F1

Formula One Fantasy – Your turn!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Before every race F1.com does one of these with a different driver. Questions are the same each time to let’s have a go of it here on the forum :)

Q: You must choose a city for a new Formula One street circuit – which city, anywhere in the world, do you choose, and why?

Q: If you could choose one former world champion as your team mate, who would you choose and why?

Q: Formula One innovations of the past – ground effect, active suspension, turbocharging, six wheels, the list goes on. If you could bring back one past innovation, what would it be and why?

Q: What innovations would you like to see in the future?

Q: You can only drive at one circuit for the rest of your life – which circuit, past or present from anywhere in the world, do you choose?

Q: Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Tyrrell, March are just some of the teams that have departed the sport. Which former team would you most liked to have raced with and why?

Q: You have to design a new F1 circuit, combining all your favourite corners from other tracks around the world. Which three corners are top of your list and why?

Q: You can travel back in time and compete in any decade of Formula One racing, from the 1950s to the 1990s. Which decade would you choose and why?

Q: If you could pick two Formula One greats of the past (from different eras) to watch race against each other, who would you pick?

Q: If you were a team boss, which current driver would you pick first for your team (excluding yourself and your current team mate)?

Q: Just 19 of the world’s motor racing circuits feature on the current F1 calendar. You can add one more. Which circuit do you pick and why?

Q: You are having a dinner party and can invite four people from the world of motorsport, past or present. Who do you invite?

Q: You are given the chance to drive any legendary Formula One car of the past (excluding those made by your own team). Which car would you choose?

Q: Rooftop swimming pool, bowling alley, revolving sushi bar – just some of the features most F1 motorhomes don’t possess. If you could add one thing to your team’s motorhome, what would it be?

Q: Imagine you have just won the world title. Where would you go for your celebratory meal and what would choose from the menu?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great idea! :D

Q: You must choose a city for a new Formula One street circuit – which city, anywhere in the world, do you choose, and why?

-It’s tough between New York, Moscow, Rome and Paris for. I have no idea how layouts would work at any of them but just because I love this city I would choose Rome.

Q: If you could choose one former world champion as your team mate, who would you choose and why?

– Alonso. He’s the best in my opinion and his personality fascinates me. I’d love to see who he really is and watch him every weekend in his element. I’d probably be too busy watching him to actually do my own job though.

Q: Formula One innovations of the past – ground effect, active suspension, turbocharging, six wheels, the list goes on. If you could bring back one past innovation, what would it be and why?

-. Honestly, I’d just like bigger engines again -more power less grip is how it should be but that’s not really an innovation. Probably ground effects then. I’m not really looking forward to turbos coming back.

– F1 was supposed to have ground effects but then that idea got crunched up and thrown in the bin. I’m not really sure. I’m ambivalent towards turbos but at least it’ll be interesting and might shake up the teams a bit.

Q: You can only drive at one circuit for the rest of your life – which circuit, past or present from anywhere in the world, do you choose?

– Tough between Monza, Imola, Interlagos, Hungary, Canada, Hockheinem, Singapore and Monaco. I’ll go with Imola.

Q: Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Tyrrell, March are just some of the teams that have departed the sport. Which former team would you most liked to have raced with and why?

– Alfa Romeo because it’s Alfa Romeo! If Alfa came back they’d be the only team on earth that might be able to sway me from being a Ferrari fan.

Q: You have to design a new F1 circuit, combining all your favourite corners from other tracks around the world. Which three corners are top of your list and why?

– Ascari because it is simply brilliant, Parabolica because I always find it a nightmare and turn 8 for G-forces.

Q: You can travel back in time and compete in any decade of Formula One racing, from the 1950s to the 1990s. Which decade would you choose and why?

– 80s. Just because Gilles raced then and then after his death I could occupy myself watching some of the great names rising up.

Q: If you could pick two Formula One greats of the past (from different eras) to watch race against each other, who would you pick?

– Gilles Villeneuve and Jean Alesi.

Q: If you were a team boss, which current driver would you pick first for your team (excluding yourself and your current team mate)?

– Fernando Alonso.

