F1

Heidfeld as good as confirmed?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Collantine 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Not sure I’m buying that argument PM.

The point I’m trying to make is not that Nick Heidfeld won’t get the job, but rather that he won’t get the job simply by showing up in Jerez. If that were the case, Renault wouldn’t need a short-list of drivers.

RIISE

I would like to see Bruno get his chance purely to see who is the best out of him and Petrov. Problem is development, Vitali wants everything on his lap and Bruno just doesn’t have the experience.

Heidfeld is the best choice and if Renault don’t choose him they will regret it.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Well, from what Boullier’s been saying it’s Heidfeld’s to lose. I think it’s quite clear that neither Senna, Grosjean, di Grassi, Hulkenberg, or any other youngster will get the seat. If Heidfeld mucks up somehow then presumably they will look towards another experienced driver like de la Rosa or Liuzzi… but I doubt that either of them are as good as Heidfeld

US_Peter
    Participant

It’s definitely looking like everything’s pointing towards Heidfeld at the moment. When Boullier said in Valencia that Senna was first in line to replace a driver, what he should have said was that Senna is first in line to replace Petrov, but not Kubica. Can’t wait to see how Senna does in a decent car, but I have a feeling that he’ll have to be significantly quicker than Heidfeld to get the seat. Even then, it will probably only make Renault hesitate for a moment before signing Heidfeld. This is yet another example of why a little testing for reserve/test drivers would be a good thing. If Senna had had a chance to do some testing and provide feedback for development, he’d be in the running. As it is he won’t be picked because he doesn’t have that experience, but if he doesn’t get picked he’ll never have that experience. It kind of becomes a bit of a Catch 22.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Maybe Heidfeld should step in for Kubica and Senna could replace Petrov? That would be funny… a bit of a two fingered salute to Putin and his oil money! But saying as Renault are a bit skint that ain’t gonna happen obviously

Anonymous

I was just wondering. only 4 drivers can be used during a season by any one team. HRT used 4 last year, Ferrari the year before.

I know we’re still in testing, and pretty much anyone can drive any car right now. But seeing as Kubica and Petrov were already confirmed as the team’s 2 drivers to take part in the season proper, would having Heidfeld drive the #9 car in Melbourne (ahem, sorry, Bahrain… keep forgetting that – it’s not hard to really, is it?) class him as the 3rd driver used by Renault this season? Or does the ‘4-drivers-per-season’ only start at the first race, even though Kubica had already been confirmed.

Fixy
    Participant

Interesting point. I think Kubica has only driven in test and as you say, anyone can drive in tests. I think the drivers count in having participated in GPs, and Kubica hasn’t. I could be completely wrong.

f1alex
    Participant

Well considering his fastest time today, I’d say Eric’s already made up his mind. Unless Bruno goes out tomorrow and knocks a second off it!

Stephen Jones
    Participant

i was 50/50 about senna or quick nick, but after today…

Hare
    Participant

However… If Nick doesn’t deliver the goods in good time, one can imagine Bahar sending Senna in to grab some fans.

( in to the car, not in to the crowds…. )

Stephen Jones
    Participant

or into the wall..

actually that’s petrovs job.. -runs away quickly-

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

However… If Nick doesn’t deliver the goods in good time, one can imagine Bahar sending Senna in to grab some fans.

( in to the car, not in to the crowds…. )

Did anybody else have a vision of Bahar sending Senna into the crowd to find a new driver?

Hare
    Participant

I dunno, I’ve literally just woken up, and I had a vision of Senna sending Bahar in to the desert to find a new Monkey…I think I need more sleep!!

Girts
    Participant

I think Heidfeld is really the obvious choice for Renault. For sure, I would prefer to see some promising rookie or Senna / Hulkenberg as Kubica’s replacement. But I can understand Renault’s (most likely) choice very well. Heidfeld is experienced, he knows how to develop an F1 car, he can score regular points and even podiums. And you never know when a driver is going to reach his peak. Look at Webber – he got his 1st win only in his 130th race but then won 5 more races in the next one and a half seasons and was not very far from winning the DWC in 2010. It is also remarkable that Heidfeld’s team mates have won only one GP while driving for the same team. So Heidfeld has almost never had a car that’s capable of winning races, too.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.