• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 9 hours, 9 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Friends or Foes?

This topic contains 59 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Funkyf1 Funkyf1 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I think unless drivers get in a fight on the camera or repeatedly make negative remarks about a fellow driver (unlikely given this PR age) then it’s hard to know which drivers really don’t get along. I think most rivalries and friendships are probably hyped up by the media and fans (including myself) who want a story. It’s a hugely competitive sport and drivers will spend most of their time with their teams -whether travelling, testing, in the motor homes, in debriefings or in the pit lane- so I doubt how much time they have for other drivers. There are probably those who get on well and within the little bubble that is F1 would probably be classed as “friends” but actually don’t spend as much time together as what the average Joe and his best mate would do.
    Take Hamilton and Sutil for example; they seemed like good friends but Hamilton didn’t really give Sutil the support he wanted when his career burst into flames, or how Kimi and Massa seemed to get along but Massa commented that Kimi didn’t even send him a card after his accident, or how Rubens and JB seemed like good friends but Rubens was clearly upset at Brawn once or twice and then you never saw him and JB on camera together again once they both left Brawn. My point is that the competition is always going to come first. I imagine plenty of drivers do get along as has already been listed and pointed out but they probably aren’t together that much for them all to either me best mates or arch rivals. If I was a driver I’d definitely be a little hostile towards Pastor though esp if he ever came near my car…

Oh and Kimi is also supposed to get along with Heikki iirc but that was back in 08/09.

Profile photo of Estesark
    Estesark
    Participant

@Steph, good post. It’s nice to see drivers getting along but I’m sure there are not as many real friendships in the paddock as people like to believe.

Regarding your last sentence: I follow F1 news in Finnish as well as English and I’ve never really heard anything about Kimi and Heikki being particularly close. They speak the same language but they have pretty contrasting personalities.

Profile photo of celeste
    celeste
    Participant

@matt90
    awwwwww you just broke my illusion of the both of them jumping from a plane while yelling “cowabunga”

@raymundo999 I have never heard that Webber- Rosberg were close…

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

Well if I’m right, then Schumacher still does that, even if it is without Vettel.

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

The last time two F1 drivers were legitimately to a point of clearly disliking each other were Hamilton and Massa last year, it looks like they’ve put their issues behind though. Before that, back in the early to mid 2000’s, I remember that Schumacher and Montoya strongly disliked each other too.

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

I believe Webber and Vettel don’t like each other, they just keep the peace for the teams sake.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I haven’t really seen anything from Vettel and Webber to suggest they don’t get along. I think any element of that relationship has been blown out of proportion by fans reacting violently to the team’s favouritism.

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

Body language! A picture tells a 1000 words!

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Which could easily be a product of their current mood.

If things are as bad as your posts imply, why would Webber continue to stay at Red Bull?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I think it’s clear that there was some friction between Vettel and Webber in the past, although probably not to the extent some people would like to believe. I also think any lingering problems they might have are probably not so different than they would be between any two teammates in a comparable situation. As Vettel has said, when it comes to the car, they have productive and intense conversations; anything else, it’s like they live in different worlds. But no, I personally don’t get the impression there’s an unusual amount of animosity.

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

If I were/do look at the situation at RedBull and I’m not talking about public deception, I believe that there is no love lost. As a person if someone 10+ yrs my junior implied to the world (turkey incident) that I was stupid/mentally ill, what ever you my call it, I would be offended and this is just one example of Vettel undermining Webber. Although I now believe Vettel has matured, much like I believe Hamilton has, as we have all experience in life, egotistic outbursts are often regretted. Some damaged cannot be reversed. A great example would be Msc and Rubens, despite the differences in there careers as team mates they still managed to maintain a civilized relationship. However Michael nearly driving Rubens into the wall ended all of that.

Profile photo of Enigma
    Enigma
    Participant

I’m pretty sure Mark is clever enough to know that Vettel’s gestures were in the heat of the moment – Sebastian did lose a win, or at least a good chance of it, with that.

They seemed to get along very well in 2009. It’s obviously gone downhill, they’re not friends, but I don’t think they have any problems. And yeah, as has been said before, Webber wouldn’t stay at the team if he felt something was wrong. Remember Silverstone 2010? I’m pretty sure it proved he would rather leave formula one than be a number two driver.

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

Yeah. Mark is old and mature enough to understand that. I’m sure he has also had his own regrets of saying things in the heat of the moment.

Profile photo of Younger Hamii
    Younger Hamii
    Participant

Could references to drivers via nicknames play a part in a driver’s relationship with another?

@raymondu999 Lewis & Heikki seems as a very interesting one as well, I remember after Heikki left McLaren, Lewis called him & I quote ‘one of the nicest people he’s ever met’ & since then they seem to spend a reasonable amount of time perhaps catching up with one another or genuinely giving each other close company (I’ve seen several photos over the three seasons, including this one).

Mark & Nico is another, Mark referring to him as ‘Britney’ is a clear sign of a good relationship as team-mates retained, same story with JB & Seb, there was an interesting comparison between how JB & Lewis’ interacts with Seb by someone, again it involves references to a particular person with JB referring to SV as ‘Seb’ whilst Lewis refers to SV simply by his forename (Sebastian).

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

Does Maldonado have any buddies?? How about Perez? Do you think it’s hard to crack it in the social circle of F1?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.