Q: Just 19 of the world’s motor racing circuits feature on the current F1 calendar. You can add one more. Which circuit do you pick and why?

– Imola. There are a load of great tracks and countries which I wish were on the calendar but I loved watching Imola. I know it’s a load of chicanes today but it can still provide excellent racing and I think it’s a good track to hustle a car around.

Q: You are having a dinner party and can invite four people from the world of motorsport, past or present. Who do you invite?

– Alonso, Massa (I think Smedley should automatically have to come with Felipe but not count as a person as these two are joined at the hip:P), Gilles Villeneuve and Alesi.

Q: You are given the chance to drive any legendary Formula One car of the past (excluding those made by your own team). Which car would you choose?

– Ferrari 158. Surtees raced it and it was the most beautiful Ferrari ever. I nearly chose the F2002 though.

Q: Rooftop swimming pool, bowling alley, revolving sushi bar – just some of the features most F1 motorhomes don’t possess. If you could add one thing to your team’s motorhome, what would it be?

– a whacky warehouse.

Q: Imagine you have just won the world title. Where would you go for your celebratory meal and what would choose from the menu?

the Ferrari motorhome and whatever they eat there.

I’d love to see a Grand Prix in Hong Kong. Having visited there myself, it’s a wonderful, vibrant, exciting metropolis of a city with towering buildings, a beautiful harbour and a fantastic mixture of cultures. Gran Turismo 4 had a fictional but plausible track around the city area across the harbour including a long back straight up along one of the main shopping streets. It was one of my favourite street tracks so I’d love to see a race in a similar setting one day, especially at dusk.

Sir Jackie Stewart. You could tell that he truly cared about all of his team mates and had an especially strong personal relationship with the late Francois Cevert. I think that as a triple World Champion he’d have been a fantastic driver to race alongside and to have as a mentor.

Probably ground effect. The way those initial ground effect cars utterly blew the competition and from the fictional X2010 project that was born out of the partnership between Adrian Newey, Red Bull and Polyphony Digital has me salivating at the prospect of how quickly the cars would lap if they were able to exploit that phenomenon today.

I’d like to see more innovation and development in the area of renewable energy in Formula 1. KERS has been a great addition to the Formula and is a great initial step, but I’d really like to see what could come out of Formula 1 designers and technicians truly sinking their teeth into electric or maybe ever hydrogen fuel cell technologies.

Silverstone. Fast, flowing, drenched in history, drenched in rain most of the time. Will always have a special place in my heart as the circuit where I saw my first Grand Prix and many others after that.

Jordan. Partly because Eddie Jordan is a personal hero of mine but because I always had a soft spot for the team during their existence as EJ’s team. I loved how they were more ‘fun’ than most other teams. I loved how they were the underdogs, a true independent honest privateer team that took on the big boys and occasionally beat them fair and square. I also believe that the old yellow ‘viper’ and ‘hornets’ Jordan liveries were the best of their era. I’d have loved to have debuted for Jordan to start my F1 career.

1) 130r – still love it despite it’s neutering over the years.

2) Corkscrew, Laguna Seca – the most brilliant naturally occurring corner anywhere in the world.

3) The Chase, Bathurst – insanely fast, flat-out kink immediately into a heavy braking zone. Takes balls in a V8 Supercar, will need something even more in an F1 car.

1960s. Mainly because of my experience driving those cars, albeit virtually, on Grand Prix Legends. Trail braking, four tyre drifts, incredible (but dangerous) circuits and some of the greatest names in the sport’s history – Clark, Hill, Brabham. So the 60s would be my choice.

Ayrton Senna and Jim Clark. The two most respected racers in the sports history amongst their peers. Two God-tier drivers with other-worldly abilities. It would be THE ultimate.

Lewis Hamilton. Yes, he’s made a few mistakes recently, but I don’t think he’s any less of a driver than he’s ever been at any point of his F1 career. There are races Hamilton wins and moves he is capable of pulling off that simply no other driver on the grid can do.

Bathurst. Yes, I know it wouldn’t be allowed but as far as racing circuits go, this one is a behemoth. Huge, fast, massive elevation changes and one hell of a challenge.

