F1

F1 versus Moto GP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What is quicker around a race track,say Sepang.An F1 car or a Moto GP bike.

Okay this may seem stupid but it is something that has been puzzling me this week.

Nic Morley
    Participant

An F1 car. Maybe a MotoGP bike “might” beat it on a straight but with all the corners; an F1 car would cream IT.

As far as I know an F1 car has the lap record around Sepang of Juan Pabo Montoya. I imagagine a MotoGP bike wuld be no where close.

Stephen Jones
    Participant

one word: Aero

Slr
    Participant

F1 cars take about a minute and a half to get around Sepang, Moto GP bikes take over two minutes to get around the same track.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thats what i thought.I was talking to my friend about this last night who happens to be a Moto GP fanatic.

Anyway she did some research and found that the Moto GP bike was way slower at Sepang,but because i didn’t know if the track differed in length we couldn’t confirm either way;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes that’s what we found out last night:)

Thanks guys:)

VettelS

F1 car will beat a bike around just about any circuit. The advantage comes from the vast amounts of downforce the F1 car produces, so it will absoultely thrash a motorbike in the corners. As for the straights, I think top speeds are pretty similar, but I believe I heard that the F1 car still beats the bike even in a straight line. But basically, F1 car will beat the bike every time, and 95% of the time difference comes from the corners.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

This video gives a nice illustration of the difference in acceleration. Ok so it’s a BSB and not a MotoGP bike but I believe the power is similar. As soon as the F1 car isn’t traction limited it streaks away…

Basically, MotoGP bikes are mind-bogglingly awesome machines, just like their four-wheeled F1 cousins.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Dan- you forgot the link!

Obviously F1 cars are way faster than bikes over the course of a lap. A more interesting comparison would be between Moto GP bikes and, for example, a DTM touring car, or a NASCAR. But I’m pretty sure the highest recorded top speed by a bike was about 215mph at Mugello, which is apprently quicker than F1 cars are capable of

Stephen Jones
    Participant

great video!

personally, even though motogp is slower, i respect the riders so much. It makes racing F1 seem tame in comparison

to think that motogp is only marginally slower, even though the rider is just hanging on to the side of the machine is amazing!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah casey Stoner has just set the lap record there for bikes at sepang, but its nothing spectacular 1m59.665s, but you gotta remember 4 wheels on the ground theres going to be better handling and the aero as well, hence the reason under braking rossi always hangs his leg of the bike acts as a air brake the back end is pushed into the ground so they can brake later and harder but then again you still got to remember braking on one of them bikes there pulling 1.5g under braking so you gotta be strong and fit to endure a race but hands down f1 would win maby not on the straight but in the corners it would deffo lose the bike, never mind there both brilliant sports and bring on the new season, this time of year is the best motorsport is the way forward :)

Dan Thorn
    Participant

I didn’t forget the link. I’m a showman – Gotta keep ’em waiting and all that…

Anyway, here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUhH1w-LMDU&feature=fvst

Asanator
    Participant

Lol @ the Airbrake leg thing! It isn’t an airbrake at all! At best it is to do with weight transfer and moving the COG of the bike as it enters the corner, which is why it is always the leg on the inside of the corner that the riders tend to hang out there, it certainly has nothing to do with downforce to the back wheel or rear braking force. Incidentally, most MotoGP riders/racers in general don’t even use the back brake. the proof of this is that they can’t even operate it if the foot is dangling out in the air instead of on the brake pedal! In most heavy breaking zones the rear tyre is either in the air or skipping along the tarmac and is largely redundant.

Admittedly when a rider sits up entering a braking zone his chest will become a bit of an air brake but the major reason for this is to get as much weight over the front wheel as possible to help the grip level of the front tyre.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ asanator, Yeah see where your coming from it isnt an air brake at all I worded it wrong thank you for pointing that out. But the leg does help shifting rider weight to help keep the bike from skipping up and down at the rear end because I was told this by a British Super Bike rider Josh Brookes but he said he didnt like using it because he felt it unsettled his riding style but then he uses styles other rider dont so it a mixture out in the field everybody uses different styles styles that suit them and are fine tuned to exactly how they ride. But again thank you for pointing out about the air brake thing I worded it wrong but its all good now :).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.