there are some big advances in technology I can’t see electric replacing internal combustion for long distance driving, for example. If you add large goods vehicles into the mix then I think there is space for hybrid technology based on more power recovered from smaller engines. Unfortunately engine noise will always be one of the first things to suffer!

Perhaps eventually an F1 car will have the potential to recover almost all of the wasted energy from the engine and be as quiet as one of the Fomula E cars?

Damon
    Participant

“How will F1 to convince engine manufacturers to pour hundreds of millions of Euros into a technology that will no longer translate to mass production vehicles?”

Why would it be important to do that in the first place?
    I don’t think this is as big of a deal. If engine development becomes redundant and the big manufacturers are no longer interested in spending money on it, then F1 can introduce a spec engine. Simple as that.

Get someone to produce a roaring monster of an engine for everybody and the sport wins (equal power for everybody) and the fans win.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.