F1

Formula One teams you miss

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Sadly many F1 teams have bitten the dust over the years, even some of the very successful ones. Wanted to ask … which ones do you miss the most? As is now ‘tradition’ (!) here is my top 5 …

5. Brabham – had a sense of style but also a very strong engineering heart
    4. Jordan – achieved so much from a small beginning, such a charismatic team with good eye for talent
    3. Super Aguri – in F1’s most ruthless era, they had a good nature and sense of fun sadly lacking elsewhere
    2. Arrows – would occasionally spring a surprise, had some great looking cars over the years – and where Ross Brawn first had his chance to really shine
    1. Minardi – racers through and through, home for many drivers at the start, and the end, of their careers.

Interested to hear your views!

For me it’s mainly the grand old names of the sport: Brabham, Tyrrell, real Lotus.

Kingshark
    Participant

I’ve only been watching since 2002 so I won’t be picking any teams before that.

Toyota
    Jordan
    Minardi
    BAR-Honda
    Jaguar
    Arrows

Anonymous
    Inactive

Only one.

Jordan F1 team.

They were totally the best.

Meander
    Participant

(Leytonhouse) March
    Brabham
    Jordan
    Tyrrell
    Ligier

JackySteeg
    Participant

Two spring to mind – those plucky underdogs at Minardi and Jordan.

George
    Participant

I was a fan of Olivier Panis as a kid, and a retrospective fan of Jacques Laffite, so I have to say Ligier/Prost.

matt90
    Participant

Alfa Romeo
    Maserati
    Brabham
    Lotus
    Tyrrell
    BAR
    HRT weirdly

Fer no.65
    Participant

The team I miss the most, by a long, a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way is Minardi. Best. Team. Ever. Period.

Then;
    Jordan (cool yellow liveries were always nice to see…)
    Ligier (French blue and so much history)
    Old Lotus (dah… obviously)
    Arrows (yeah! even the name was cool)
    Benetton

barkun
    Participant

Minardi all the way !!!

then; Footwork, Tyrrell, Real Lotus, Ligier,

Diceman
    Participant

Jordan and Minardi were my favorite teams as a kid, so 2005 was rather sad year for me. For some reason I also miss Jaguar, probably because they made so cool looking cars.

Uzair Syed
    Participant

Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Old Lotus, Benetton, Minardi, Jordan, Arrows, Jaguar, Prost/Ligier, Stewart, BAR, BMW, Midland, Spyker, Toyota, Brawn GP, Renault, Honda, HRT

The only team I don’t miss is Super Aguri. The drivers they brought in were rubbish, like Ide and Davidson (who is better at analysing things on Sky Sports) and their management was poor. Good for them that their back at Formula E now.

Nick
    Participant

Team Lotus (technical innovations, not afraid to sign a young talent)
    Brabham (technical innovations)
    Benetton (hip team, great driver line ups)
    Prost (refuge for French drivers and I just really liked Alain as team boss)
    Minardi (the art of perseverance, great place for rookies)
    Jordan (probably the hippest team, great place for rookies and as interim career)
    Arrows (endless drama, endless entertainment)
    Tyrrell (heritage, Uncle Ken had great taste in drivers)

I personally wouldn’t put BAR on this list just because of their ‘we’re going to win our first race’ mentality and how they took 3 seasons to realize F1 wasn’t that easy.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

Jordan and Super Aguri for me. Sad to see both go when they did. At least we have Aguri in Formula E this year!

ahw3ll
    Participant

I keep misreading “real Lotus” as “Rial, Lotus”!

I’ve got a soft spot for the teams that were around in the early nineties, when I started watching. So I miss the likes of Minardi, Simtek and Jordan.

Also, not sure if these count, but I always wonder what those teams who never got their cars to a race could have achieved if they had the chance – the likes of Dams, Dome and even USF1 (despite their toaster-heavy development plan).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.