Eddie Jordan.

Murray Walker.

Sir Stirling Moss.

Bernie Ecclestone.

The Lotus 49 from 1967.

A giant bouncy castle.

Burger King. I’d probably order three Ultimate Super Mega Xtreme Whoppers with extra bacon and cheese and wolf it all down with a nice glass of Moet.

damonsmedley
    Participant

I’m with Kamui! Tokyo would be amazing.

Jim Clark, because apparently he was a very nice chap.

V10s. Because they make every hair on my body stand on end and on the rare occasion, bring a tear to my eye.

Nothing. Don’t change a thing.

Probably Albert Park. I spent over 24 hours on the time-trial mode in F1 2010 trying to break into the top 100. And I’ve just been playing on F1 2011, and I’m currently 19th in the world! :D It’s the only track I don’t get bored of. I’m addicted to it, you could say!

Probably Brabham, because I’m Australian and it would be pretty cool.

Turn 11/12 chicane in Melbourne, Pouhon, and Massanet. All massively frustrating in video games, but epic to see drivers negotiating in the real.

1990s. Because the cars looked and sounded their best, and whilst the racing wasn’t always amazing, you always had the awesome aspect of the sport to fall back on when the overtaking was lacking.

Clark and Senna.

Fernando Alonso.

I’d say Imola if it weren’t in Italy, because they don’t need two Grands Prix. But actually, Imola would probably still be my first pick!

Clark, Damon Hill, Brabham, and my uncle Rob. :P

Ferrari 641. Prettiest F1 car ever, and hopefully I’d be able to stroke its curves as I stepped in and out of it… ahem.

A barbecue for throwing shrimps onto.

Home. And I’d order some Indian take-out.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

Awesome thread!

New York. Formula One is still very underexposed in North America even with Austin coming next year, just think it would be awesome racing round the Big Apple, might capture the public’s imagination a bit more.

I was tempted to go for Sir Jackie too, absolute motor racing legend but I think I would pick Niki Lauda. He was a special driver, maximised every aspect of his talent to the full and his racecraft was in my opinion up there with Prost’s as the best of all time. He would be an excellent driver to learn from.

Bigger engines and smaller wings! Definitely would decrease the amount of aero grip available if I had my way.

KERS has been a good innovation, and they should continue looking at renewable technologies. Ground affects looks a no go, but if I were in charge DRS would be banished forever!

Suzuka. Technically demanding, super fast and the amount of history about the place due to title deciders make it a special circuit. Silverstone in its old configuration second.

Can I say Lotus in their heyday? I know they’re on the grid now but its not the same. Perfect racing philosophy.

1) 130R – Suzuka. It’s still amazing although they can now take it flat.

2) Maggots/Becketts complex – Silverstone. Watching cars go through there in full flight must be unbelievable, incredible direction change.

3) Tamburello – Imola. Must have been absolutely terrifying in the 80’s and 90’s with less grip. Proper corner.

1980’s I think. Cars were ridiculously powerful, less aero grip and incredibly deep field of talented drivers. Like to think I could hold my own!

Michael Schumacher vs Ayrton Senna. Senna’s era was ending as Schumacher’s was starting so I’m having this on a technicality. Personally I think Jim Clark is the greatest driver of all time but this would be the greatest matchup. As team manager I would stipulate no team orders and equal machinery for both, wonder how Michael would react against such a fast teammate. And whether Michael would push Senna as much as Prost did.

Lewis Hamilton. Give him a good car on a par with the others in the field and he is the best driver out there in my opinion (over Vettel.) He’s also not frightened of a competitive teammate like Alonso is so the team could compete for the WCC.

I want Imola back. Or old school Hockenheim before they sanitised it into its current pale imitation.

Ayrton Senna

Niki Lauda

Jackie Stewart

James Hunt

JPS Lotus ’79 from 1978.

Adrian Newey.

No idea, not really the partying type. Probably just hit the local Wetherspoons and take it from there!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Dan Thorn
    Participant

Vienna. I love the architecture and the wintery air of romance the place has.

