F1

Formula 1 Virtual Ethnography

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Naomi
    Participant

Hey, I’m doing a Virtual Ethnography assignment (the study of people interacting in an online community) as part of my final year degree and thought what better than writing a 2,000 word report on F1 Fanatic! I am a big follower of Formula 1 and although relatively new to this forum I would love your help with my project.

Basically I’m looking at how the F1 online and offline communities differ, and I need your help. No names will be used in my study.

Please answer these questions if you have a few minutes to spare:

1 – What is your age, gender, location(country)?
    2 – How often do you visit this forum/post on this forum?
    3 – Do you feel the F1 Fanatic forum offers a sense of community? How does it differ to the offline F1 community?
    4 – Do you find it easier to communicate and voice your opinions online on the forum, than offline face to face?
    5 – Does being part of the F1 Fanatic forum influence the drivers/teams you follow or your opinions on other drivers/teams?
    6 – Do you think there’s a downside to communicating online rather than just offline?
    7 – What do you think is the best aspect of communicating in the F1 Fanatic forum?
    8 – Do you communicate with any F1 Fanatic members on Facebook/Twitter or any other messenger? If so how many, how often, in depth conversations or small talk?
    9 – Do you communicate with any F1 Fanatic members face to face? If so, give examples.
    10– Do you communicate with F1 Fanatic members more online or offline? Why do you think this is?

You do not have to answer every single question if you feel there is no need to. Your answers can be long or short it doesn’t matter, as any information is important. If there is anything else you think may benefit my study please let me know. If you would like to find out more about my study please feel free to message me.

Thank you so much for all your help.
    Naomi :)

Nic Morley
    Participant

Good luck on the project mate! :)

18, male, Australia

At least once a day, if not multiple times a day.

3 – Do you feel the F1 Fanatic forum offers a sense of community? How does it differ to the offline F1 community?
    I don’t know many F1 fans to talk to in person, so having a site to visit each day with passionate F1 fans to talk to is great.

4 – Do you find it easier to communicate and voice your opinions online on the forum, than offline face to face?
    Yes.

5 – Does being part of the F1 Fanatic forum influence the drivers/teams you follow or your opinions on other drivers/teams?
    No.

6 – Do you think there’s a downside to communicating online rather than just offline?
    Face to face may be easier, but there are no F1 fans I know to speak face to face with.

7 – What do you think is the best aspect of communicating in the F1 Fanatic forum?
    In my case running a virtual series is what brings me to the forum.

8 – Do you communicate with any F1 Fanatic members on Facebook/Twitter or any other messenger? If so how many, how often, in depth conversations or small talk?
    Yes, more often then not we speak about F1 in general or the virtual series.

9 – Do you communicate with any F1 Fanatic members face to face? If so, give examples.
    No.

10– Do you communicate with F1 Fanatic members more online or offline? Why do you think this is?
    Online, all the F1 fans I know are only online.

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

16, Melbourne, Australia

2 or 3 times daily

Here in Australia the F1 world isn’t spread. Here I can communicate with aquaintances from all over the world who share the same passion as I do for F1.

Offline. I feel you can communicate in more depth this way.

Not really. I always go for the Aussies and stick to them.

As I mentioned before, you can’t talk to each other with the same depth, unless voice call with Skype or something…

The games aspect. Things like the Track Designing Contest (needs numbers guys!) And Formula Virtual (F1F Virtual GP Championship) let me sit back and really enjoy the forums alot more.

Small talk, very rare though.

None to this day.

Online. I’m in a much different part of the world to what most of the community is. (I’m possibly headed to Greece next year though if anyone wants to change that ;)

Thanks for this Naomi, Good Luck!

Carlos Santos
    Participant

30, male, Portugal.

Visit multiples times everyday/Post a couples times a year.

Yes. It’s difficult to find a offline group of people that are so knowledge and so polite.

No.

Yes.

Of course, if there was a pub around the corner full of F1 Fanatics that would be best!

People have knowledge, they are polite and respect each other. There are people of all ages and the younger ones behave properly.

No.

No.

I come here to learn about F1, not to socialize.

Sir Teukka
    Participant

-20, Male, Finland.

-I visit daily, most days multiple times.

-I rarely comment, but the F1F-group of people are some of the most knowledgeable fans I have ever seen.

-Not really. I have a few friends who are fans of F1 so I mainly communicate with them.

-No, I like who I like. But if there are incidents or debates, it’s good to hear other opinions.

-Face to face is better.

-Like I said, people here know so much about F1 and very rarely are they rude or offensive towards others.

8, 9, 10 – No.

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

I’m male btw, just noticed that i missed it :)

RichieT
    Participant

23, Male, England.

