• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 19 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Formula 1 books

This topic contains 24 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Octopotent Octopotent 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Fer no.65
    Participant

I started last year with my F1 related readings, based on Keith’s recommendations. I’ve read Jackie Stewart’s autobiography (it’s quite long and sometimes it’s boring, but you read it all in his voice ! it’s very nice), and Peter Warr’s too (EPIC book ! loved it from start to finish). I still have in my bookshelf the McLaren M23 Haynes Owner’s Manual which I’m reading now, and the enormous “Inside the Innovator” by Karl Ludvigsen (about Colin Chapman, also recommended by Keith but not reviewed on the website).

Another one Keith missed is Mark Donohue’s “The Unfair Advantage”. It was the first book of motorsport related stuff I’ve read in english. As he was a mechanical engineer like me (well, sorta, I’m still in university), I decided to have a go and I got it.

Excelent from every angle. He goes into detail on all the cars he drove and how he worked to make them faster, all the different ones aswell ! from amateur races, Trans Am, to Can Am, Le Mans and F1. I reckon if it came with a perfume, it’d be racing fuel in a little glass bottle, cuz that book screams motorsport. Recommended !

Roald
    Participant

Thanks for the recommendations! Some books I didn’t know about yet. I think the books review section on your website is really underrated @keithcollantine !

Roald
    Participant

Since I never read one… what’s the best book about Senna in your opinion?

Roald
    Participant

No one?

Nick
    Participant

I’ve been meaning to post in this thread for a while now, but kept forgetting..

I got a book on 50 years F1 when I was a kid, which had all the races in very short reviews. To be honest, I never read it much, because it read pretty hard for a kid (and I didn’t know much about F1 pre-1994 back then). It got some pretty poor reviews in F1 magazines as well, mainly because they kept using the same expressions, like “If there really were 100.000 people, half of them dressed up as empty seats”. Ironically, I got the ’60 years of F1′ version of the same book 10 years later..

I’ve also read James Allen’s Schumacher biography, but being a massive Schumacher fanboy at the time, there wasn’t a whole lot I didn’t already knew and I don’t think I ever read it cover to cover.

My parents have a book on ’100 years of Grand Prix racing, 50 years of Zandvoort’ which I used to read quite a lot. It had a pretty decent info-level for a novice reader, but lately I haven’t been inclined to read it, again because most of the info is pretty much common knowledge to F1 fans who’ve been watching for a while.

Recently I picked up some in-depth season reviews by Ulrich Schwab at a used book store. I currently have the 1981 and 1982 books, but am looking to get more, as they do have a level of information you don’t often find online or in magazines, especially on the cars (not that I’m doing much with the information what type of crankshaft the Hart engine of 1981 used) and they have some great pictures. The 1982 book even had some hidden gems; a Mobil 1 poster with Keke Rosberg and a picture of Elio de Angelis’ win at the Austrian GP. Based on the content of the books, I’d say that his season reviews are worth checking out if you enjoy in-depth reviews of races and plenty of technical information on the cars. His writing style is somewhat opinionated, though.

I need to get my hands on Stewart’s autobiography after reading this thread, though. I’ve also been looking for Matchett’s books and Di Spires’ ‘I just made the tea’. To be honest, the mechanic and (especially) hospitality angles of the F1 life are very intriguing.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@Roald Got a review of another one coming up shortly…

For me I’d pick Richard Williams’ The Death of Ayrton Senna and Tony Dodgins’ All His Races, which was reviewed two weeks ago:

Ayrton Senna: All His Races reviewed

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Given today’s sad events I should recommend finding Jack Brabham’s 1971 autobiography “When the flag drops” if you can. I find autobiographies can be very hit-and-miss but his is pithily written and full of great stories.

Roald
    Participant

Thanks @keithcollantine will check those out!

Roald
    Participant

Just ordered “The Death of Ayrton Senna” by Williams, the Ecclestone biography by Watkins and “Remembering Elio”, a hardcover book with pictures about the life of Elio De Angelis.

Octopotent
    Participant

From Starting Grid to Chequered Flag By Paul Frere is very good. It is an account of his racing career as a journalist/driver from 1948 to 1960, from entering his first motor race after persuading his friend to enter his mg is spa 24hr to his entry in many grand prix (including monaco 55 and spa 55,56 where he finds himself driving for the ferrari team) and le mans 24rh races. I would whole heartedly recommend picking this book up if you can find it!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.