F1

Favourite F1 drivers and villains

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    sbl on tour
    Participant

heres my list and maybe not based on ultimate talent but they all had/have something special, in chronological order

1 emerson fittipaldi

2 john watson

3 roger williamson

4 rene arnoux

5 teo fabi

6 nigel mansell

7 johnny herbert

8 damon hill

9 jenson button

10 fernando alonso

villians

1 schumachers – both

2 senna

3 piquet

4 berger

5 irvine (Post ferrari)

scunnyman
    Participant

heroes for me

NIGEL MANSELL

DAMON HILL

DAVID COULTHARD

LEWIS HAMILTON

JENSEN BUTTON

JUAN PABLO MONTOYA

MARK WEBBER

RUBENS BARRICHELLO

JOHNNY HERBERT

MARTIN BRUNDLE

MIKA HAKKINEN

NICO ROSBERG

RICARDO PATRESE

JEAN ALESSI

GERHARD BERGER

SEBASTIEN VETTEL

KARUN CHANDHOK

FELIPE MASSA

KEKE ROSBERG

EMERSON FITIPALDI

ALAN JONES

JUAN MANUEL FANGIO

ALBERTO ASCARI

STIRLING MOSS

GRAHAM HILL

JIM CLARK

JACKIE STEWART

GILLES VILLENEUVE

PHIL HILL

JAMES HUNT

ALEX ZANARDI maybe more so in indycar

villains for me

FERNANDO ALONSO

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER

KIMI RAIKKONEN

RUBENS BARRICHELLO beacause he HAD to know there would be team orders joing Ferrari with Schuey

FELIPE MASSA because he should have known Alonso would force the team to order him aside

ALAIN PROST

NELSON PIQUET SNR

AYRTON SENNA

EDDIE IRVINE all his life

MICHAEL ANDRETTI

Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

This is a bias, because I’m Brazilian, I do consider Senna and Piquet (he made the best out of an inferior Brabham) heroes. But I like Boutsen, Katayama, Sutil, the Rosbergs, Laffitte, Arnoux, Gerhard Berger, Damon Hill, Depailler, Patresse, Niki Lauda, Ronnie Petersen, Gilles Villeneuve, Carlos Pace, and Emmo Fittipaldi.

As for the villains….well, Sakon Yamamoto, Fernando Alonso, Schumacher, Jacques Villeneuve, Alain Prost (sorry for all you Prost fans), Vittorio Brambilla, and of course, my favorite villain of all is Salazar! My Gravatar would not be complete without him!

David-A
    Participant

Heroes-

M. Schumacher

N. Rosberg

K. Raikkonen

S. Vettel

A. Prost

F. Massa (yes, even now)

Villains-

V. Liuzzi (for crashing into Massa then having people blame the Ferrari)

A. Senna (still respect him)

M. Webber (respect him a little)

D. Coulthard

J.P. Montoya

D. Hill

J. Villeneuve

M. Hakkinen (I respect him)

D. Pironi (haven’t seen him, but I don’t like what i’ve heard)

L. Hamilton (like him but he drives for Mclaren, and will likely do so for the rest of his career)

N. Piquet Jr.

Steph90

Well I think generally the villians are

Schumacher

Senna (sorry Senna fans but he went too far at times)

Piquet jnr

Montoya

Jacques

Alonso

Hamilton

Hero of the world:

Kimi Raikkonen

oh and maybe Stirling Moss

However for me the drivers I don’t like and my villaians are:

Damon Hill

“V. Liuzzi (for crashing into Massa then having people blame the Ferrari)” – snap

Eddie Irvine (yes he drove for Ferrari and hyelped on their way to success but he was a plank)

Nelson Piquet snr

Jacques used to be a villian for me but I quite like him now.

Hamilton I’ve never, ever been keen on because I think we either just get PR talk so I don’t feel like there is much personality but he is so exciting to watch when driving that it cancels it out.

Heroes for me (in no order):

Felipe Massa (still don’t know what to think of him after Germany, whether he’s lost some respect by selling himself short or won it by being a team player)

Jean Alesi

Gerhard Berger

Gilles V

Martin Brundle

Rindt

Stewart maybe.

Prost – never used to be a fan but I admire his thinking

Senna- yes I’ve said he’s a villian and he is but I can’t help but be fascinated by him.

