• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 9 hours, 56 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Ferrari subliminal advertising

This topic contains 22 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Calum Calum 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt88
    matt88

I started watching F1 in 1995, when i was 7. Never smoked a cigarette…
    I think that smoking cigarettes should be forbidden for underage kids, but an adult person is free to hurt himself/herself as he/she pleases. I find hypocritical to bash just cigarettes when alcohol and gambling advertising are still regarded as fully acceptable.

Profile photo of Giggsy11
    Giggsy11
    Participant

I started watching F1 in 1995, when i was 7. Never smoked a cigarette…
    I think that smoking cigarettes should be forbidden for underage kids, but an adult person is free to hurt himself/herself as he/she pleases. I find hypocritical to bash just cigarettes when alcohol and gambling advertising are still regarded as fully acceptable.

I totally agree with you, I started watching F1 in 2000 when I was 6 and I have never smoked and never planned to. The only advertisement that has affected me was Vodafone (Being a Ferrari fan), I always wanted a Vodafone mobile phone contract because in my young Naivety I thought they must be the best. I do also miss the days of amazing classical liveries that some cars had compared to today’s rather dull cars.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@giggsy11
    Wasn’t just about all cigg ad’s banned in 2000 when you first started watching? You said you always wanted Vodafone because you “thought” it was the best presumably because of the branding. So with that logic, hypothetically if you had been born earlier and if you would have started watching let’s say 10 years earlier, you would have been smoking then???

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I wonder how many RBR fans drink it. Their branding is so remarkably easy to pick out. I was in Cambodia a few years ago watching a race, I think it was the Turkish GP on TV in a cafe and the waitress thought it was funny and boring I would watch cars go round and round seemingly endlessly. But when the RBR car flashed by she instantly said “Red bewlllll, why they have a car?” I told her because it gives you wings. And she didn’t understand that. :)

Profile photo of Giggsy11
    Giggsy11
    Participant

@abdurahman It was banned in 2005, so I had a good 4-5 year exposure to it. If these Conspiracy Theories have ground, then I’ve theoretically had 13 years of exposure. The Logic makes sense but how do I know thats 100% down to F1? TV advertisement may have pushed me into it, or maybe at the time my parents were on Vodafone.
    I’m sure there were studies showing that Smoking Advertisement does have an affect on Children smoking, but a child that is peer pressuring you into smoking probably has even greater effect so I doubt they were going to start banning all the child smokers around me.
    With Extraneous Variables everywhere, you cannot generalise.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

There’s a big difference between already needing a phone contract and being influenced by F1 to choose Vodafone, and F1 actually persuading you to start smoking.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@giggsy11
    Really it wasn’t until 2005? Yah, your young clay like mind :) had a good five years of exposure then, that could have easily been long enough to influence you.
    I recently quit smoking thank god after 20 years of that madness. I was a Marlboro smoker pretty much the whole time but I was never a fan of McClaren and in 500CC motos I wasn’t rooting for the Yamaha team either. But, I sure was exposed to that brand for years and years! I remember Marlboro giving away free ciggs at a stand at Laguna Seca for a bike gp in the early 90’s.
    Some countries were way way ahead of the curve. I just watched the season review for 1977 and in it you could see that in the German GP they had already banned it. The McClaren team had put white duct tape on the back of their shirts to make an attempt at covering the Marlboro.

Profile photo of Calum
    Calum
    Participant

Incomprehensible that a company would give away free cigarettes at an event nowadays! As of last week our supermarkets have to cover up cigarette displays with little flaps to stop children seeing the boxes. Cigarette marketing is regulated very strictly nowadays, I don’t think Ferrari could get away with it anymore, that’s why the barcode is gone.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.