F1

Hamilton accuses Button in latest Twitter gaffe

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Lewis Hamilton’s latest gaffe on Twitter is an amusing sideshow to the recent news of his impending departure from McLaren:

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/statuses/255073985493073920

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/statuses/255074318478888960

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/statuses/255085826843762690

After the news of Hamilton’s move to Mercedes first broke there was a flurry of Tweets saying Button had unfollowed Hamilton, but they turned out to be inaccurate:

https://twitter.com/f1fanatic_co_uk/status/251642948993826816

Of course who does or doesn’t follow someone Twitter is in itself not particularly interesting, it’s what it tells us about the relationship between Hamilton and Button at McLaren.

magon4
    Participant

it’s like they don’t even know each other.
    and mclaren did try to make that look different, making most of us believe those two got on particularly well.

Kingshark
    Participant

Lewis & Jenson aren’t really friends. It’s all PR, nonetheless, Mclaren did a good job on that matter.

As for this incident, someone stated my thoughts exactly on the comments page page and I couldn’t have said it any better myself.

Mr Hamilton, if you (think) you have a problem with a team mate, be a man and have a face to face conversation with him. Don’t go bleating to the world on social media.

Considering Lewis made the same mistake that thousands of F1 fans, most of the F1 media and myself made last week in jumping to the same conclusion as Lewis did before finding out the truth, I think that it’s pretty cheap and hypocritical that a lot of those same people are now laughing at Lewis for making the same error.

magon4
    Participant

It’s a huge difference, mag-geo!
    You and me are talking about it from the outside. Even if he thought it, he would or should know better not to blurt it out on twitter. I mean, what was his goal? Clearly, none.

necrodethmortem
    Participant

First of all, I think people are laughing at Lewis for being stupid enough to vent on twitter, not because he jumped to a conclusion.

Second, if the F1 media already twittered about that last week, how come Lewis didn’t know about it sooner?

Kingshark
    Participant

Lewis Hamilton is a golden example of a worthy $20,000,000 right foot connected to a one-dollar brain.

Girts
    Participant

I think that the ‘friendship’ between Hamilton and Button never looked very real. They have also had several controversial moments on the track, such as Turkey 2010 or Canada 2011. Now that Lewis is about to leave the team, he obviously feels free to speak his mind.

The fact that Button never followed Hamilton but follows McLaren and several drivers, including Gary Paffett and Nico Rosberg (and now Sergio Perez as well) probably tells you something about the relationship between both McLaren drivers, too. On the other hand, Heikki Kovalainen doesn’t follow LH either and he’s always said that Lewis is his best mate in F1.

Anyway, Twitter certainly adds a lot to the F1 excitment these days. For example, Alguersuari recently started following Force India (he ain’t following any other team), which is seen as a sign that he is about to join the team for 2013. “Who follows whom in F1” could be an exciting topic to research.

electrolite
    Participant

Whaaat? Why would you tweet something like that…and not just keep quiet, geez

RaNdoMz

it just shows how childish he is

Aled Davies
    Participant

Bit painful to see this as a Hamilton fan….always could see that the whole “friends away from the track” line Mclaren tried to pull was a load of manure though!

Interesting to hear that Button has all the journo’s over for dinner once a year…I remember he used to get a lot of stick in his early seasons 2002-03 for example from the British press.

Seems like he learned his lesson there….He must have had Andrew Benson from the BBC over…

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

Fuller should hire a proper PR officer for Hamilton. Or at least someone who can slap his wrist whenever he feels like posting something obscenely stupid on Twitter.

But seriously now, I find Hamilton’s attacks on Button and Perez a bit peculiar. It’s like he is specifically looking for reasons to bash them senseless in the media or online.

One reasonable explanation is that he’s somehow feeling left out, betrayed and silently replaced by McLaren who didn’t agree to his terms and moved on almost instantly when he decided to switch to Merc. Taking it all out on Button or Perez just feels right to him in this situation. I can’t help but wonder, is this Lewis realizing he actually might have made the wrong choice by signing with Mercedes? There’s definitely a fire still burning slowly between him and McLaren even though it all seems resolved now. All this smoke has to come from somewhere and this is the only hypothesis I can come up with. Either this or he’s incredibly simpleminded.

Journeyer
    Participant

Considering Lewis made the same mistake that thousands of F1 fans, most of the F1 media and myself made last week in jumping to the same conclusion as Lewis did before finding out the truth, I think that it’s pretty cheap and hypocritical that a lot of those same people are now laughing at Lewis for making the same error.

That’s the thing – we already MADE that mistake. Had he asked others or even read older tweets first, he could’ve avoided it. And in any case, with such things, always better to say it in private not in public.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.