Alonso- same reason as Senna. If I ever had to write a biography on any driver that has ever lived it would be Fernando.

Coulthard- I thought he was humble.

Kimi- on a good day otherwise I just found him boring.

Webber a little.

Mike Hawthorn

Mansell was a right whinger so outside of the car he’s a villain but inside an absolute hero for me.

Graham Hill

I have a soft spot for Jack Brabham too.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

My HEROES:

Gilles Villeneuve – what needs to be said?

Alain Prost – Love the calculating driving style, brilliant.

Olivier Panis – Great things for Ligier/Prost before the accident. Thoroughly nice, hard working chap too.

Giancarlo Fisichella – Did remarkable things in unremarkable cars, but couldnt do them in good ones.

Jean Alesi – Any rookie who can take it to Senna in a Tyrrell is a hero.

Gerhard Berger – Great sense of humour, loyal and honorable chap.

Niki Lauda – “To Hell and Back”. You’re damn right.

Nelson Piquet – Great sense of humour, but massively underrated too in my opinion.

Jarno Trulli – Mr Qualifying (post Senna obviously)

Fernando Alonso – Metronomic, meteoric. Complex and interesting chap, but he’s my favourite driver of all time for reasons I’m not entirely sure of.

Mark Webber – Gritty, determined, a proper racer.

Alex Zanardi – He’d be in my list of all time heroes, never mind just an F1 list.

Juan Manuel Fangio – The greatest ever?

Tazio Nuvolari – pre war legend

Andrea de Cesaris – Often punched above his weight – I like that in a driver.

Juan Pablo Montoya – You broke my head you forking idiot…

Jacques Villeneuve – Hmmm what colour shall I dye my hair this week?

Pedro de la Rosa – Too old, not that great in the first place, but loves the sport so much.

Ukyo Katayama – Magnificent for Tyrrell in 1994. If only we knew then why his potential would vanish so quickly.

Keke Rosberg – Anyone with a tache like that is a hero in my book

Ivan Capelli – Heroic perfomances for March/Leyton House

Organisers of the 1960 Italian GP – Hilarious but brilliant.

VILLAINS:

Didier Pironi – I know too much is made of his part in the GV saga, but I cant really let it go…

Lewis Hamilton – Undeniably talented, but too much PR speak or too much putting your foot in it.

Ayrton Senna – Most talented driver ever, but he went too far to prove it.

Kimi Raikkonen – You drove for the two best teams in the worlds most prestigious motor sport. You won many races and a world championship, SO SHOW SOME BLOODY EMOTION!

Eddie Irvine – Just shut up. Please.

Sebastian Vettel – Gloat! Gloat! Moan! Moan!

Alberto Ascari – Don’t know why.

Nigel Mansell – “Winning this championship was harder than it looked”

Jaime Alguersuari – For being younger than me.

OTHER:

Michael Schumacher – Currently would list him as a hero, but it would be hypocritical of me to do so because I used to hate him so much. I cant list him at the moment.

HONOURABLE MENTION:

Ralf Schumacher. Thankyou for all the laughs.

I really could go on forever and there are lot more guys that, thinking about it, I would list, but they didn’t come to my head quick enough so they’ve missed out. Sorry Massa, Button, Arnoux, Coulthard, Hakkinen, Alboreto…Everyone will just have to guess where I’ve placed you!

TommyB
    Participant

Heroes:

Sebastian Vettel

Lewis Hamilton

Mika Hakkinen

Juan Pablo Montoya

Jos Verstappen

Karun Chandhok

Jaime Alguersuari

Villans:

Nigel Mansell

Jenson Button

Mark Webber

Nelson Piquet Jnr

Sakon Yamamoto

David Coulthard

Steph90

Seeing Dan’s list has made me remember a few :

Heroes:

Nuvolari. Without doubt. One of my all time racing heroes.

Trulli for speed

Lauda.

Capelli

Moreno

Villain-

Nelson Piquet was underrated as Dan said but I couldn’t warm to him.

@Dan I’m guessing Massa was top of your heroes list or at least he should be ;P

Ads21
    Participant

Dan has already written my list more or less lol, especially Alrgersuari, how dare he be so young?

