F1

Favourite Singapore Grand Prix

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lotus49
    Participant

The ‘official’ Formula One website is asking for votes on fans favourite Singapore GP. I have no hesitation in voting for 2007. Before all you aficionados exclaim, “there wasn’t a Singapore GP in 2007”, I know. It is far and away the best one of all because it wasn’t there at all. I have never seen a whole Singapore GP. I have never stayed awake long enough.

glynh
    Participant

That’s an interesting question, I enjoy the track and the races but no memorable ones stand out for me.

The only one I remember is when they sent out safety cars repeatedly because the previous one had bunched the cars up and caused another crash. 2011 maybe?

dragoll
    Participant

Webber getting penalised for a ride back on Alonso’s car was memorable at least, that was in 2013. Webber to get grid penalty after lift from Alonso

James Brickles
    Participant

Kubica’s fightback through the field in the latter stages in the 2010 race was awesome, overtaking a car a lap on a circuit that’s difficult to overtake on at the best of times.

Every Singapore Grand Prix has been in Rate the Race, 2010 is the most popular so far. I’d have to go along with that – it’s the only one where there was much of a battle for the lead:

2010 Singapore Grand Prix – 7.194
    2014 Singapore Grand Prix – 6.433
    2011 Singapore Grand Prix – 6.390
    2008 Singapore Grand Prix – 6.302
    2012 Singapore Grand Prix – 5.998
    2013 Singapore Grand Prix – 5.973
    2009 Singapore Grand Prix – 5.336

Browny
    Participant

To what extent has Singapore being a night race saved it. The spectacle is fantastic, but as noted the track is terrible and produces such boring races. I wonder the criticism and disregard the Singapore Grand Prix would face it were just a normal day race. On level with Valencia, even worse I’d argue.

David-A
    Participant

I suppose the most exciting and unpredictable one was 2008 thanks to Renault.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The ‘official’ Formula One website is asking for votes on fans favourite Singapore GP. I have no hesitation in voting for 2007. Before all you aficionados exclaim, “there wasn’t a Singapore GP in 2007″, I know. It is far and away the best one of all because it wasn’t there at all. I have never seen a whole Singapore GP. I have never stayed awake long enough.

Very funny. How mature.

As for favourites, why not the 1966 race? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sVdEcGLgTk

Being serious for a moment, I have enjoyed most Singapore Grands Prix, as it is a race that tends to throw up a little bit of drama from time to time. My favourite would probably be the 2010 edition, where Glock was holding up a train of faster cars. I was hoping in vain for him to score a point until one by one the drivers behind him got past. It never looked very likely he would finish tenth, but it was exciting to watch.

Mankster
    Participant

2014 was my favourite, well from after the safety car.
    Yes Singapore is not the most exciting to watch TV but it’s the best of the 11 different Grandprixs I have attended over the years and the only one I returned to ( will be X4 this time) more besides my home GP (Silversone)x9, despite the distance and cost.

Jonathan
    Participant

I’d tend to agree with 2010 as being the best race for the same reasons everyone else has mentioned – I particularly enjoyed watching Robert Kubica fighting his way up to sixth (IIRC) after dropping to twelfth following his final stop, proving that you can overtake on this circuit albeit with the advantage of fresh rubber. It was also more exciting than usual at the front and as the battle was between Alonso and Vettel it was important for the championship too – especially as in some recent seasons (2011 and 2013, really) the title fight had been all but decided by the Singapore race.

The 2008 race was dramatic at the time but it has since been marred for me by the emergence of the Crashgate scandal, so I now feel that the race basically ended after lap 12 and that the safety car had such a big effect on the race that everything that happened after Piquet hit the wall at turn 17 was directly a result of that incident. I absolutely hated the rule preventing drivers from pitting under the safety car even when they were running out of fuel (I know it was ostensibly introduced for safety reasons, but in practice its main effect was to unfairly penalise drivers who simply had to come in), had it not been for this Nico Rosberg could have foiled Renault’s plot. On the other hand though it took the FIA ages to hand out a stop-go penalty for a clear offence, allowing Rosberg to build up a big lead – why? In other races these penalties were announced during the relevant safety car period. If you must have a rule like that, should it be enforced.

I was thinking about this the other day and although I can understand why the FIA did not want to come down too hard on Renault at a time when they were seriously considering quitting F1, I think at the very least Renault should have had their constructors trophy from the race taken away from them, rather like how Olympique Marseille were stripped of their 1993 UEFA Champions League title after they were found guilty of match-fixing (I should probably also emphasise that the trophy was not awarded to runners up AC Milan in this case).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.