• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 2 hours, 31 minutes ago

F1 discussion

FOM’s endless replays of the start during the race

This topic contains 28 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of George George 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    matt90
    Participant

What annoyed me is how long they spent looking at the first corner, but it was ages before we got a single look at how Vettel had made a mistake in turn 2 which Hamilton had then followed, which is why Hamilton had lost 2 places by the next corner.

Calum
    Participant

Yet with the abundance of replays, camera angles and on-board footage – for the second race in a row an incident at the back of the field is completely ignored replaced. More often than not there is a blatant disregard for anyone outside the top 10/15 even when there is nothing going on at the front

Anonymous

@Calum it was not “completely ignored”. They showed team radio, and 2 replays of the incident.

Calum
    Participant

Lol I’m @Calum – this other Calum is @mazzaf1

Calum
    Participant

@fom-fan Must have missed that, my bad – caught the team radio – but I can’t recall the BBC showing the footage

George
    Participant

Same for me Calum, remember VDG complaining on the radio but no pictures.

graham228221
    Participant

SPLITSCREEN dear god FOM what century is this? Give us splitscreen then you can show us all the replays and pointless pitstops you like.

Dan_the_McLaren_fan
    Participant

I agree, there are too much replays of the start. They should do it like in Moto GP : show the replay of the start when nothing is happening on the track, even if they have to show it during the second half of the race.

Splitscreen is also a great idea : it could also be used to increase the drama (for example if they are showing a pitstop on one screen, and another driver trying to get the undercut on the other). Besides, now a lot of people have a widescreen TV : that should help.

But I think we could be quite patient expecting changes from an organisation who introduced HD coverage quite late.

Anonymous

@mazzaf1 Look at 1:08:50 here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03g03h9/Formula_1_2013_The_Indian_Grand_Prix/ The BBC showed the replays which were part of the FOM world feed.

Anonymous

@Dan_the_McLaren_fan FOM only do things if the host broadcasters actually say they will use them, for example in 2009, only 5 of the broadcasters were able to broadcast in HD, making it a waste of money as far as FOM were concerned. If FOM were to introduce split-screen, i’m pretty sure that Sky would complain (as they also use split-screen) and also the BBC would disapprove as it’s not their style either. Also, all the broadcasters that still broadcast in 4:3 (and yes there are many, as most people in less technologically advanced countries don’t have widescreen TVs) would probably complain if it’s not 4:3 safe. I could see them doing that on the extra channels (And in fact they already do on the Pitlane channel), as they’re not part of the core world feed (Although if you live in the UK and haven’t seen them yet, then there’s no excuse for you not to have seen them really, both the BBC and Sky publicise them).

Anonymous

Of course as with everything on the internet, people are so blinkered by their hatred of certain organisations, that they twist what they saw to better fit their opinions, jumping down on the tiniest little mistake or error, while never praising the good things.

…or I could just be annoyed that we miss out on a significant proportion of live action in the early part of the race because of an excessive number of replays. Nothing more than that.

Anonymous

I’m sure there’s probably a reason why FOM do a long replay at the start in the same manner each race. Whether it’s outside of FOM’s hands or not (i.e. enforced by the broadcasters) I don’t know.

George
    Participant

@fom-fan
    Ah I can see how I missed that, it looks pretty innocuous in the replay. I think VDG was in Chilton’s blind spot, which would explain why no action was taken.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.