Damon Hill, as I reckon he’d be the easiest to beat.

Bigger engines V10’s and V12’s, maybe even V16’s. The engine is the most important part of the car to me – after all, it is called motorsport and as impressive as the current engines are, they aren’t exciting.

More efficient aerodynamics. All the downforce with none of the wake…which I guess is ground effect!

Monza. I’d never tire of it.

Alfa Romeo of course! For the same reasons as Steph gave. All of the good stuff about Ferrari but far less of the negatives!

Parabolica and Stowe are both brilliant corners – down a couple of gears, fling the car in and hope it sticks. I’d also have Tarzanbocht from the Zandvoort circuit, as it’s probably one of the best overtaking cornere there’s ever been.

The 1970’s. Lots of innovation, crazy looking cars, big fat tyres, and the last era featuring some of the proper ‘widowmaker’ tracks.

Taki Inoue and Yuji Ide. With Yakety Sax playing in the background.

Fernando Alonso. He can do it all on the track, he can motivate and lead a team and he’s a generally all round intelligent bloke.

Imola. I miss it. Even though it’ full of chicane’s, they’re challenging chicanes, and Acqua Minerale is a wonderful corner.

Murray Walker, Graham Hill, Fernando Alonso and Jarno Trulli.

Alfa Romeo 159. Front Engine, rear wheel drive, skinny tyres, no aero, just loads of power and your own talent to master.

A wine and cheese cellar

I’d go to a great little pub down in Cornwall with my Dad and sit there sampling ales and ciders all afternoon before going home to my Mum’s roast dinner.

Girts
    Participant

Munich. It’s my favourite city in the world, it has a good mix of Bavarian culture and pop culture; it’s old and modern at the same time. Both English Garden and the Old Town would be great places.

Kimi Raikkonen. I’m not a fan of him but I think that our characters would fit together.

Don’t know about the innovations but I would like to make cars more fragile, I mean, to have a higher chance of seeing them retiring from races because of technical problems. I believe this would make the races more exciting and give backmarkers more chances to finish in high places.

I would like to get rid of DRS and maybe some more button-related things and change the look of the cars so that they look more beautiful.

Most probably Spa.

My choice would be some cool backmarkers like Minardi; if possible, then in the 2001 & 2002 seasons together with Alex Yoong. I think we would have had terribly bad results and lots of fun.

Eau Rouge because it is simply great. Singapore Sling because it is very tricky. Chicane (the corner right after the tunnel in Monaco) because it is probably the first one that would come to my mind if I was asked to name just one corner in F1 (don’t know why).

1990s, that was the time when I started watching F1 and I have very nice memories from that time.

I think a rivalry between Mika Hakkinen and Ayrton Senna would be interesting to watch as they have/had very different personalities.

Heikki Kovalainen. I really believe he is capable of winning world championships and it would be great to prove the world that even the really nice guys can win.

Some oval in the United States. See Keith’s arguments here.

Alex Yoong, Heikki Kovalainen, Giancarlo Fisichella and Joe Saward.

Does Minardi PS01B with no power steering count as legendary? If not, then my choice would probably fall on Williams FW14 as it was a superior car from the ‘good old times’.

A cosy cafe maybe.

Either to Cafe Luitpold in Munich or to my mum’s kitchen. I would let my mum choose the meal as she has great taste.

GeeMac
    Participant

Johannesburg. Because it’s my home town and because you can’t have a world championship that doesn’t include a race in Africa.

Mika Hakkinen. He seems like the perfect mix of a great racing driver against whom you could gauge your own skill and a great guy with whom you would have a good working relationship.

Exotic materials in engines. F1 is about pushing the envolope.

A mind control device that prevents Vettel from raising his index finger after taking pole or a race win.

Spa. Cliched, but it’s awesome.

Hesketh, F1 needs odd balls on the grid!

Pouhon, Becketts and the (pre Tilke) 130R.

1990s. It’s the decade that made me fall in love with the sport!

Senna and Nouvolari. I think they are similar characters who would have some epic battles!

Lewis Hamilton.

Kyalami. See my answer to the first question!

