F1

Factory's Mandatory Break

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    HB uber Mod
    Participant

I just wonder what REALLY happens during the manditory shut down. No, I havent read the regs, but something tells me I dont have to.

There is no way I’ll ever be convinced that most, if not all, of the teams are not actually working on their cars in one format or another. Just cos the factory’s are shut I would argue that the teams still find ways to work on them in other venues, causing, contrary to the spirit of the reg’s….additional cost…. not a cost savings.

Anyone got any ideas or theory’s as to what REALLY happens as we all sit about waiting for Spa?

Does anyone actually believe the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Mclaren, et al are actually sitting on beaches without ANY form of production taking place? I dont. Not for a second.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

While the likes of Newey are no doubt still thinking about their cars, I’m pretty sure the factories get inspected. Besides, most of the main players go on holiday for two weeks. How can they work on their cars when they’re sunning themselves on an island somewhere exclusive?

AndrewTanner
    Participant

I was wondering the same myself. Its a FOTA initiative anyway isn’t it? So perhaps they’re more obliging. I would hope they have a break, they deserve it!

I’m sure some minds are ticking away but I doubt anything concrete will be going on, most of the staff will just be appreciating two weeks away from their jobs, as most people would, so it would just be a skeleton staff anyway.

Maksutov
    Participant

“Just cos the factory’s are shut I would argue that the teams still find ways to work on them in other venues, causing, contrary to the spirit of the reg’s….additional cost…. not a cost savings.

Anyone got any ideas or theory’s as to what REALLY happens as we all sit about waiting for Spa?

Does anyone actually believe the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Mclaren, et al are actually sitting on beaches without ANY form of production taking place? I dont. Not for a second. “

I agree with you all the way. This is why Mosley’s cost saving farce was never gonna work in the first place. What a delusional person. There does not exist a method for preventing a team in trying to develop their car, or spending their money to do so. If teams can not do this directly, they will find a way to do it indirectly. As an example, a test ban will only prolong the development but it will never stop it. In fact, one could argue that by introducing a test ban the cost cutting has been reversed, because teams are likely to spend more in finding alternate ways in development.

Lets look at it bluntly, if teams can afford (and are willing to spend!) to pay their drivers 30 million / year or even half or quarter of that (ask yourself why!?), then those teams can sure as hell pay an above average engineer 1/30 th of that to constantly work in improving and developing some aspect of their car. What makes it even more funny is that this engineer could be sitting at home eating fish’n chips and working away, and no one will ever know! The fact is, if you have money you can do almost anything. That is the reality. And im sure teams are doing it to some extent (but they are doing it!).

Hairs
    Participant

I believe Martin Brundle and EJ both said that in F1 a “gentleman’s agreement” is far far more likely to be honoured than any regulations. As far as the team principals are concerned, if they shake on it, they stick to it, with the obvious exception of Ferrari who have twice used “photoshoot days” to test drivers and parts, but that’s only to be expected from that quarter.

Cornflakes
    Participant

I remember Brawn saying the factories email system was shut down for the 2 weeks so no communication could even take place. However, he admitted you couldn’t stop people thinking about new innovations and the monday morning meeting was always full of new ideas.

Ads21
    Participant

“with the obvious exception of Ferrari who have twice used “photoshoot days” to test drivers and parts, but that’s only to be expected from that quarter. “

Lol because obviously no other team has ever tried to bend any of the rules in F1, just Ferrari

Anonymous
    Inactive

“As far as the team principals are concerned, if they shake on it, they stick to it, with the obvious exception of Ferrari who have twice used “photoshoot days” to test drivers and parts, but that’s only to be expected from that quarter”

I thought testing was banned and not a gentleman’s agreement? If there’s a loophole in the rules why shouldn’t the go for it, like the DDD last year etc etc etc?

HB uber Mod
    Participant

“While the likes of Newey are no doubt still thinking about their cars, I’m pretty sure the factories get inspected. Besides, most of the main players go on holiday for two weeks. How can they work on their cars when they’re sunning themselves on an island somewhere exclusive?”

I dont doubt for a minute that the factories are closed but my point, as someone else mentioned, is that they can continue to develope the cars outside the factory. How could anyone enforce an engineer who’s working on paper or on a computer outside the factory….even if he’s in….. lets say Hawaii….he could very easily be working on the car without physically working on the car.

Being an aviation engineer……..me personally, I dont stop thinking about engineering when Im on holiday, much to my missus dismay, some of my best ideas have come when I have been ‘off the clock’. Cos ive less interuptions and a clearer mind. Like any trade, sometime the best ideas come when you least expect them or least try for them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.