• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 23 hours, 15 minutes ago

F1 discussion

F1 preview show on Sky – opinions

This topic contains 50 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of S.J.M S.J.M 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AndrewTanner
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

First show so the cohesion between the presentation team will take time people. Great programme and a good choice of presenters. Looking forward to more.

Profile photo of Icthyes
    Icthyes
    Participant

No Eddie Jordan and wardrobe talk. No Jake Humphrey saying “explain to the viewers at home”. No DC’s thinly-veiled bias. Sky has Brundle, Lazenby seems inoffensive as host, there’s Ted doing the technical stuff, Natalie and Georgie are mostly on the sidelines if you don’t think they add much, season review programs and interviews with past legends on a loop. Whole host of interactive stuff promised versus not even watching practice because there’s tennis. Well worth the extra money I would have had to pay were it not for an accommodating friend.

Plus you can do this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6vR-EVyiY&

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Ha! Brilliant video. I guess I’ll just have to convince my housemates to Mexican with me as well.

Profile photo of Pamphlet
    Pamphlet
    Participant

Loving it so far, although I really really really miss DC and Eddie already. The rest of the BBC cast (apart from Brundle who switched) was uninteresting.

Profile photo of ShaneB457
    ShaneB457
    Participant

I think it would be a good idea to have a poll to see who has the sky F1 channel and who will be watching on the BBC..

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

I’ll probably watch some races on the BBC, I’ve got a feeling I’m going to miss Jake, DC and Eddie in the afternoons.

I sort of agree with those who dislike Georgie Thompson, I can’t really understand why she’s there. My guess is she’s there to meet Sky’s requirements for television presentation (too much makeup and jugs).

Profile photo of GeorgeDaviesF1
    GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

Not convinced it feels right off free-to-air, GT does nothing for me really, never much of a fan when she was on their news channel

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

@peteleeuk What you mention regarding ‘coming up next’ sounds a lot like the gift shop sketch!

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@peteleeuk – you admit that you approached the show in a “hugely negative” way. Don’t you think it might be a little bit possible that you went looking for things to dislike about the show because of your preconceptions?

Profile photo of peteleeuk
    peteleeuk
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys – erm, yes. That’s is exactly why my next line was “I want to hate this program and channel”, I thought it only fair to declare those feelings before giving my opinion. That is totally different to having preconceptions though; I had no expectation that it would be bad, I just wanted it to be bad. I also state that “I’m trying to be fair to it and watch it for what it is” and believe I did, I don’t think there’s anything I said that’s unfair or that I don’t truly believe.

I’m intrigued by the positive comments some have come out with. Can someone quantify what it is that was so much better than we have had before? You said P.M. (I’m presuming in support of the show) “And people said there was nothing Sky could do that the BBC wasn’t already doing …”, well what was it? The floating car graphic is good and inventive, other than that what was so new and different? What did you learn or experience that you hadn’t seen or been told before? I just don’t see it.

And yes @rob23 the whole thing made me think of some sort of hybrid between this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Is it possible that perhaps some folks are over analysing it? It’s the first episode of their first season covering F1.

Profile photo of peteleeuk
    peteleeuk
    Participant

Indeed, that’s what riled me a bit about the declaration of the death of the BBC coverage based on it. I really think the most important factor will be the commentary and for that we’ll have to wait and see.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

As much as I liked what Sky showed us and what they have coming, really we’re all tuning in just for the action on the tarmac. Commentary will play into that a lot, especially when it comes to communicating things that aren’t on camera at the time.

I can see already that people will over analyse that but let’s just give it a while yeah? Any good relationship takes time to establish, that’s what makes it so personal and ultimately, professional.

Profile photo of Bullfrog
    Bullfrog
    Participant

Oh look, it’s on Pick TV at the moment…on Freeview…for nothing! Wonder how much more F1 stuff Sky will show on there?

Personally I don’t like the studio full of suits, it reminds me of the early ITV days (ITV F1 was so much better once they binned the studio). And those animated captions are annoying me already, with the drivers staring gormlessly into the camera.

But Hill and Brundle are always worth listening to. So I’ll keep an eye on the Pick TV schedules (if I can find them anywhere) for more F1.

Profile photo of sparkus88
    sparkus88
    Participant

I agree that it seemed a little forced and too serious with everyone suited and booted. Als that GT is pointless for an F1 programme. But I was pleasantly suprised by the show. Remember its only the 1st show. Personally I’m really looking forward to playing with the interactive service, looks to be alot more in depth than the beeb.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.