F1

Ferrari, Marlboro and social media

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been quite interested to look at Marlboro’s continued involvement with Ferrari.
    I find it quite interesting to see how they are still pushing the limits in terms of car logo, colour and appearance, but I’ve also noticed the hashtag #redseason appear on their instagram and twitter. I wasn’t really sure what this meant as it’s a little vague and nonsensical. Compare this to a quick google search of Marlboro’s latest ads featuring the tagline “be red” or “red is innovation” including pictures of Sebastian Vettel, it shows that they’re still pushinf for a little subliminal advertising, especially now that their cigarette packets contain very feint lettering leaving the red far more exposed and tying the ferrari brand to theirs. It’s not just the teams that push the limits of what they can get away with, but their sponsors too!

Simon
    Participant

Good old subliminal advertising! Is it me or is the rear engine cover paint scheme (the black part) of the current Ferrari reminiscent of the old Marlboro McLaren paint scheme?

sam3110
    Participant

If you look hard enough for something, you’ll see anything you want to see. A black panel on a red car, swooshing the opposite way to a red panel on a white car, and people call it subliminal advertising! What about the panel on this
    MR01
    That’s closer to the Marlboro McLaren, does that scream subliminal advertising to you?

Zazeems
    Participant

I’m not so sure about this. Whilst Ferrari in the past have pushed the boundaries of subliminal advertising (as I recall in 1999 and again in the mid 2000s they were warned and made to change their livery) this seems a bit of a stretch.

A quick google image search for both ‘marlboro be red’ and ‘marlboro red is innovation’ revealed nothing Ferrari or even F1 related in the first couple of minutes of scrolling. Likewise for a seach of ‘ferrari red season’. It seems the only crossover still left is the similarity of their colour schemes.

Ferrari and Marlboro are inextricably linked at least in my mind, thanks to my lengthy over-exposure to their 15 year brand partnership. However nowadays it really does appear that there’s no connection whatsoever.

Simon
    Participant

@sam3110 Yes it is stretching it a bit but I wouldn’t be suprised if it was intentional, it’s pretty much all they can get away with these days after the furore over the barcode logo a few years ago.

They are definitely using the Ferrari association in their advertising in some countries:

PorscheF1
    Participant

Ferrari can’t advertise Marlboro but the other way around outside of F1 seems no issue.

sam3110
    Participant

But it looks absolutely nothing like the Marlboro logo in any way! And Marlboro can use Ferrari on their adverts as much as they like provided Ferrari say it’s OK, there’s no ban on formula 1 appearing in tobacco adverts, just a ban on tobacco sponsors and adverts in formula 1. I just think people are trying to dig Ferrari out yet again for something they have clearly distanced themselves from in recent years.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My aim is certainly not to badmouth ferrari or find things that arent there. Ive always been a ferrari fan. My point is more about the cleverness of what they are doing. Hashtag #redseason has no real meaning which led me to believe marlboro were involved in ferrari’s social media. Looking at ads from the company that don’t necessarily involve ferrari show that they use the word “red” to create an association with their product. Hence why i believe they use #redseason. Maybe a little far fetched but I believe its part of the sponsorship of the team. See links below for their recent ads. Couldnt figure out how to post the images using myphone.

http://stopmarlboro.org/content/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/PMI_Feb-2015-investor-presentation-Be-Marlboro_-Maybe-I-will-commit.jpg

http://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/CFgxFT8UMAArcX_-001.jpg

https://autobahn13.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/2014-07-15-14-27-16.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

Glad it’s not just me that sees the association. Its really clever!

mike-e
    Participant

If you mirror the scuderia ferrari logo and put them next to each other, you have a marlboro packet.

Anyone at a computer care to do the honours? I am on my phone.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

For me it goes beyond the simple similarities in each company’s logos. It’s also about the use of the word and colour “red” to create an almost subliminal association with the Marlboro product.

Does anyone else have any other ideas on what “#redseason” stands for. It doesn’t really make a lot of sense on its own and yet is the one of the few hashtags used in every social media post…

GeeMac
    Participant

Marlboro and Ferrari (and come to think of it, Ducati) have been advertising together in countries with les strict tobacco rules for as long as I can remember. All through a 5 year stint I had living in the Middle East I saw ads for Marlboro with Ferrari F1 and Ducati MotoGP images in them, this is nothing new.

It isn’t subliminal, it is blatant.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Agreed with @geeMac – it is blindingly obvious the current red/white arc logo, as seen on @f150’s post just above this is the closest Marlboro can get to advertising themselves without breaking the rules. Over the years they tried endlessly to display their chevron as best they could, and getting the latest attempt banned.

Here are a few past attempts!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.