F1

F1 races by region

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

I was wondering what the various denizens of F1Fanatic thought about the possibility of changing the order of the grands prix to arrange them in regional series such as the following

Asia/Pacific
    1. Australia
    2. Malaysia
    3. China
    4. Singapore
    5. Korea
    6. Japan

Europe
    7. Monaco
    8. Spain
    9. Great Britain
    10. Belgium
    11. Germany
    12. Hungary
    13. Italy

Middle East
    14. Bahrain
    15. Abu Dhabi
    16. India

The Americas
    17, Canada
    18. United States
    19. Brazil

Of course races could be moved around in their regions if more are added or subtracted for whatever reason (Luxembourg, Austria, Turkey, New Jersey, Mexico etc.) But it seems to me that this might reduce costs due to less flying time and distance, plus it might give some consistency to race times for worldwide audiences. What do you think?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I think the race organisers themselves will protest.

For instance, Singapore and Sepang frequently mention that they are competing with one another for audiences. If you group them together on the calendar, you will create a situation where audiences will be able to go to Sepang or Singapore, but not both. Eventually, one venue will win as more and more spectators go, forcing the other event off the calendar.

But by separating them by six months, you at least give people the chance to go to both, because they can afford to pay for the tickets separately.

Participant

I like having variety by having races on various continents spread throughout the season. We don’t want it to get too formulaic.

Pelican
    Participant

Bahrain and Abu Dhabi probably compete with each other too. Also, it would be hard to find a time of year where the weather’s not too hot in Texas or too cold in Montreal to put those races back-to-back. If you held the canadian grand prix a few weeks before Brazil, in late october or early november, Pirelli might need to make snow tires.

plushpile
    Participant

Yep, I think @Pelican has probably found the most common sense reason why this wouldn’t happen – weather.
    Particularly the races on the American continents as they traverse the equator seeing extreme weather from winter to summer.
    The same problem would exist for the Asian races, but is minimised as many of the races are located in/around the tropics.

GeeMac
    Participant

“Bahrain and Abu Dhabi probably compete with each other too.”

They do, but the most important thing to bear in mid about the races in the Middle East is that race day is Sunday, which is a working day for us. So if you want to be at the track you need to take a day or half day off work. That is fine to do once every six months, probably less so for two consecutive weeks.

Michael
    Participant

Good points all around, I had not heard that various tracks were competing for audiences, but it makes sense. The weather thing is also a concern, I have been to Texas in the fall and you are right, it can get incredibly hot as late as early October. Although it might be funny to see a race there in August on the 2013 tires (50 lap race, 25 pit stops! Tires heat up on the first straight!) it would probably only be funny once. Another thing does occur to me though, the tracks might work with travel agencies to form multiple weekend packages to attract people to more than one race. Just a thought.

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

@dedischado: OP, kindly get your post edited. India is a part of Asia/Pacific column not middle east. You are including China, Malaysia in Asia and not India? Do you need a globe or something?
    Jeez man.

Pelican
    Participant

Aish Heydrich – if you check out that globe you told dedischado to look at, you’ll notice that despite being in Asia, New Delhi is considerably closer to Bahrain and Abu Dhabi than it is to the East Asian races, so geographically it would make more sense to lump it in with the middle east. Sheesh yourself.

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Erm… no @pelican, geographically Singapore is closer to New Delhi. Multi 21 at all of you.
    Middle east was formerly called as Near east being eastern Asia. British started calling it as Middle because it was between India and Arabia.

This region has 21 countries:

Algeria
    Bahrain
    Egypt
    Iraq
    Iran
    Israel
    Jordan
    Kuwait
    Lebanon
    Libya
    Morocco
    Oman
    Palestine
    Qatar
    Saudi Arabia
    Sudan
    Syria
    Tunisia
    Turkey
    UAE
    Yemen
    Source(s):
    1. http://www.mideastweb.org/countries.htm
    2. Myself being one quarter Indian.
    Sheesh yourselves.
    Don’t teach me Geography.

Michael
    Participant

I considered putting India in the Asia/Pacific region, but due to geographical location I thought it might be better to put it in with Abu Dhabi and Bahrain. Also, good point about the origin of the name, I hadn’t thought about it. Finally, this is just my impression and proposal, feel free to offer another if you think you have a better one.

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Ok I see your point, Michael. In that case I won’t debate on the topic of geography.

I would say that my reply to your original question would be similar as prisoner monkey said. Venues shouldn’t coincide in the calender. I currently stay in Vienna, Austria, so I would be really glad to see a race in our own A1 ring, now called Red Bull Ring. It is fascinating, has long fast sweeping straights, perfect for DRS and Kers stuff, but there are not much sponsors apart from RB and a few telecom companies. Ticket sales were bad in the last few GPs but ever since Red Bull is dominating I’m surprised it’s not in the calender.

Note: It’s actually under layout renovation for possible future GPs.

Michael
    Participant

I too am a little surprised about the absence of the A1 Ring, excuse me, the Red Bull Ring, from the calendar, when I heard what Red Bull had done with the place, I thought it would be a shoo in for the spot vacated by New Jersey. But that brings me to another problem with regional series, what if the US, Germany, or Spain has two Grands Prix (as has happened in the past) that could be a problem. So maybe not such a good idea, but I thought it deserved consideration.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.