F1

Fastest Pit Stops

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    US_Peter
    Participant

On Sunday Vettel had a 3.3 second stop, and I started wondering what the fastest stops are that we’ve seen this year, and all time in F1. Anyone know? I’ve searched around a little online and didn’t come up with much.

Macca
    Participant

Webber’s last stop when he went on to soft tyres was a 3.0 second stop. I pretty sure thats the fastest this season.

wasiF1
    Participant

@ Macca

Agree with you that pit stop by the Red Bull on lap 50 was just 3 sec which so far in the Sunday is the fastest.

James_mc
    Participant

It’s hard to say now that we get pitlane time rather than the stationary time. Anyone know why FOM in all their infinite wisdom have decided on this?

Rachel
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that after the pitlane time (when they leave the pitlane) it comes up with the time for the actual pitstop too.. or maybe I’m just imagining things?

Guilherme

No, you’re not imagining anything Rachel =P They do show the pitstop time after the driver leaves the pitlane.

Do anyone have any video of this 3 second pitstop?

Dan Thorn
    Participant

I’m not certain, and I could have just dreamt it, but I <i>think</i> I saw one under three seconds on sunday. Can’t remember who or when, but I may have done.

Casanova
    Participant

I would be very interested to see a league table of the fastest pitstop each team has managed so far (perhaps each race weekend, if that data is available?) I imagine there is a lot of pride between the teams resting on who comes out fastest in this respect.

Given their importance to the outcome of races (beyond even the several seconds that can be saved, they often determine track position over a rival), you would think it is worth all the teams’ time drilling them until they are militarily precise. Several teams do not appear to do this to a sufficient extent.

The other issue that I have noticed having an effect on the overall pitstop time is wheelspin. With the cars having no traction control, it is up to the driver to feel the traction on his fresh tyres and accelerate as cleanly as possible up to pit-lane speed. Hamilton suffered quite bad wheelspin getting away from his stops in both the incidents with Vettel in China and Alonso in Canada. Arguably in both cases it lost him the place.

Lastly, isn’t it time the measurement of pitstops became more accurate than 0.1 of a second?

sw6569
    Participant

i heard Legard say it. But of course that doesn’t mean that its at all connected or remotely to do with the race :p

Icthyes
    Participant

It was 3 seconds, but is it going to be good enough?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.