F1

"Rush" F1 movie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    budchekov
    Participant
    damonsmedley
    Participant

We don’t even get a hint as to what that link might be? Sorry, not clicking it! ;)

Dane.
    Participant

Sounds good.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Perhaps a few more specifics in the thread title and opening post would be appropriate? I saw the title of “FYI” and a link talking about Ron Howard’s connection to The Dark Tower and my instant reaction was “What on earth does this have to do with Formula 1?”. I’ve seen stuff like this posted on other forums, and it’s usually run by commercial spambots. I’m sure you don’t want people thinking that about you.

Anyway, as for the content of the story, I find it really quite funny just how many connections all of this has to the James Bond films. Peter Morgan was originally drafted in to write Bond 23, but left the project without explanation. He’s now turned up to write The Dark Tower. At the same time, Javier Bardem was said to be very interested in a role in Bond 23 provided the script was interesting. But then he was cast in The Dark Tower; now that Ron Howard is looking at a Hunt-Lauda film, that could free him up for it.

A Hunt-Lauda film would be interesting. And in Morgan’s hands, I think it would be an actual film, unlike Stallone’s Drivel (which even he regretted making).

DavidS
    Participant

The best movies have an element of truth in them because it keeps the plot from becoming ridiculously unrealistic, a la “Drivel.”

One of the problems with Driven (I’ll only touch on this one, because it would be too exhausting to state them all) is that it was set in the same time period as the movie was released. If you used real people as the basis, you couldn’t have a conclusion to the movie as the story is incomplete at the time. So you have to make up fictional characters that only bear a passing resemblance to racing drivers, so there’s little chance for the audience to connect.

This movie has the potential to be quite powerful. That season, starting with the building rivalry between Hunt and Lauda, that crash, his recovery (with bits interspersed of Hunt closing the gap) and comeback and the decision to withdraw from the Japanese GP and hand the championship to Hunt. The movie could end with Lauda pulling out of the pits at the first race of 1977 and fading to black saying “Niki Lauda went on to win the World Championship in 1977 and 1984.”

The nostalgia value and the details could be a highlight as well. Seeing and hearing the cars (albeit reproductions or CGI) racing around all those old tracks would be epic. A look into the culture in the pits of the time also be a plus, as well as showing James Hunt’s hedonistic lifestyle.

Ron Howard and Peter Morgan are good at the whole historical thing, Apollo 13, The Queen, Frost/Nixon are all great. I hope this turns out to be good.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The movie could end with Lauda pulling out of the pits at the first race of 1977 and fading to black saying “Niki Lauda went on to win the World Championship in 1977 and 1984.”

The first rule of storytelling is that it’s better to show rather than tell. Lauda’s recovery from his accident to his championship demands that the championship victory be shown because that’s what really defined him as a person. Otherwise, there’s no pay-off. It would be like showing the Senna film and ending it before May 1, 1994, and then including a footnote at the end of the film saying that he died racing.

TommyB
    Participant

Interesting. But please put relevant subjects from now on.

Asanator
    Participant

Ummmm…..sorry but how is the making of an F1 movie based on an historical championship battle not relevant to an F1 forum?

After all of the Senna movie hype and posts that we have seen on here surely this is just as relevant!

TommyB
    Participant

It’s not irrelevant. It just needed a better title :P

damonsmedley
    Participant

Now that it has a different title, my first post looks ridiculous!

Asanator
    Participant

oops, sorry, I missed the word ‘subjects’ in your comment Tommy! ;)

budchekov
    Participant

Hi folks,

Sorry about the lack of title, my bad, I was on the run, hadn’t seen the story elsewhere and wanted to share with fellow Fanatics.

@Last race I attended across the pond was the Race Of Champions at Brands Hatch….James won.

S.J.M
    Participant

I was wondering what a Prog-rock Band (Rush) had to do with F1 when i saw the title ;)

Interesting to see a film on the ’76 season. Wasnt there a rumour of people wanting to make a Gilles Villeneuve bio ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hm..good or bad, I’m pretty excited to check it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.