Only recently joined, but visit this forum most days.

Yes definitely. Don’t know that many people offline that enjoy F1 as much as these guys heree.

Haven’t engaged with anyone apart from this but everyone seems welcoming to others!

Yes.

Yes, face to face would be better because you’d be able to have a more in-depth conversation :)

Everyone is nice to one another and you can learn from other people if you don’t understand something.

Yes on Twitter, usually discuss results and quali

No

Here more so, helps me learn.

Thanks and good luck with your report! :)

Naomi
    Participant

Thank you guys so much for your help :) Its great to see that you all feel welcome and can engage and learn on this forum!

Mathers
    Participant

1 – What is your age, gender, location(country)? 18, male, United Kingdom
    2 – How often do you visit this forum/post on this forum? Multiple times daily.
    3 – Do you feel the F1 Fanatic forum offers a sense of community? How does it differ to the offline F1 community? It’s a place to talk to like minded individuals about not only Formula One, but other aspects of motorsport, and indeed any aspect of life. It’s so much easier to find someone to talk to about Formula One than offline – I don’t personally know anyone who follows F1 to the extent that I do.
    4 – Do you find it easier to communicate and voice your opinions online on the forum, than offline face to face? Far easier, if only because of physical distance.
    5 – Does being part of the F1 Fanatic forum influence the drivers/teams you follow or your opinions on other drivers/teams? Not at all, I followed every team and driver prior to joining the forum and still do afterwards.
    6 – Do you think there’s a downside to communicating online rather than just offline? Not really, it might be nice to meet up at a race to meet each other, but the ease and speed of getting good conversation is something that nothing else can provide.
    7 – What do you think is the best aspect of communicating in the F1 Fanatic forum? It’s so easy to use, and within minutes you usually get a response or answer to a question.
    8 – Do you communicate with any F1 Fanatic members on Facebook/Twitter or any other messenger? If so how many, how often, in depth conversations or small talk? I talk with one in particular almost daily, and others a small amount.
    9 – Do you communicate with any F1 Fanatic members face to face? If so, give examples. I have never communicated face to face with them.
    10– Do you communicate with F1 Fanatic members more online or offline? Why do you think this is? Solely online, because it’s not practical to get to the South of England, never mind the South of Australia to chat with someone, no matter how nice it would be!

Bexi McD
    Participant

26, Female, USA
    Visit daily, didn’t post until today
    Yes of course! I don’t know many that like formula 1 outside this forum.
    Find it easier to communicate online rather than offline as people online know exactly what you are talking about as opposed to people who might know you like F1 rather than follow it.
    Doesn’t really influence who I follow as I’ve followed Schumacher and Raikkonen since the get go and nothing people say will change that.
    Yes of course as it’s all from behind a screen, you don’t get to experience peoples really feelings for the sport.
    Easy to find stuff out if you’re finding something hard to understand.
    I do interact with people on Twitter but I do not know these personally. Conversations revolve around matters such as results over the Saturday and Sunday and any new rules etc.
    No as no one i know follows the sport.
    100& online, because people online have the same level or even greater knowledge about the sport and are accepting.

Good luck with your report Naomi

minnis
    Participant

21, Male, England

Visit multiple times a day, post rarely.

Yes

Online. Requires very little effort and only a computer, and no one can interrupt you etc.

No.

No.

Everyone will have an opinion so you can hear things from both sides.

Well yes, 2. I’m related to one and marrying the other! Other than that, no (I have not spoken to anyone new as a direct result of f1fanatic).

Again yes, I don’t think my Fiancee would like it if I didn’t speak to her face to face! But other than her and my brother as mentioned above, no.

10– Do you communicate with F1 Fanatic members more online or offline? Why do you think this is? Offline.

Dan
    Participant

Hi these are my answers to your questions

1 – What is your age, gender, location(country)? male 30, England
    2 – How often do you visit this forum/post on this forum? Daily
    You are able to discuss views with more people for example I don’t know any other f1 fans personaly

yes for the answer in question 3

yes as other people are able to express views and thoughts I haven’t thought of or considered

yes as sometimes offensive stuff gets through

the level of enthusasium/ number of people here

N/A

N/A

Yes online see question 3

if you need more help please let me know, out of interest for your study have you considred the potential aspect of F1 having an official social media pages i.e twitter/ face book etc? as the drivers/ teams with official social media pages all have several thousand followers

jsw11984
    Participant

21/Male/Auckland (New Zealand)

Daily, when I feel I have something worthwhile to contribute

Yes, unknown because its quite small in NZ

Yes

No, I follow Daniel Riccarido because he’s the closest I have to a home driver

No

Ease of communication with people from other countries

No

No

Online, as above

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.