James Hunt, Kimi Raikkonen, Johnnie Walker and a yacht.

McLaren MP4-8. Everyone goes on about the MP4-4, but the MP4-8 is my favorite McLaren, and therefore my favorite F1 car. It’s just beautiful.

A shisha room. :)

I’d have a braai at my folks house. :)

Kingshark
    Participant

I’d love to see a race in either London or a night race in Paris, both would look awesome.

Either Ayrton Senna or Alain Prost.

Turbocharging ftw!

Either Turbo engines or ground effects.

The old Nurburgring.

I’d love to drive for either Arrows or Jordan.

Pre-2003 130R, Blanchimont and Turn 8.

The early 1980’s.

Gilles Villeneuve vs Ayrton Senna.

Fernando Alonso.

The old A1-Ring!

Jackie Stewart, Keke Rosberg, Juan Montoya, and Mika Hakkinen.

The 1988 Mclaren.

A zero-gravity chamber!

Go to a 5-star Italian restaurant and eat some pizza!

91jb12
    Participant

A) Boston (UK) because its my home town and I made a track for rfactor on there!

A) Schumacher because he’s the best. And I get to see close up just what made him so good

A) Turbos. I want more power, back to old days of 1400bhp qualy engines! Mega!

A) Flat bottomed cars. Spark showers and amazing mechanical grip.

A) Monaco. Beautiul place, ultimate drivers challenge.

A) Life, because they were so shite and I want to see how bad they’d look today!

A) Esses at Suzuka, Eau Rouge/Raidillon section and the first sector of Silverstone (Copse to Stowe)

A) 80s. Awesome racks, fast cars and high cornering speeds. Also 1400bhp for qualy sounds nice!

A) Fangio v Senna I never saw any of them live. and they were probably the 2 fastest men ever

A) Seb Vettel because he’s a legend :)

A) Watkins Glen. One of Americas great tracks.

A) Vettel, Schumacher (my 2 idols since i got into F1), Murray Walker and Sir Jackie Stewart (they both know a thing or two) That would be an interesting dinner.

A) F2004, the fastest F1 car of all time. It even has TC i think so maybe I could have a chance of keeping it in a straight line!

A) Simulator hooked to a big screen. I like computer games and that would be good fun.

A) KFC- 3 piece chicken meal or Fish/Chips from Tates in Boston! Mega chippy!

James Brickles
    Participant

Blackpool under illuminations – The beach, the lights, the tower, I reckon it would look beautiful

Kimi Raikkonen – Just shut up and drive – That’s what I love about him

V10 engines or the Ferrari V12 from 1995 – The noise those engines made were just pure sex.

Difficult to think of own innovations ;) Actually, would love it if someone invented a way to race in standing water, thicker treaded tyres and a way to see past the spray… that way, we wouldn’t have situations of fannying about behind the safety car for umpteen laps.

Bathurst – Australia. Spectacular scenery and spectacular circuit

Brabham – Legendary team

Eau Rouge (Spa) – No matter how much tarmac run off they use there, it will always look awesome

Peraltada (Mexico City) – You need massive balls to tackle that corner, plus Mansell and Berger’s battle in 1990 – just brilliant to watch

Corkscrew (Laguna Seca) – Not all slow corners are boring, and this slow corner is particularly challenging.

1960 – Pure mechanical grip

Jim Clark and Ayrton Senna – It really would’ve been interesting to find out which of these two were the fastest.

Vitaly Petrov – He seems like a top bloke ;)

I’d pick the old Osterreichring – Such a fast circuit, you don’t see many of those any nowadays

Murray Walker, James Hunt, Rubens Barrichello and Damon Hill

Either the 1985 Lotus or the 2005 McLaren. BOTH POWER MONSTERS

Pool and/or Snooker table – I doubt any motorhomes have these.

My local Frankie and Bennies – BBQ Chicken pizza and banoffee sundae

Nic Morley
    Participant

Somewhere in Tokyo. I think that would be pretty cool.

Mika Hakkinen. Something about him that I like.

V10’s. Get rid of KERS.

Bigger, louder and more powerful engines. Better looking front and rear wings.

