Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 7 minutes ago

F1 discussion

FOM’s new rotating onboard camera

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 22 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Force Maikel Force Maikel 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Nick
    Participant

@mantresx

why doesn’t the FOM try something really crazy like that.

FOM usually doesn’t keep up with technology, only switching when something is proven and reliable. That being said, I’m sure the main US series had this technology ready years ago.

I’d much prefer teams having to run a number of cameras, both forward and backward looking, a helmet cam (which we hardly see these days) and sideway cameras. This is a little slow, but they used it nicely on Raikkonen in a corner, but it’s more of a scenery thing than a racing thing. Maybe it’d be nice on the Caterhams and Marussia’s?

Bosley
    Participant

@npf1 all of those cameras do exist on the cars, just they never show them as they’re mostly used for replays for the stewards incase any incidents happen.

mnmracer
    Participant

We need more helmet cams. Always love those.
    A bit disappointed Lewis didn’t use his Google glass in the car. Now that’d be a Tweet I’d RT.

minnis
    Participant

A static 360 degree panoramic view, like Google street view, would be much more useful.

Max Jacobson
    Participant

I did consider Google glass also @mnmracer but I think it’s a bit too distant for now. Give it a few years and I think the drivers could be using heads-up displays like Iron Man and having cameras almost directly on their line of sight too ;)

the_sigman
    Participant

Paul di Resta – Italy: First time for the thermal camera, retires in the first lap.

Kimi Raikkonen – Abu Dhabi: First time for the 180º camera, retires in the first lap.

That’s why Alonso didn’t want it :P

David Coulthard – Brazil 2008: First time for a helmet camera, retires on the first lap.

Force Maikel
    Participant

@sigman1998 @magnificent-geoffrey To think Ferrari was originaly planned to use it the entire weekend but they had it remove after friday because it was effecting the aerodynamics of the car in negative way…

Ferrrari/Alonso dodged the bullet twice this weekend!! ;-)

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.