F1

F1 sky deal update!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Master firelee
    Participant
    Slr
    Participant

It is nice to see that Sky are making an effort to please Formula One fans. However I still feel that there will be many fans who will still be upset.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Meh, still £10-a-month more than I’m paying now… And it works out at £12 per race if you have to buy a year’s worth at once.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

I really doubt that’s going to happen. They’ve never done it before, why would they make an exception just for F1?

F1abw
    Participant

@ajokay how do you come to £12 per race? A year subscription would be £120, divided by 20 races is £6 per race. If it were monthly, it would work out at £90 for a season with £4.50 per race. (If my maths doesn’t fail me which it has many times previously……)

Estesark
    Participant

@F1abw: It’s double that cost if you only count the races that won’t be available on the BBC, which is half of them.

I haven’t seen confirmation of Sky’s plan to do that anywhere else, so I wouldn’t treat it as fact just yet. As Dan Thorn said, they’ve never done it before, with any other sport.

F1abw
    Participant

@Estesark I see where you’re coming from now. I would hope that it would be a monthly contract deal so that you only have to pay for the half you can’t watch already but that would be a highly ‘un-Sky’ way of going about it. It’s usually give as little away for as much as possible with Sky.

robk23
    Participant

I hope this is true, I have a basic Sky package which is £24.50 per month but I wasn’t willing to pay another £20 a month for Sky Sports which just isn’t good value. Sky would still be making money by charging via Freeview (Top Up TV?) or a basic Sky package, I guess they realised that not everyone who likes F1 likes other sports on Sky?

matt90
    Participant

Nope, still going illegal.

Alianora La Canta
    Participant

£120 a year (less than a third of the original projected SD cost) would be interesting and at least shows Sky has some sense of the problem it’s got in using a model requiring mass sign-ups to an expensive system. I doubt I will be able to justify the additional cost even with that feature (especially since I’d have to buy a new box, to get one with an decryption card slot) but I think quite a few people will now.

Dan, I think they’d make an exception for F1 if they thought the Freeview channel would enable them to make the deal profitable (because without something like this, I don’t see how they’d manage to break even on the deal).

damonsmedley
    Participant

Does anyone from Australia know what OneHD are going to do? It doesn’t seem possible that we’re going to be given Sky commentary for free when everyone in the UK is paying so much for it.

I just hope we don’t get Greg Rust and Beattie’s ‘commentary’.

Maksutov
    Participant

@damonsmedley

I am wondering the same thing… I guess we’ll find out soon enough.. I hope we dont have to go to Foxtel

Maksutov
    Participant

Which brings a good point; does anyone know what happens to Brundle and Coulthard?

David-A
    Participant

Beyond buying the TV or box, I have no intention of paying for anything on “free”view.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

There has been no word so far, @Maksutov – but The Daily Fail is reporting that they will both go to Sky, where they will be joined by Nigel Mansell.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.