F1

F1fanatic Book Club

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Now I know this isn’t as cool as the music thread but are any of you reading any good books at the minute? They can be F1 related or not!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I haven’t really read anything of late (at least nothing worth writing about), but I’m hanging out for Matthew Reilly’s Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves, which is due out in October. It looks really promising, too.

Alianora La Canta
    Participant

I’m currently re-reading Inside the Mind of a Grand Prix Driver by Christopher Hilton, which has some excellent interviews. Also just finished Etiquette for Dummies by Sue Fox and started on I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett.

Last book I read was a Christmas present from 2009.

I am America – And so can You by Dr. Stephen T. Colbert DFA.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow! Thanks for starting this thread Steph.

I’m currently reading Junky by William S Boroughs.

Are you going to arrange book club meets? You decide on the book, we read, and then discuss?!

After this book, I’m going to start Grapes of Wrath by John Steinback, bit meaty though.

Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

I’m currently reading a book by Haruki Murakami titled “Dance Dance Dance”. Last week I read Aravind Adiga’s “The White Tiger” and Kazuo Ishiguro’s “Never Let Me Go” (out of the three I mentioned, Never Let Me Go without a doubt is the best). In addition, I watched Mark Romanek’s film adaptation of “Never Let Me Go” after I read the novel, and while it still can’t match up to the brilliance of the book, it was still very well-executed and it was a powerful film.

As for F1 books, I have only read Niki Lauda’s memoir, “To Hell and Back”.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just finished reading Roald Dahl‘s autobiography Going Solo. Now I have to read many books for school during the summer, but I plan on reading Niki Lauda’s autobiography in Italian, Io e la corsa, the English version of which should be called The Art and Science of Grand Prix Driving.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oooh, a cool book club. I bet there’s no feminism-during-the-Victorian-era talk around here, is there? Good, ’cause I never made it through anything Jane Austen-related.

I’m currently going through this little facts about F1 book called Abécédaire Insolite Formule 1 (the Unusual F1 Alphabet Book): http://www.amazon.fr/Formule-1-Renaud-Laborderie/dp/226305524X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310737364&sr=8-2

It was a gift and it’s not really skirt blowingly good but it does have these usually unconsidered facts about the sport in them. I suppose it’s the sort of book you got a Formula One fan when you have no clue what to buy for them.

When it comes to proper literature, I’m finishing the latest French translation of the Iliad by Philippe Brunet which took over twenty years to be achieved as the translator has decided to apply the initial form of hexameters and keep the specific rythm created by the homeric use of dactyls and spondees. Needless to say that this more accurate skeleton rythm basis gives this beautiful piece of writing a new breath of fresh air. It’s melodic, harmonious and even more moving and thrilling to read.

I’m all in for book club meets as long as I can get my hands on a copy of the chosen book to be discussed in time where I live, by the way!

Enigma
    Participant

Is this topic only for F1 books or for all books? Because I’d much rather have an F1 book discussion.

Anyway, I really liked Fangio’s auto-biography ‘Life at 300 kph’ or something like that. It’s great reading it from the man himself and it’s interesting just how different everything was in formula one back then. I read half of it in January, and unfortunately haven’t read the second half yet – hopefully I will very soon.

I also have Fangio and Gilles biographies from Donaldson and a few more, most of which I’m yet to read.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also feel free to mention your favourite books too even if you haven’t read them for a while.

Smifaye if enough people are interested and want to get involved then a user can choose a book and we’ll discuss it on here. It might be tricky via the internet but I’d be up for giving it a go as I love this sort of thing so if any of you want to do that then just let me know :)

SamS
    Participant

At the moment i am working through the Jo Nesbo books, currently on Devils’ Star. they are great books, not too much depth to them but for some to read i love them! F1 wise i read Bernie’s autobio on holiday 2 weeks ago and found it quite interesting!

damonsmedley
    Participant

I wouldn’t say I’m not into fiction, because I’m not sure if I am or not! Why? Because I’ve never given it much of a chance. There’s too many interesting facts to be learned from non-fiction! :P

Actually, the last novel I read (that was fiction) must have been The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas back in grade 10. Before that it was Martin Brundle’s Working the Wheel. The last time I read a fictional novel outside of school must have been before I was 10 years old!

But I’m currently reading this because I’m not a nerd. Honest.

beneboy
    Participant

I’m currently reading the History of Mathamatics which is far more interesting than you’d guess from the title.

Alianora; I Shall Wear Midnight is great, I’ve loved the Tiffany Aching books and Pratchett is one of my favourite authors of all time. I just wish he’d write some more Sam Vimes stories !

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Yesterday, I finished a book about the Mafia in New York, t’was interesting. This afternoon, I began a book called “Why do Buses Come in Threes?”, which is full of strange mathematical quirks and patterns. Even though it’s dumbed down for regular unintelligent folk such as myself, it’s still pretty complicated!

Dan Thorn
    Participant

I have that book Ned, it’s great!

That being said, I’m far from a regular reader. I buy many books but very few of them actually get red (I’m a bit of a hoarder). I enjoy reading, but I can never be bothered to do so. The last book I read was Richard Williams’ biography on Enzo Ferrari, and the last novel I read was probably Stephen King’s ‘Insomnia’. (I had to do so for a piece of A Level coursework, and even then I didn’t read all of it!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.