F1

Friends or Foes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Funkyf1
    Participant

After watching the Thursday press conference, I noticed something that never occurred to me before. There might actually be people in the paddock that Mark Webber doesn’t Like! Although he was running late, he made time to shake hands with all the drivers except Sergio Pérez? Sergio himself didn’t look to happy with Mark, starring at him with a look off disgust after the lack of acknowledgment. Is there something I’ve missed, a beef between these 2? I know of a few strained relationships amongst drivers, Lewis and Felipe comes to mind, Mark and Seb I believe have a love hate relationship, that’s a inter team battle, but I thought the field generally got along. What about the rest of the field? I for one don’t think Nico and Michael see eye to eye, Jenson and Lewis seem to have a more professional relationship, Fernado is always sticking up for Massa, but who wouldn’t, it’s not like he’s in competition with him. Ricciardo and Vergne seem to follow the sisters teams ethics “I’m don’t really like you” but “let’s keep it diplomatic”. Kimi doesn’t care, Grosjean seems like a nice bloke, Senna and Maldonado are probably also in competition with each other, the rest we don’t really too much about. Does everyone get along or the paddock one big bitchy backstabbing circus???

James_mc
    Participant

I know that drivers of eras in the pas where it was much more dangerous had a strong sense of camaraderie – and perhaps this enhanced the respect they had for one another on-track.

I think it has been said before that Hamilton and Alonso respect each other greatly and both want to knock Vettel off his perch as they both believe that they are the best two drivers in the paddock.

Funkyf1
    Participant

I totally agree with the camaraderie comment. Yet many would say Hamilton and Alonso are enemies or more so rivals from there time at Mclaren. Is there enough water under the bridge now?

necrodethmortem
    Participant

My tin-foil-hatted-self would say it’s because they’re both fighting for a spot at Ferrari.

carlos sousa
    Participant

I’d like to share my opinion on what’s happening with J.Button. The fact that he opened his mouth to soon earlier this season on the coments of ” not been worried or scared of F.Alonso”, only showed his arrogance and poor inteligence. (Mr Button remember your dirty win in Montreal 2011) It really pissed me off last season when he bumped Alonso off track and finished with a lucky 25 points to boost his moral, to thick in glory to apoligize. Alonso showed his inteligence keeping that anger to himself even though he had all the right to confront Button with that incident. The fact is Button BROKE what would now be a 12+18 consecutive race finishes within the points. Button is on 13th rank with 12 consecutive finishes within points, but check out where Alonso sit’s on 4, 5, & 6.http://www.statsf1.com/es/statistiques/pilote/point/consecutif.aspx# . Don’t be surprised if Schumacher and Vettel are soon found below on the ranking, since Alonso is on an active streak . L.Hamilton on rank 141 is on 6 and the next closest active. More than these STATS, I notice Hamilton to be the only F1 pilot gaining ground on Alonso on the Psychological competitive aspect. Whereas Button is going backwards. M.Whitmarsh critizing ferrari Boss?s recently for psycological miss treatment towards there nº2 pilot F.Massa, should’ve also kept his mouth shut and focus on the objective of winning, the way ferrari do. “What You Sow, You Reap”

DamionShadows
    Participant

Lol, how was his win at Montreal dirty?

Funkyf1
    Participant

@carlos sousa I’m tipping you’re an Alonso Fan?
    This topic has gone way off line, it was supposed to be about which drivers actually get along with each other, therefore could actually stand partnering each other in a team. Are Sergio and Mark in talks with Ferrari therefore creating tension?

raymondu999
    Participant

@necrodethmortem @funkyf1 I would surmise it’s Vettel. Nothing unites bitter foes better than a common enemy

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The fact that he opened his mouth to soon earlier this season on the coments of ” not been worried or scared of F.Alonso”, only showed his arrogance and poor inteligence.

It surprises me that, for such an obvious Alonso fan, you are unaware that Alonso will punish anyone mercilessly if he thinks they’re afraid of him or worried about his presence. Alonso is a very cerebral driver, and will take any advatnage he can get. If he thinks a driver is afraid of him, he will intimidate that driver; if he thinks a driver is worried about him, Alonso will lurk until that driver slips up.