Mount Panorama at Bathurst. It’s not in F1 and never has been but I have raced there on games such as Race Driver Grid and others. It’s a great track to drive around. I suppose I could be called biased because it’s Australian… but really I love the track. I also really enjoyed Spa and the Nurburgring F1 track.

Brabham.

Bianchimont at Spa, the Esses at Bathurst, Michelin curve at Nurburgring.

Late 80’s, early 90’s. Perhaps even the 60’s.

Jack Brabham and Alain Prost.

There’s alot. Personally, as in who I would rather; defiently Mark Webber. However I think I would pick Fernando Alonso.

Bathurst!!! Make it the new Aussie Grand Prix. It has real character. Anyone who hasn’t seen a lap, race there need to have a look. The esses going steep down the mountain are amazing.

Mark Webber, Mika Hakkinen, Gilles Villneuve, Peter Brock.

The 1950 Alfa Romeo. Yep.

A…. zero gravity chamber. I think that would be awesome.

Proberly any resteraunt that looks good.

raymondu999
    Participant

I reckon I’d choose Hong Kong. I think that would be a fantastic venue.

Does Vettel count?

Ground effect. Definitely. Insane grip; insanely efficient downforce (low drag for high downforce) and not much in terms of dirty wake

A proper place for CVTs in F1; The flat torque curve provided will mean that engines are infinitely drivable; and we’ll see more driver skill become a defining factor in the cars

Suzuka.Definitely; though I’d like to give a shout out to Nurburgring as my 2nd choice though.

Brabham.

Suzuka Dengners; Pouhon, and Suzuka Esses

This era, actually!

I’d love to see Clark against Senna

Vettel

Imola

Vettel, Button, Hakkinen, Mattias Ekstrom

F2002 Ferrari

Simulator!

Kyubei sushi in Tokyo – absolutely fantastic sushi

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Oooh, that’s a hard one. I’d probably go for Moscow, Pretoria or Buenos Aires. I think Russia, South Africa and South America are all important places for Formula 1 to operate in.

I can’t decide between Mika Hakkinen and Juan Manuel Fangio. Hakkinen was the only man Michael Schumacher was ever itnimidated by, so he had to be doing something right. And I’d take Fangio because he did everything Senna and Prost and Schumacher did … three decades earlier.

I wouldn’t add an innovation, I’d take one away: aerodynamics. I’d seriously re-write the regulations so that there would be as little aerodynamic grip as possible.

I’d like to see a broadcast system where the viewer could choose which camera angles they view. There are over 200 cameras at a Grand Prix weekend, and we only use one of them at any given time.

I’d also like to see KERS and the DRS used strategically. For example, if a driver does not use his KERS on one lap, then he gets a double charge on the next. Or, if he is within one second of the car in front at the start of a new lap, he gets use of the DRS for the rest of the lap.

Interlagos. Both the current and original versions. It’s an absolutely fantastic circuit, especially once you get a rhythm going.

Andrea Moda. For the lulz.

1) Decida do Lago at Interlagos. It’s a high-speed double-apex bend where you have to get the braking just right; you can’t take the corner at full speed, so if you slow down too much, you’ll lose time.

2) Tabac at Monaco. It’s fast, it’s narrow and there is absolutely no room for error. And just as you get to the exit, you need to set yourself up for the first half of the chicane.

3) Turns 7-10 in Korea. Similarly fast and flowing, but then if drops you into a tightish right. The braking zone is downhill, so you really need to concentrate to get it right every time.

Q: You can travel back in time and compete in any decade of Formula One racing, from the 1950s to the 1990s. Which decade would you choose and why?</strong

Probably the 1980s, when everything just got sillier and sillier by the season. 1986 – my birth year – was a highlight.

Hakkinen and Fangio, for the same reasons I gave above.

Jenson Button. I think he’s one of the smartest – if not the smartest – drivers on the grid.

The old Interlagos.

Danica Patrick, Simona de Silvestro, Ana Beatriz and Pippa Mann.

This one’s easy: the Lotus 49C, hands down.

Q-Branch from the Bond films.

I have absolutely no idea.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.