• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 15 hours, 24 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Fuel usage chart idea

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Atticus Atticus 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Atticus
    Atticus
    Participant

I just wonder seeing the new FOM graphics during the Malaysian GP about the % of fuel used by drivers, if that data could somehow be compiled to an offical data release by the FIA (per lap, for example), so that we could have graphs on the fuel usage to better illustrate fuel strategy during the races.

Thumbs up or down?

Also, what do you think is the best way to approach either FIA or FOM with the idea?

Profile photo of Kyle Land
    Kyle Land
    Participant

I think it would definitely be an interesting stat for them to use. It would surely benefit fans by giving them a greater insight into the race. At the end of the season, it would be cool to see how fuel usage affected a driver in the long run.

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Definitely.. but I was wondering if there was something wrong with teams underusing all the fuel they had available (e.g. Williams). What is the answer? Dodgy fuel sensor? Or did they run less than the full 100kg of fuel?

Profile photo of GeeMac
    GeeMac
    Participant

I was wondering that too @fastiesty. Presumably they just decided to not burn all the fuel they had in the tank, though query how accurate FOM’s data really was.

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

I thought they admitted to underfuelling their cars for this race? But that aside, am I the only one who isn’t really bothered by this new information on-screen? I somewhat like the idea of the mystery of who’s more fuel efficient let alone it giving information to rival teams.

Profile photo of Atticus
    Atticus
    Participant

I don’t know, I like the idea of transparency and giving as much information to the audience as possible for them to really understand what’s going on.

I really like how Pirelli approached tyre strategy, for example. They sticked to identifying the four compounds and provide extensive data on current tyre usage and history (albeit now via a paid service) and before and after the race, strategy as well.

It very well could be that the tyre situation is too complicated and that’s a turn-off for the viewers, but I reckon it’d be much more complicated to follow and thus an even bigger turn-off if it not were for the great degree of transparency Pirelli provides.

So I welcome the new graphics and support all aims to extend data supply even more.

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@gfreeman That sounds like the most likely explanation. It fits with Massa not being able to fight with the cars infront (or he’d run out of fuel), after taking only one shot to pass both McLarens (and getting close both times).

Arguably Williams showed more pace than McLaren here, but ended up behind them from starting further back on the grid and not having the chances to pass them. But I noticed their car was running hot early on, as Massa was pulling out of the draft from way back (which would burn more fuel as well, but give more cool air to the engine).

This information is now critical, for reasons Paddy Lowe stated: F1 is now an efficiency formula. Now, being faster also uses less fuel and thus you can carry less, which makes you faster from carrying less weight….. etc. In the past, you could have a faster car but you would also have to burn through more fuel to be faster, which meant carrying more weight, which slowed you down some…

Profile photo of Steven
    Steven
    Participant

@gfreeman I did like the fuel percentages, but it’s not all that useful unless it’s a direct percentage of the fuel actually put in the car, instead of a percentage of 100kg. I thought it was cool to see during the race that Hamilton had used less fuel than others at the front, so if needed, he had the fuel available to push if Rosberg or Vettel had brought the chase to him.

However, it’s a lot less useful if it says something like Massa – 80% used but doesn’t take into account he may have only been using 90% of the available fuel capacity (so that he’s not dragging around fuel that wouldn’t be used anyway).

I just read this and I’m not sure if it’s coherent. It’s been a long day.

Ultimately, I think the more data available to the viewer, the better. It’d be cool to see if during a certain stint if Driver A has their fuel right up to the 100kg/hr limit while Driver B is saving at 90% of the limit, etc. It can give us a better idea if a driver is closing in on pure pace or if it’s due to wildly different fuel strategies.

Profile photo of sato113
    sato113
    Participant

yeah that’s a great idea! but asking the FIA for such detail is like talking to a brick wall. I found it fascinating to see how the Williams were saving fuel most of the race.

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

@steevkay Ah, I hadn’t realised that it was a percentage of 100kg, thought it was that of whatever they’d initially put in the car hence I was dubious about it.

On second thoughts, although I stand by what I said in terms of the mystery between the teams appealing to me, it is good to see this info for curiosity’s sake. To be honest, I much prefer the issues with fuel instead of the tyres; at least the teams have control over this (to some extent – considering differing strategies, engines, setups, etc.) so at least there is potential for some drivers to really push without the tyres dropping off immediately.

Back to the original post, I think it’s a good idea (like the qualifying weights before refuelling was banned) however, I doubt many teams (if at all) would be on board with the idea.

Profile photo of Atticus
    Atticus
    Participant

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Maybe someone with influence over the idea already saw this topic, I don’t know.

I just hope it gets introduced.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.