F1

Hamilton allegedly tells AS Alonso would be ”far beyond” Vettel in same car

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I noticed several websites were running a quote purporting to be from Lewis Hamilton saying that if Fernando Alonso was driving the Red Bull he would be “far beyond” Sebastian Vettel’s pace.

However none of the sites I saw the article on mentioned a source for the quote and some quoted it differently – some put “far beyond” in quote marks, others didn’t. All very dubious.

The source from the article appears to be this piece by Manuel Franco in Diario AS which is a Spanish daily sports tabloid. Here’s the relevant bit:

https://twitter.com/MFranco_AS/status/394022388066570240

-Me hablaba de superación, pero regresa a los títulos, esto tiene que ver con el debate entre el campeón y el mejor piloto. Muchos dicen que Alonso y usted son mejores que Vettel, pero el alemán se va a proclamar campeón por cuarta vez…

-Pues sí, pero ya he dicho mi opinión muchas veces sobre esto, siempre tengo que hablar de ello y quizá sea normal, pero realmente no hay mucho que decir y si dijera algo quizá fuera malinterpretado. Lo cierto es que hay muchos grandes pilotos y si tienes un piloto top en un coche top pues te va a hacer un gran trabajo seguro.

-¿Habría ganado usted los cuatro títulos de Vettel de estar en Red Bull?

-Realmente no lo puedo decir, sería una tontería por mi parte decirlo, pero sí tengo claro que si Fernando hubiera estado en ese coche… estaría mucho más lejos de lo que está Vettel ahora, ganaría aún más fácil.

I only speak enough Spanish to get a hotel bed and a coffee, so here’s a Google Translate interpretation.

‘I spoke to excel, but returns to the titles, this has to do with the debate between the champion and the best driver. Many say that you are better Alonso and Vettel, but the German will proclaim champion for the fourth time…

‘Yes, but I said my opinion many times about this, whenever I have to talk about it and it may be normal, but really not much to say and if you say something might be misinterpreted. The truth is there are many great drivers and if you have a top driver in a car top because you will do a great job for sure.

– Would you won four titles being Vettel at Red Bull?

-I can not really say, it would be foolish for me to say, but I have clear that if Fernando had been in that car … would be far beyond what is now Vettel would win even easier.

Hamilton’s views on Vettel have been a source of considerable debate recently, not least after his recent Twitter ‘clarification’. So it would be interesting to hear from anyone who does speak Spanish whether his quotes have been accurately reported by those who have seemingly pinched them without crediting the original source.

Here’s a translation volunteered by Karmen Legazpi on Twitter:

“I really can’t say, it would be foolish of me to say, but what I do know is that had Fernando been racing in that car… he would’ve been far beyond where Vettel is now, he’d have won more easily”

Kribana
    Participant

I speak Spanish, Italian and French, but what the Spanish source stated was all right. Yes the source is correct and accurate. However, the second question means:

If you were in a Red Bull, would you have won those 4 titles that Sebastian had or is going to occur?

However…

Kribana
    Participant

To get this correct, we must see Lewis’ interview with the press. Otherwise, anything we do is unbiased. That’s the only way we can say it’s correct

Sheila
    Participant

I agree with Karmen, I’m Spanish, I know that journalist and I wouldn’t be too convinced either that what he wrote is what Lewis really said. Let’s say that sometimes that paper’s translations are very “free”.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@keithcollantine This is more of an analysis, but f Lewis said that he couldn’t say whether he’d win, yet at the same time said that Fernando would easily win, then if some F1F readers are right about Lewis referring to 2007 by prasing his then team-mate, then the article is certainly wrong.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s the kind of thing Hamilton would say. It’s also the kind of thing the AS would twist and sell as a truth.

Whatever the case, it doesn’t really matter. We know Hamilton lives in his little world where only he and Alonso are the best, and we know most of the Spanish press is embarrasingly biased, so either way there’s nothing here we didn’t know already.

Loup Garou
    Participant

It’s the kind of thing Hamilton would say. It’s also the kind of thing the AS would twist and sell as a truth.
    Whatever the case, it doesn’t really matter. We know Hamilton lives in his little world where only he and Alonso are the best, and we know most of the Spanish press is embarrasingly biased, so either way there’s nothing here we didn’t know already.

My thoughts exactly. Hamilton has the habit of shooting himself in the foot by silly comments most of which are intended to remind everyone that he is there too. Pathetic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.