F1

Funny Corner Names

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    SteveMovieVoice
    Participant

I was watching a YouTube video at Snetterton and was reminded of the unusualy named ‘Bomb hole’ corner. Apparently the name comes from the bikers after they though it was a really annoying corner, so called it the ‘Bum hole’. Obviously over time it has changed but it got me thinking, what other tracks are out there with funny corner names?

Ones I can think of are the Bomb Hole at Snetterton and Yellow pages at Kylami. Can you think of any more?

Ned Flanders
    Participant

There’s a corner at Outlton Park called Knickerbrook: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oulton_Park#Knickerbrook_corner

Junção- the corner where Hamilton infamously passed Glock in 2008- sounds a little bit like ‘young cow’ when you say it! Does that count?!

Pouhon at Spa (tee hee)

There’s a corner at the A1 Ring called ‘Power Horse’!

I’ve never liked the name of the corner ‘Maggots’ at Silverstone. Spoon Curve is also pretty silly.

matt88
    Participant

the old Bus Stop was a historic corner, but its name – when i was a child – sounded very little F1. the terrible Tamburello, instead, as a quite innocent and funny meaning in Italian, it literally means ‘little drum’.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Haha I was going to mention Tamburello because it sounds like the instrument ‘tamberine’! Presumably they both have Latin origins or something

NickV

Piff Paff at Rockingham is quite funny as is Curva Dry Sack at Jerez

SoerenKaae
    Participant

On Padborg Park (A small track in Denmark) there is a corner called “Big Mac”.

Though its not named after the burger but after Jan Magnussen.

Hare
    Participant

I love there to be a naughty corner somewhere… Alonso and Vettel go in to the Naughty Corner 52 times a race. Suits me fine :)

Guilherme

Junção- the corner where Hamilton infamously passed Glock in 2008- sounds a little bit like ‘young cow’ when you say it! Does that count?!

Actually, when I was watching a video with BBC comentary, I couldn’t stop laughing at the way Brundle pronounced the corner name as “Young Cow”, as you described. It couldn’t have been more wrong! The “J” sounds more like in “Jonas” and the “ç” actually sounds like the ‘s’ in “sun” – try to speak it like that way (‘Joonsão’) and you’ll see it sounds nothing like “young cow” =P

I agree that Maggots is not a really good name for a corner. Does anyone knows why it was named that way?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Junção’s J is like Z in “azure”. It’s does not mean Y like in Finnish for instance.

By the way, Spoon corner is awesome, but Maggots is indeed terrible.

The only corner names I don’t like are Turn 1, Turn 2, Turn 3…

Kudos to Singapore for being about the only recent track to bother giving their corners proper names, and now just ones paid for by sponsors.

sbl on tour
    Participant

on the outside of all these corners are the infamous…. boondocks, another brundleism I believe!

Icthyes
    Participant

Spoon Curve is my favourite corner name in F1! I also found Bus Stop confusing as a child…

For some reason I always thought Lesmo was a funny name.

Bleu
    Participant

I too hate corners just numbered. Especially because with possible track changes. OK, this didn’t happen but if driver had commented his Bahrain experience like this:

2009: “I crashed in turn 10”

2010: “I crashed in turn 18”

How many would understand that it was actually the same corner?

Also, some of the tracks have about every change of direction as a corner (Valencia), while Montreal has that kink just after the start, kink before the hairpin where Kubica crashed and some kinks on the long straight unnumbered. Also, you could argue that Istanbul turn 8 would actually be turns 8, 9, 10 and 11.

matt88
    Participant

“Haha I was going to mention Tamburello because it sounds like the instrument ‘tamberine’! Presumably they both have Latin origins or something.”

Yeah, you’re right. ‘Tamburello’ and ‘tambourine’ are the same instrument.

At Mugello the two most difficult corners are the “Arrabbiata 1” and “Arrabbiata 2”, where “arrabbiata” means “angry”(referred to a woman).

TommyB
    Participant

Imola – Tosa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.