Sadly many F1 teams have bitten the dust over the years, even some of the very successful ones. Wanted to ask … which ones do you miss the most? As is now ‘tradition’ (!) here is my top 5 …
5. Brabham – had a sense of style but also a very strong engineering heart
4. Jordan – achieved so much from a small beginning, such a charismatic team with good eye for talent
3. Super Aguri – in F1’s most ruthless era, they had a good nature and sense of fun sadly lacking elsewhere
2. Arrows – would occasionally spring a surprise, had some great looking cars over the years – and where Ross Brawn first had his chance to really shine
1. Minardi – racers through and through, home for many drivers at the start, and the end, of their careers.
The only team I don’t miss is Super Aguri. The drivers they brought in were rubbish, like Ide and Davidson (who is better at analysing things on Sky Sports) and their management was poor. Good for them that their back at Formula E now.
Team Lotus (technical innovations, not afraid to sign a young talent)
Brabham (technical innovations)
Benetton (hip team, great driver line ups)
Prost (refuge for French drivers and I just really liked Alain as team boss)
Minardi (the art of perseverance, great place for rookies)
Jordan (probably the hippest team, great place for rookies and as interim career)
Arrows (endless drama, endless entertainment)
Tyrrell (heritage, Uncle Ken had great taste in drivers)
I personally wouldn’t put BAR on this list just because of their ‘we’re going to win our first race’ mentality and how they took 3 seasons to realize F1 wasn’t that easy.
I’ve got a soft spot for the teams that were around in the early nineties, when I started watching. So I miss the likes of Minardi, Simtek and Jordan.
Also, not sure if these count, but I always wonder what those teams who never got their cars to a race could have achieved if they had the chance – the likes of Dams, Dome and even USF1 (despite their toaster-heavy development plan).