And I would add to the list of Heroes Mike Hailwood who wasn’t quite the god he was on bike when he was in F1 he’s still one of my F1 heroes simply for being Mike Hailwood.

sbl on tour
    Participant

villenueve junior, forgot about him , he bacame a right burke

Slr
    Participant

Heroes:

Fernando Alonso

Kimi Raikkonen

Rubens Barrichello

Nick Heidfeld

Kamui Kobayashi

Takuma Sato

Karun Chandhok

Giancarlo Fisichella

Jenson Button

Juan Pablo Montoya

Felipe Massa

Vitantonio Liuzzi

Villians:

Nelson Piquet Jr.

James_mc
    Participant

Heroes:

Niki Lauda – Recovered from a horrifying crash and being led the last rites to come back that season. Criticised by Old Man Ferrari for retiring from a sodden race that season but that will never take away from his bravery and his sheer ability to come back after a 3 year break to win a third WDC

Jackie Stewart – Bravery is required to race the cars of his era, but to stand up against fans, the governing body and some of your fellow drivers required bravery of a different sort. No-one has put as much back into the sport as this man.

David Coulthard – Despite having the measure of Hakkinen in 1997, never became the WDC that he arguably could have. A brilliant man, although as a driver relied too much on confidence

Damon Hill – Perhaps not the most talented or strong-willed driver to win the WDC, but certainly one of the biggest-hearted. An all-round decent guy who deserved his moments of glory. Defined by Hungary 1997.

Fernando Alonso – Vilified in the press but still proves himself to be a great driver on numerous occasions. Had things been different we could well be looking at a 4x WDC

Michael Schumacher – There is a reason why F1 is so popular in Germany. This is it.

Villains:

Michael Schumacher – Adelaide 1994, Jerez 1997, Rascasse 2006 not to mention the subjugating of team-mates, etc. etc. etc.

Fernando Alonso – Scandal and controversy does seem to follow him wherever he goes. Co-incidence?

Rubens Barichello – perhaps sounded like a bit of a winer in recent seasons but like any wine has got steadily better and more palatable with age.

Nelsinho Piquet – OK under pressure etc but at the end of the day, endangered lives of others for the gain of the team.

Sebastian Vettel – As so eloquently put earlier “Whine whine whine, moan moan moan, grump grump grump”. Also his alarming tendency to turn right when there is a rival nearby is not particularly endearing…

Helmut Marko – Not as a driver but his politics as a team-member aren’t the best…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I supported Michael Schumacher when he was in Ferrari, but that’s because he was in my favourite team. Now I think back to Monaco 2006 and think he stopped on purpose. So:

HEROES:

Felipe Massa – Treated always as No. 2 driver but missed by little the WDC.

Gilles Villeneuve – Was good but took too many risks.

Robert Kubica – Talented driver and a very pleasant person.

Rubens Barrichello – Far beyond Schumacher in the early-2000s but still good.

Ayrton Senna – I think best driver of always, and a good person out of the car, something Schumacher can’t say of himself.

Nico Rosberg – Very funny and pretty good.

Luca Badoer – Never had a real chance. I am his fan because I feel so sorry for him.

Nicola Larini – He disputed 2 GPs in 1994 and reached second in Imola. Also he’s Italian.

Vitantonio Liuzzi – Maybe not the best driver, but surely not the worse and he’s Italian. Hope he goes to Ferrari.

Nigel Mansell – Very correct driver.

Arturo Merzario – Same as Badoer.

Lorenzo Bandini – Young and good. Could have won more had he not died.

NON-HEROES:

Lewis Hamilton – Showed some bad episodes, like Australia 2009 & 2010.

Sebastian Vettel – I think he’s one of the best drivers of 2010 but his temper isn’t always OK.

Didier Pironi – Betrayed his friend Villeneuve.

TommyB
    Participant

Ayrton Senna – I think best driver of always, and a good person out of the car, something Schumacher can’t say of himself.

Actually Schumacher has done lots of charity work and donated millions. This is always something that gets forgotten.

GeeMac
    Participant

Heroes: Ayrton Senna, Damon Hill, Mika Hakkinen, David Coulthard, Jos Verstappen, Martin Brundle, Johnny Herbert, Gerhard Berger, Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button, Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Olivier Panis, Jean Alesi, Ukyo Katayama.

Villains: Michael Schumacher, Juan Pablo Montoya, Sebastian Vettel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.