F1

Charles Pic racing for Virgin (Marussia) in 2012?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    F1abw
    Participant

This comes from the BBC F1 rumour mill via the French website L’Equipe so can’t be too sure of the validity:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9635057.stm

Would this leave D’Amrbosio out of a drive as I think Glock still has a contract for 2012?

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Considering his name is actually Charles Pic.. this article seems very iffy to me. There have been a lot of rumours regarding Pic replacing d’Ambrosio, but as ever in F1, i think we need to wait until practice in Australia next year :L.. or at least confirmation from the team

katederby
    Participant

Shabby of the BBC to misspell his name when the original L’Equipe article got it right.

Joel Holland
    Participant

Given the money and connections Pic has behind him i’d expect him to get the drive. D’Ambrosio has been okay at times, pretty poor at others, but ultimately that’s not what matters. Pic’s family are insanely wealthy and have backed him all the way in the junior formulas. He has a brother, Arthur, who currently races FR 3.5 – scary to think what’s being pumped in to these kids’ racing careers.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, how is his name pronounced? Is it “pick” or “peek”?

Pic’s family are insanely wealthy and have backed him all the way in the junior formulas.

At the same time, @jholland, I think he’s ready for Formula 1. He collapsed at the end of the 2011 GP2 season, but he’s had decent results across the board and another season in GP2 isn’t going to teach him anything he doesn’t already know.

Klaas
    Participant

I hope these rumours aren’t true. It would be a shame for Virgin to drop D’Ambrosio. He performed decently (retired only twice due to mechanical problems) given the car performance and that his main objective in his rookie year was to finish the races and learn as much as possible about F1, plus he’s above his team-mate in the standings. He fully deserves another season in F1. I don’t see Pic perfoming better than D’Ambrosio, he’s gonna bring a lot of cash and will eventualy be replaced by a richer driver for 2013.

jihelle
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys: It should be pronounced “pick” and the “s” in Charles is silent.

Calum
    Participant

I wanted Marrusia to get Sutil… him and Glock would have been a good pairing for bringing the team on.

Joel Holland
    Participant

It’s pronounced Sharl Peak.

@Prisoner-Monkeys I agree, now was the time for him to make this move as he could have had a rubbish year in GP2 if he stayed. Look at Dani Clos: 4th in 2010, ninth this season. However there is something a bit rushed about his whole career. He jumped from FR 3.5 a year too soon – he should have done another year and won the thing. And lets not forget he’s always paid his way into mega equipment: Tech 1 in 3.5 and Addax in GP2. Things ill be a lot different in the Masrussia.

@Klaas Ultimately Virgin’s second seat is just a revolving door of half-decent, well-funded drivers. Going on GP2 results Pic is better than d’Ambrosio, who’s only ahead of Glock by dint of Timo having more mechanical issues.

They’ve a better driver than Pic or JdA in Robert Wickens but they can’t afford to run him.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

When you pronounce “Charles Pic” as “Sharl Peak”, he sounds like a Bond villain.

Ultimately Virgin’s second seat is just a revolving door of half-decent, well-funded drivers.

It’s a bit hard until they start makes inroads into the midfield, but I think that once they find someone who is consistent, they will stick with that driver.

Tom_ec1
    Participant

Has d’Ambrosio really done better against Glock than Di Grassi did? I know lots of people say DAM is doing a better job but I’m not so sure.

Joel Holland
    Participant

@tom_ec1 I agree. Had they kept di Grassi on he;d have had a much better second year. Then again if they keep JdA on he’ll have a better second year.

Klaas
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys
    “they find someone who is consistent, they will stick with that driver” – D’Ambrosio has been very consistent, he finished most races (on places that correspond to the car performance) when he could just crash (like Grosjean did at Renault). He resembles Alguersuari – his first season was very quiet but once he got his grips on the car he started to show his teeth.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

But d’Ambrosio clearly has no sponsorship, since they’re looking at replacing him – and in this day and age, having sponsors is part and parcel of stepping into Formula 1.

Joel Holland
    Participant

@Prisoner-Monkeys He has backers – Genii for one. He’s paid for that drive, finishing mid-table in GP2 didn’t earn him the drive. Some have likely pulled out during the year just as they did with di Grassi. You take them promising the exposure of F1 and then when they see what they get for their money – almost no exposure in the case of MVR – and they’ll start dropping off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.