F1

Felipe Nasr to Toro Rosso?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    magon4
    Participant

Auto Sport Bild is reporting that the Brazilian is close to a deal with Toro Rosso, maybe substituting Vergne. Brazilians are hoping for a future champion, seeing an opportunity at the mother team in future (maybe not too far away depending on Daniel’s performances)…
    How does the whole thing sound to you guys?

magon4
    Participant

Btw, AMS reports that Vergne would stay and Nasr would take the place of Antonio Felix da Costa, who isn’t having the best of seasons…

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Jeez, remember during the winter months when people were expecting AFdC to displace Ricciardo or Vergne at some point this season?

Enigma
    Participant

All three deserve to be in F1 next year, no question about it in my mind. Hopefully the one that doesn’t get an STR seat gets it elsewhere.

electrolite
    Participant

Kobayashi out of the sport, Perez to McLaren…

Vergne out of the sport, Ricciardo to Red Bull…

Eh?

JackySteeg
    Participant

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I’d much rather see Nasr get the seat than AFdC. Based on this year’s performance, I’d say Nasr has been more impressive than Antonio Felix da Costa (although maybe that’s because AFdC had much higher expectations).

magon4
    Participant

Agree with @jackysteeg

Max Jacobson
    Participant

AFC’s also been having rotten luck though. And it’s worth noting he’s decimating his teammate.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Does anybody actually know who his team-mate is?

I know, it’s Pietro Fantin. But thrashing him is hardly an achievement when he’s not rated at all.

wsrgo
    Participant

And Fantin is a debutant, whereas FdC isn’t.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

See, I didn’t even know that.

I think da Costa is having a difficult season partly because the team is struggling, but I think the weight if expectation is a bit much as well. People have suggested he is a possible successor to Vettel, which is asking a lot.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nast gets the Toro Rosso seat, with Vergne given a year to improve and da Costa guaranteed a promotion in 2015.

wsrgo
    Participant

Nasr’s perhaps had a better season overall, but he’s so far failed to get either a pole/win in GP2, plus he had a miserable outing last weekend, where he allowed Bird and Leimer to catch up with him in the standings. His rookie season in GP2 was ok but not really mindblowing. And not taking AFC would be a reaffirmation of the failure of the RB Young Drivers Programme and im not sure whether Markko would want such a slur to stick to his brainchild. So i think it will ultimately be AFC who gets to replace Ricciardo next year.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I don’t see how that would be a failure if the YDP. They only promote drivers when they’re ready to promote drivers – not because the promotion is expected by fans.

AdrianMorse
    Participant

Can anyone tell me why on earth Toro Rosso would take Nasr, he doesn’t have any link with Red Bull, does he? If Nasr were a super talent, I could understand if they would want to hire him, but if they just want a capable driver as a stop-gap for a worthy candidate from their own development program, then I can think of a few other names, both inside and out of GP2 (Bird, Wickens, Frijns, if he hadn’t insulted them, to name a few).

But I think Antonio Felix da Costa is a worthy driver, and they should give him a try. I believe motor racing is a difficult sport, where a lot of factors outside a driver’s control can prevent him from getting good results, so a driver should be judged first on the highs he has demonstrated he can reach, and last year’s highs were very high indeed. I haven’t followed this year FR3.5 championship closely, but I don’t believe AFdC has been consistently slow.

If Toro Rosso’s raison d’etre is to evaluate young drivers, they should just go ahead and evaluate him.

wsrgo
    Participant

Actually Nasr does have a Red Bull link..though it’s not much..he raced for EuroInternational in 2009, winning the Formula BMW Europe title with them

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.