• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 4 hours, 6 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Hamilton vs Rosberg and Button vs Perez

This topic contains 43 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jake Jake 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Pelican
    Pelican
    Participant

I think Hamilton and Rosberg will be the tortoise and the hare (irrespectively). If their car is any good, I think Hamilton will finish way ahead of Rosberg, but if the car is troublesome, Rosberg’s consistancy would probably win out. At McLaren, I suspect Perez will make more headlines with fast and flashy driving, but Button will rack up more points.

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

If their car is any good, I think Hamilton will finish way ahead of Rosberg, but if the car is troublesome, Rosberg’s consistancy would probably win out.

That’s exactly what I think will happen, actually.

Profile photo of SirCoolbeans
    SirCoolbeans
    Participant

It is fun to speculate on these things. It’s never as simple as it first appears.

I honestly thought Hamilton would perform a lot better than Button when they joined up at McLaren, but it hasn’t turned out that way. In the near three years together Hamilton has scored 609 points to Button’s 603 points. There’s only a 6 point difference since the start of the 2010 season. That means in the 52 races that Button and Hamilton have raced in identical cars Button has scored over 99% of the points that Hamilton has. Which is incredible.

However I still want to say Perez will be faster than Button. Ha, it will be an interesting year.

Profile photo of AdrianMorse
    AdrianMorse
    Participant

@sircoolbeans,

That means in the 52 races that Button and Hamilton have raced in identical cars Button has scored over 99% of the points that Hamilton has. Which is incredible.

It is remarkable, although a points tally doesn’t always tell the full story. During their time at BMW, Nick Heidfeld outscored Robert Kubica, but I don’t think there are many that will argue Heidfeld was the better driver.

Profile photo of Aled Davies
    Aled Davies
    Participant

“It is remarkable, although a points tally doesn’t always tell the full story. During their time at BMW, Nick Heidfeld outscored Robert Kubica, but I don’t think there are many that will argue Heidfeld was the better driver.”

@AdrianMorse – That’s a great point. It’s similar to Mercedes this year, Schumacher has been the better driver but Rosberg has more points. In the Hamilton-Button contest it’s a similar situation. How many failures has Button had compared to Hamilton this year? That’s why he’s as close to Lewis this year. Lewis has made arguably 1 mistake this season, he could of probably let Maldonado past in Valencia. other than that, he’s been superb and well ahead of Button. The only times Button has out driven Hamilton this season were Australia and Spa.

I think Hamilton will beat Rosberg, I think he’s the ideal number 2 driver, he’ll always be there racking up points but I dont seem him ever regularly competing for Wins if he’s up against Hamilton now that Lewis has got his head sorted. I also think Mercedes will be more comforting to Lewis and he will perform even better if they get a decent car.

I think Button will have Perez covered for the first season because Perez is still a bit inconsistent and JB will have the car development for next season more towards his liking.

SirCoolbeans
    Participant

I appreciate points aren’t always the best comparison, but I do feel the points comparison in this case is valid. This points comparison is over three seasons. I’d say that is long enough for reliability randomness and other unfair events to be smoothed out due to the passing of additional races. Hey, that three year period is half of Hamilton’s own career! The reality is that 609 points to 603 is bloody close, it’s nearly identical, and much closer than many of us expected.

Profile photo of AdrianMorse
    AdrianMorse
    Participant

@sircoolbeans,

I’d say that is long enough for reliability randomness and other unfair events to be smoothed out due to the passing of additional races.

Not really, though. Perhaps this isn’t the thread to go into a race-by-race comparison of Button and Hamilton, but in 2010 Hamilton lost a lot more points due to unreliability than Button, in 2011 Button lost a little bit more than Hamilton, and in 2012 Hamilton has again lost quite a lot more than Button.

An interesting question is whether the difference in reliability can be attributed to their driving styles. Over the past three years, Hamilton has had a lot of gearbox failures (off the top of my head: Hungary 2010, Japan 2010 – both a grid penalty and a malfunction during the race -, Brazil 2011, China 2012 – grid penalty – Singapore 2012), whereas I don’t recall any for Button.

SirCoolbeans
    Participant

I guess we’ll have to just disagree with each other here. :D

Points are how championships are decided, and how financial rewards are decided in the world of formula 1. Points are everything ultimately, and I honestly believe that three years worth of points between two drivers in identical cars is a great way of judging how a driver has done. Yes some drivers suffer misfortune and that reflects how many points they score, but over that period that long (in the F1 world) it’s just tit for tat stats, it’s the points that decide championship positions after all.

History will show that Button and Hamilton were evenly matched and that as team mates neither of them won a world championship (depending on the end of this season obviously).

Profile photo of Tyrrell
    Tyrrell

I hope Rosberg defeats Hamilton – it would be a shame if we were denied the entertainment of Hamilton’s petulant sulks! (You will gather I am not a fan of Hamilton. There is no-one I respect more in F1 than Ross Brawn – however Mercedes GP now have one less supporter). Just to fantasise for a moment – if Mercedes pull out of running the team and AMG take over – RB return to Ferrari a possibility?!
    I think Button will have the measure of Peres for a year or two yet.

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

I’ve never been convinced with Perez to be honest. I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but that’s my honest opinion. The Sauber in my view is a better car than Kobayashi and Perez are showing – I think there are several races they should have won already.

I mean for example while Pastor was making a poodle out of the last 5 races in GP2 2010 – scoring 0 points – Perez still couldn’t make the deficit up, and ended 16 points down in a 10-point-win format.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@kingshark

Let’s see how good these British drivers really are.

I think that in reality, you should say: “Lets see how good Jenson really is.”

And I could give you an answer…. he´ll get squashed by Perez. I also believe we will hear a whole lot more complaining from Button than what he usually does…
    I will certainly enjoy next season!

BTW, I think that the skeptics should calm down about Mercedes…. I am positive that we will see a much better team next season and they will be in title contention! Anybody is welcome to quote me on that!

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

“Points are everything ultimately, and I honestly believe that three years worth of points between two drivers in identical cars is a great way of judging how a driver has done”

It is a nice comparison, but I believe that Hamilton has suffered more due to misfortune. More important is the standings each year, and Hamilton comes out on top. That is when points matter- in each individual year rather than a grand total. He’s also been truly in the hunt for 2 championships to a greater degree than Button, who failed this year, failed last year with Hamilton, and faded before Hamilton in 2010.

Profile photo of Neil Barone
    Neil Barone

Jason Burton beat Perez. Hamiton is good and Rosburg is worstor so I think Hamiton beate Nick Rosburg as well. I look forword to sea star driver Alexander Rossi in F1

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

Jason Burton? Nick Rosburg? LMAO! Who are you thinking of?

Profile photo of Broom
    Broom
    Participant

I think Button will batter Perez at the start but as Perez adapts it will become very close. Hamilton will initially struggle before eventually establishing himself as team leader.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.