F1

Ferrari will race with the Italian Navy’s flag in India

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mallesh Magdum
    Participant

Ferrari will be racing with the Italian Navy’s flag in India. http://www.ferrari.com/english/formula1/news/headlines/Pages/121024-scuderia-ferrari-will-race-in-india-with-the-flag-of-the-italian-navy.aspx

It appears to be in protest against the arrest of two Italian marines in India for the killing of Indian fishermen. Are the teams allowed to make such a protest, especially when the issue is being tried in court?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Italian_shooting_in_the_Arabian_Sea

katederby
    Participant

The way the press release is worded it’s been careful not to suggest this is a protest so as a private company I suspect Ferrari can support any cause they want. Bernie probably isn’t too bothered about it.

I don’t believe there’s anything in the regulations preventing competitors for expressing support for political causes.

What a shame !

xjr15jaaag
    Participant

But I think that morally, it is a bit shaky

King Six
    Participant

I think that’s a rather low move by Ferrari. Those marines are being held for killing Indian fishermen. How can you show your support for people who have done that?

I’m surprised this isn’t being picked up on yet, it could turn into a rather nasty episode for the team and for Italy in general.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You are right: in february two marines shot and killed two Indian fishers, mistaking them for pirates. The debate regards another matter: India says they were in Indian territorial waters, and thus must be processed there, whilst Italy says they were in international waters, and thus are demanding that the two be freed and returned to Italy.
    This has become a case of Italy vs. India rather than a question of right and wrong. I honestly believe Italy, if they say they were in international waters, are not lying. This is going on from February as I said, and it’s frequently discussed on TV or on newspapers, therefore Ferrari’s actions are comprehensible.

King Six
    Participant

You can’t go around killing people and saying ‘sorry I thought they were pirates’. I think India is within its rights to hold the men for killing their nationals. Especially since Western countries already participate in illegal rendition and extradition for far less crimes… there’s a ton of hypocrisy on that statement.

Imagine if they killed two British fishermen and wanted to just go home and live free, there would probably be Security Council sanctions on Italy for doing so.

Mallesh Magdum
    Participant

@kingsix very similar to the killing of Reuters reporters by Apache pilots. When Taliban kill civilians we all hate em. But in this case, US didnt say a word when the video was leaked. They just shutdown wikileaks.
    Unfortunately in India, F1 doesnt have a huge following and the media havent picked up on the news. If Britain faced a similar issue, Ferrari would have faced a backlash.

Mallesh Magdum
    Participant

@kingsix very similar to the killing of Reuters reporters by Apache pilots. When Taliban kill civilians we all hate em. But in this case, US didnt say a word when the video was leaked. They just shutdown wikileaks.
    Unfortunately in India, F1 doesnt have a huge following and the media havent picked up on the news. If Britain faced a similar issue, Ferrari would have faced a backlash.

Bob
    Participant

Let the lawmakers work the issue out. Political disputes such as this have no place in Formula One, or indeed any sport for that matter.

DaveF1
    Participant

As a Ferrari fan I think this is absolutely ridiculous and absurd for them to bring in such poetical issues. It seems not matter how hard F1 tries to stay away from politics it always seems to find a way back into the sport. Regardless weather or not those soldiers were in international waters or not, it has absolutely nothing to do with the grand prix this weekend.
    Unfortunately I think this is a case of Luca getting on his high horse, I trying to make an example of the Indian judicial system by playing the victim. Sadly I feel that if the Indian people feel the need to direct their anger at this too someone it will end up being the drivers, who probably had little to say in the matter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

While I also don’t agree with Ferrari using the flag on their car, the problem with the two marines is not that Italy is protecting two killers, but that the two are illegaly – according to Italy, and I believe them: why shouldn’t I? – kept in India, whilst the fact happened in international waters, and they should therefore be judged in Italy and according to Italian laws. The importance of this is due to the fact that Indian law allows capital punishment, whilst in Italy it obviously isn’t. There is a great difference.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.