F1

Hamilton – better in 07?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    raymondu999
    Participant

Hey folks; just wondering what you guys think.

I think in 2007; Hamilton was much more consistent. It’s much more difficult to judge speed from year to year; so we won’t really know if he’s faster/slower now, but somehow, I get the sense that he was more consistent in 2007. Also, I feel that he was a better overtaker in 2007. He still is an amazing overtaker, and still is one of the best, but no longer does he produce the kind of moves that will send you going “holy cow how did he do that!?”

What do you all think?

Cristian
    Participant

He is better now! He just had the best car back then and all the team’s support against Alonso.

Harvs
    Participant

yea well now days the tyres are not as durable, you cant do any “holy cow how did he do that” move coz you will wreck the tyres, we have had none of those types of moves this year. and there is “I cant pass you through talent, so i use DRS”

do a “holy cow how did he do that” and you will probably lock the tryes and ruin them and have to pit early.

raymondu999
    Participant

@Cristian – yes both are valid points, but you have to remember that his first 9 races in F1, were all podiums. So we know he CAN be consistent. But where has this consistency gone?

@Harv – very good point, I get what you’re saying. Having said that there are still some flashes of overtaking brilliance from him and other drivers this year too. For example the Mark Webber Eau Rouge pass; and the Vettel Blanchimont pass. Lewis’ pass on Vettel in China wasn’t super spectacular, but when you think about his thinking process behind it, it was a beautifully set-up pass too.

Icthyes
    Participant

In 2007 he was fresh and new, the next year was quite pressurising as he had to lead the team after coming so close before and then for the next three seasons he’s been over-driving, trying to make up for the car (apart from the first 2/3 of 2010, which was some beautiful driving from Hamilton). I don’t know if the tyres or DRS have much to to do with it, interesting thought though.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

I’d say Hamilton was a better driver in 2007 than he has been since. He didn’t have that win or bust attitude that so many people praise these days, but wouldn’t his fans prefer him to win more championships rather than the odd epic one off victory followed by silly errors and over driving?

The driving style he has now isn’t the driving style that almost won him the championship in his debut year. I thought he’d got it back in 2010, but towards the end of the year he went back to his overdriving ways and hasn’t really recovered since.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think he has a much better car for both halves of the season in 2007… red bull also had big problems that year

raymondu999
    Participant

Let’s not confuse two things here. His DRIVING style; (i.e. the racing lines he takes; the driving techniques, how he applies throttle/brakes/steering) is still pretty much the same. But his racing management is sorely lacking since that epic 2007. I’d argue any day that he was better in 2007 than he was even in 2008.

Cristian
    Participant

About his consistency: I think he was so consistent because he was at his debut in F1 and didn’t want to mess it up. At the start of the 2007 season he was satisfied with finishing on the podium. After that he realized he was good enough to win races and even the title at his first attempt. He gained more confidence with each race and he tried to go for the win ( and only for the win:) )!!

He lost the title because, IMO, he was overwhelmed by what he was on the verge of achieving in his first season. In 2008 he almost lost the title partially because in the final race he tried something that wasn’t his style, and partially because of the pressure again.

He is a great driver already,but he is too aggresive, he tries those all or nothing passes even when not needed, he is a bit arrogant for his own good , as raymondu pointed out his racing management could be improved, he suffers because he didn’t have the best car in the last few years and fails under pressure. This are in my opinion his most important flaws , but in spite of them he still is a great driver.

Todfod
    Participant

Personally, I think 2007 was Hamilton’s best season to date. He was up against 3 drivers in top form for the 2007 title, and it was one costly mistake in China, and a freak incident in Brazil that prevented him from taking the title that year.

2008 Lewis drove really well too. But he wasn’t facing serious competition from Kimi or his teammate that year. He drove well throughout that season, but needed a little luck to wrap up the title. 2009 and 2010 he drove as well as he did in the 2008 season, with some majors highs and lows, but I still didn’t think he was as stellar as he was in 2007.

2011 has definitely been his poorest season thus far.

raymondu999
    Participant

I have to slightly disagree with your 2007 point. I think he faced 2 strong competitors; but not 3. I don’t think Massa was as strong as Kimi in 2007.

Cristian
    Participant

Massa was not as strong as Kimi, but was still strong.

JT19
    Participant

I thought this as well. Judging by my avatar, I am a massive Hamilton fan but I am worried if he is turning into Jacques Villenueve! Great rookie season, Champion in second season, win some races in the remaining seasons but nothing achieved for it.

Or even worse….Juan Pablo Montoya!!

Cristian
    Participant

No way is he turning into a Jacques Villeneuve. He is massively talented and my guess is he will win at least one more title. With Montoya he shares an affinity for trouble…:)

Ell
    Participant

You must remember in 07 that he had the best car, he was in his rookie season and had a team mate who had won two world titles in the last two years. He isn’t as consistent now, but at times he produces moments of magic. I do support him (massively ), and I seriously hope he gets his consistency back. It may be down to the inconsistency of his car.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.