F1

Greatest team principals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kingshark
    Participant

Title of the thread speaks for itself. After reading a very similar topic on autosport; I wanted to discuss this myself on F1F. What were the top 10 team principles of all time?

mine are in no particular order;

Colin Chapman
    Ross Brawn
    Ron Dennis
    Jean Todt
    Frank Williams
    Flavio Briatore
    Enzo Ferrari
    John Cooper
    Jack Brabham
    Bruce Mclaren
    Christian Horner (yes already)

Which are yours?

Calum
    Participant

Ron and Flav weren’t likeable but they got results:

Ron Dennis:
    1984 Constructors Title
    1985 Constructors Title
    1988 Constructors Title
    1989 Constructors Title
    1990 Constructors Title
    1991 Constructors Title
    1998 Constructors Title
    1984 Driver’s Title
    1985 Driver’s Title
    1986 Driver’s Title
    1988 Driver’s Title
    1989 Driver’s Title
    1990 Driver’s Title
    1991 Driver’s Title
    1998 Driver’s Title
    1999 Driver’s Title

Flavio Briatore:
    1994 Driver’s Title
    1995 Driver’s Title
    2005 Driver’s Title
    2006 Driver’s Title
    1995 Constructor’s Title
    2006 Constructor’s Title

Although Frank Williams has been very successful too, him or Ron Dennis would be a good shout for the best, for there longetivity and success.

My final answer is Williams, he was almost killed and the paralysis would have stopped lesser men but he continued to win afterwards.

S.J.M
    Participant

Ken Tyrrell? Him and Jackie Stewart as a force in the late 60s/ early 70s and still a top team through the 70s.

Agree with just about everyone on the list. Not sure i’d add Bruce Mclaren on that though, he died well before they became a top team, perhaps Teddy Mayer should be mentioned as he oversaw some good years with them in the 70s before Ron Dennis gave him a bag of cash for the team.

Slr
    Participant

Christian Horner (yes already)

Really??? What has he ever done? Helmut Marko seems to be more of a leader than he is, all Christian does is complain about other teams and poorly defend criticism towards his own team. Also I doubt Red Bull would have ever been competitive without Adrian Newey.

DamionShadows
    Participant

@slr To be a good manager, you have to keep egos in check and make sure everyone is on the same page, even if there is some discontent. I’d say he’s had his hands full dealing with the rivalry between Seb and Mark, keeping Adrian happy, and dealing with some of the crap Helmut Marko has said.

I understand what you’re saying, but I do give him some credit as far as making the team gel and keep them on winning form.

DamionShadows
    Participant

Whoops, forgot my picks…

Ron Dennis and Colin Chapman for sure. And I may not care for Flavio, but to come from the clothing industry knowing almost nothing about Formula 1 and win four drivers and 2 constructors titles in 12 years is pretty spectacular (I know it wasn’t all him but still…)

raymondu999
    Participant

@Slr the team improved quite well into 2011 though. Great pitstops, great strategy calls, etc.

For me? Brawn, Todt, Briatore and Dennis.

Kingshark
    Participant

For me? Brawn, Todt, Briatore and Dennis.

No Sir Frank? Williams have won more constructors titles than Mclaren you know! :P

Ken Tyrrell? Him and Jackie Stewart as a force in the late 60s/ early 70s and still a top team through the 70s.

Never heard of him before. Sorry, to young.

What has he ever done? Helmut Marko seems to be more of a leader than he is, all Christian does is complain about other teams and poorly defend criticism towards his own team. Also I doubt Red Bull would have ever been competitive without Adrian Newey.

He is still the leader of the Red Bull team. He’s won 2 drivers and 2 constructors titles though he’s only 38, and only been in the sport since 2005. You are making it sound like he’s not even a big influence at Red Bull. Hello, he’s the team manager!

Lin1876
    Participant

Well, in no particular order:

Enzo Ferrari — Ran Ferrari for over 40 years, and involved in racing well before then. Quite simply the core around which the team is built.
    Ron Dennis — Awesome, consistent success from running an incredibly tight ship. The ultimate deal maker.
    Peter Sauber — 42 years on, and only now he’s retiring. Got Mercedes and BMW to invest heavily in his team too.
    Eddie Jordan — Charismatic, kept egos in check, a wheeler-dealer capable of maintaining a team through thick and thin.
    Paul Stoddart — To keep Minardi going for as long as he did is some achievment. Enough said.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Peter Sauber

Journeyer
    Participant

1. Enzo Ferrari
    2. Sir Frank Williams
    3. Ron Dennis
    4. Colin Chapman
    5. Jean Todt
    6. Sir Jack Brabham
    7. Ross Brawn
    8. Ken Tyrrell
    9. Alfred Neubauer
    10. Rob Walker

Will explain my choices later, but it’s a good mix of old and new names.

mnmracer
    Participant

I think many people just see Horner as someone playing with sugar uncle’s money, but I do think the way Red Bull currently is, is mostly thanks to Horner’s managing skills. Don’t forget his Team Arden won three championships in Formula 3000.

In no particular order, I’d say Ross Brawn, Flavio Briatore, Colin Chapman, Ron Dennis, Enzo Ferrari, Christian Horner, Paul Stoddart, Jean Todt, Ken Tyrrell, Frank Williams

raymondu999
    Participant

@Kingshark

No Sir Frank? Williams have won more constructors titles than Mclaren you know! :P

I know – and in his peak he was good. However I can’t really respect him given how bad Williams declined, and how he can be extremely stubborn at times with an unwillingness to change. Well that’s how I feel anyways.

katederby
    Participant

Really??? What has he ever done? Helmut Marko seems to be more of a leader than he is, all Christian does is complain about other teams and poorly defend criticism towards his own team. Also I doubt Red Bull would have ever been competitive without Adrian Newey

As others have already said; wins with Arden, 2 WCC, 2 WDC, managing 2 very competitive drivers, all before the age of 40… it was also Horner who brought Newey to RBR, definitely a master stroke.

damonsmedley
    Participant

Ron Dennis got results, but Whitmarsh is infinitely more likeable. McLaren as a whole is a much better place with Martin around.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.