So when Button says he is not afraid of or worried by Alonso, it’s not arrogance. It’s Button’s way of making himself immune to Alonso’s psychological tricks.

Lol, how was his win at Montreal dirty?

Probably because – according to carlos sousa – Button deliberately pushed Alonso off the circuit.

raymondu999
    Participant

Yes. I agree with PM. Button and Alonso are both political masters and master of the off-track gamesmanship of F1. I think on track Button would have his moustache as well as his behind doubly handed to him by Alonso, but that’s a different story.

Funkyf1
    Participant

So Alonso and Button aren’t buddies? Webber seems to get along with both of them well. Psychology is a big part of any competition and all drivers play on each others minds, but some are strong enough to put the games behind them and have genuine friendships. I believe experience and age contributes to this, hence why Webber seems to be friends with most drivers in the field.

raymondu999
    Participant

I wouldn’t quite say Webber is friends with “most drivers.” Webber is friends with Alonso, Button though. I believe that is quite genuine. Alonso with Button, I don’t think so. Not that they hate each other – but they’re not close, either.

There are lots of buddies in the paddock. Eg. Raikkonen and Vettel, Rosberg and Hamilton, I believe Grosjean and Vergne too – though both of them are somewhat in a friendly rivalry situation, both out to prove that they’re the next big French thing.

I wouldn’t say that any drivers “hate” one another. Slightly wary and guarded to other drivers, maybe. But not “hate” in that they would put out contracts on other drivers’ heads, anyways.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I think the closest we’ve come to drivers openly disliking one another was last year with Massa and Hamilton.

carlos sousa
    Participant

Actualy I’m a F1 FANATIC thats why I registered here, and will obviously defend against anti-Alonso’s, my opinion. I see a talented sportsman, the most consistent, focused on his objective, the Captain of his team. Alonso is the pilot that does most “homework” physicaly, mentaly, and tecnicaly. The fact that he has no time for girlfriend’s say’s a lot? I don’t think he punishes mercilessly (PM) I do believe he compete’s at the greatest level including physcolocicaly in an elite catogary. On Button’s dirty win (Montreal 2011) well it’s my opinion since I believe it wasn’t really a well deserved win. That Button “deliberatly” pushed Alonso off circuit????(Not the words I used).It was a race incident where Alonso was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and therefore made Button’s position to be the right place at the right time .Basicly misfortune for one and great fortune for the other. But of all the Pilots, Alonso”best knows” this is part of the game and to dispute these matters will get you nowhere. Thats the job of the maFIA.Whereas if Button on the other hand had taken a moment away from his time of glory to apoligise to Alonso, just maybe things could be going very difirently for him now. A perfect example is Hamillton, last season involved in a number of disputes, with other pilots and even the media, but he showed face and courage, swollowed his pride and tried to reconciliate with Massa. (FunkyF1)Sorry for drifting off the topic “Friends or Foes” But I’ll be getting to it soon first lets get rid of the “Foes”

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Actualy I’m a F1 FANATIC thats why I registered here, and will obviously defend against anti-Alonso’s, my opinion.

That doesn’t mean you make up stuff about other drivers that is clearly untrue, like claiming Button is arrogant simply because he’s not afraid of Alonso.

I don’t think he punishes mercilessly (PM) I do believe he compete’s at the greatest level including physcolocicaly in an elite catogary.

That’s what I mean by “punishing mercilessly” – the psychological elite. Alonso is the kind of driver who will simply hold station behind another driver for lap after lap, always threatening, but never trying anything … right up until the driver he is following makes the slightest mistakes, and Alonso will pounce. Although strangely enough, Vitaly Petrov of all drivers seems to be completely immune to it; Alonso pressured him in Turkey and Abu Dhabi 2010 and Australia 2011 and Petrov didn’t give him so much as an inch.

On Button’s dirty win (Montreal 2011) well it’s my opinion since I believe it wasn’t really a well deserved win.

How was it undeserved? The man came back from four pit stops, a drive-through penalty and last on the road to win the race.

That Button “deliberatly” pushed Alonso off circuit????(Not the words I used).

It was implied. You claim Button’s win was “dirty”, with no explanation given. You have criticised him for his behaviour towards Alonso. In the race in question, Button and Alonso came together and Alonso retired. Can you see how I might have made the connection between these three events?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.