F1

Favourite race ever?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    David Galton-Fenzi
    Participant

Mine is Spa 98.

The link gives a fun look back at what an amazing race it was.
    What are your favourites?

duncanmonza
    Participant

China 2011 was my favorite. The whole race there were half a dozen drivers who could potentially win and no one knew who was going to until the last few laps

Slr
    Participant

Brazil 2006 was my favourite. The action during the opening laps was great, and then Michael Schumacher’s performance after getting that puncture was just amazing. It was also great to see Felipe Massa win his home race for the first time.

David-A
    Participant

China 2006 and China 2007 for me. Schumacher beating the 2 Renaults head-to-head with some last lap chaos in one of them, and Hamilton in the gravel trap with Vettel 4th in the other.

David Galton-Fenzi
    Participant

China 2011 was fairly awesome! Hamilton took the lead late, Webber rapidly closing everyone down late in the race. Don’t you think Montreal of 2011 out did this one though, so far as late race heroics go?
    Brazil has a momentous race nearly every year!
    2001, 2003, 2006, 2008 and on and on.
    Its a very special track!

Dane.
    Participant

Im with @slr Brazil 2006 had me on the edge of my seat. Schumachers driving was sublime

f199player
    Participant

1999 French Gp
    Qualifying was
    A Mixed up grid grid and there was plenty of overtaking in the early stages and then it rained and mixed the order again and we had great battles across the field but it was Frentzen making a one stopper work

James_mc
    Participant

Probably Belgium 1998. The European GP at Nurburgring in 1999 was also good.

damonsmedley
    Participant

Melbourne 2010! Brilliant race with so much overtaking. I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through. It was a very recent race, but the fact I get all nostalgic over it already must mean it was pretty special to me.

Glenn
    Participant

Brazil ’08 for me. Felipe won the race in style but Lewis tied up the WDC in appalling conditions. How he kept his head I’ll never know and how Glock lost so much ground in the final lap.

Pamphlet
    Participant

When it comes to pure, unabridged feelings, there’s nothing to separate Brazil 2008 and Abu Dhabi 2010. The first one is obvious, whereas the second one was mainly because I was desperately hoping that Petrov would keep Alonso and Webber behind him. I’d been rooting against Mark ever since that “Not bad for a #2 driver” event, so seeing Vettel finally, FINALLY break his streak of misfortune that year and deservedly get the upper hand on his teammate was pretty much the best ending to a season I could ever get.

Brazil 2006 is also a great candidate. Fantastic stuff from Schuey, and seeing Massa at the end was what made me love him more than my childhood heroes Hakkinen and Schumacher. So endearing. Made especially better by the Senna fanfare.

magon4
    Participant

Spa 1995 is number one for me. Great rain/dry race with Schumacher holding Hill for almost 10 km on slicks in completely wet conditions…

Todfod
    Participant

Jerez 1997, Spa 1998, Suzuka 2005, Spa 2008, China 2011, Malaysia 2012 are just a few. I’m sure there are a whole load of others I’m forgetting

EDIT – Brazil 2003

raymondu999
    Participant

Hungary 1998 and that other race which I don’t remember. Maybe Keith can help me here – both were races where Schumacher didn’t have the pace (on Hakkinen I think) and Brawn pulled a blinder with a 4 stopper which needed Schumacher to just relentlessly demolish the field.

Pamphlet
    Participant

I forgot about Japan 2000, with Schumacher and Hakkinen showing why they were the class of the field. .009s separated them in qualifying, and literally nothing in the race as they duked it out for what seemed like an eternity. And they were best friends. They were both a minute faster than everyone else, including their teammates. Everyone except Coulthard, Barrichello and Button were lapped.

The sheer fact that Hakkinen was able to take that title fight to the bitter end makes me think that, while he was extremely loved, he was also underrated. Top ten all-time material IMO. The Vettel of his time. A shame that he lost his motivation so quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.